Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Palm Coast, Florida
“Don't Go There”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

No desk clerk upon arrival. Waited and waited. Finally,we got registered. Walked upstairs to room with luggage, but entry card did not work. Back downstairs we go. Given another entry card. Walked back upstairs, only to find room was not made up, in total disarray. Walked back downstairs, given another key and told to go to another room. Back upstairs we go with our luggage. Staircase was filthy. Area around spindles never cleaned and balls of dust evident. Hallway carpeting needed cleaning close to all the walls. No coffee or cookies available, as advertised. I checked my bank account via the internet and found they had charged my account over $20. more than they should have. I advised them and they said it would be corrected. It wasn't. A few days later I contacted the head office of Country Inn and Suites, and a day or so later my account was credited with the amount they overcharged. The next morning, we attended the buffet breakfast and it was excellent. Still, I would never go back there and would not recommend it to any travellers. Have stayed at other Country Inn and Suites and was always happy, particularly the one in Ashland, Va. Not this time. Only one restaurant and a greasy Burger King available. Find alternative accommodations.

Room Tip: My suggestion is to go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank RonOfBath
countryinndoswell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion), responded to this review, February 13, 2012
I would like to start by saying that I am deeply sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us at COUNTRY INN & SUITES DOSWELL. I have passed your comments along to our management team so that we are able to ensure that this does not happen again. If you get a chance would you please contact us so we can offer you some sort of compensation for your stay. You can contact us at 804-612-8450 and ask for the front desk manager. I do sincerely apologize that you stay was anything less than exceptional. It is our hope that you will allow us to have another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service in future.

With sincere apologies,

Aman Parekh
Country Inn & Suites Doswell
(804)-612-8450

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is the second year we have stopped there on our way to Florida. Both stays were great. Rooms fine and beds excellent. That is important after 11 hours of driving.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I was passing through Doswell on some business and came across this country inn. The lady at check in was very friendly and made me feel very welcomed. Sorry forgot her name. The room was very clean and large. Thanks for a clean friendly place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I was surprised when I read some of these reviews on my return as my overnight stay was fine - however, my room was at the front and I wasn't aware of any train tracks at the rear of the property.
Good value for money, a comfortable room - larger than usual and a helpful young lady on the front desk.
I would return but would insist on a front facing room!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike D
countryinndoswell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion), responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Melinda,

On behalf of our entire staff here at Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Aman Parekh
Country Inn & Suites Doswell
804-612-8450
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Was put into a suite with no refrigerator and dirty towels in the closet. Room wasn't clean at all. Went to front desk to see if all rooms had none or just our room and was looked at like I was an alien. Got put into a different room that still wasn't exactly clean. The hotel is almost sitting on top of the train tracks and it feels like an earthquake when a frieght train passes every two hours throughout the night. Manager/owner is rude and apparently doesn't like to do his own job. Still fighting with the corporate offices about wrong charges and threats from the manager.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Megan L
Hartford ct
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I booked a room with 2 queen beds through Orbitz @ $54.99 a night and Orbitz gave me a room with 1 king bed since they only saw 2 people in the room. Since orbitz booked the wrong room, the managment at this hotel would NOT change my reservation or give me a different room. The hotel had at least 90% of their rooms open. The management wanted me to keep the room and for an additional $15 per night change my room to a king suite. How does 4 people sleep in a king bed and one couch? So my traveling partner booked another room with 2 queen beds, they charged her $69.99 a night since I cancelled my king room and stayed with her.

So........... the hotel made out financially. I will never stay at this chain of hotels since the management is so unhelpful!!!!!

Room Tip: There is a train track RIGHT behind the hotel............they will wake you at night!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Some of the reviews I read before booking had led me to expect a slightly sub standard stay, but since none of the other hotels in the area seemed to fare much better in the reviews department; I figured I would try this place anyway.

As it turned out, I was pleased to find that my stay was quite comfortable. The halls and elevator had a worn and less than tidy look about them but I was relieved to find that my room was impeccably clean. I have heard much about the trains that pass near the hotel, but with my room facing out over the front parking lot, I never heard a thing.

Despite the one instance when I had to call the hotel on my cell phone in order to get someone to the front desk to help me, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

All in all, if you want an economic option that is right across the street from Kings Dominion or a short drive away from the Meadow Event Park, this is a solid option.

Room Tip: If you are worried about the trains, request a room at the front of the building.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)? Share your experiences!