Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Greenville, North Carolina
“good will return”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The room overall was good, beds were comfortable, kings dominion is across the street but it is a good walk. convenient store next door. overall had a good experience the only problem was when i requested new towels since i didn't request to have my room clean, they were short on towels and wash cloths and they counted the towels and wash cloths to make sure they were all there. the only other problem which was minor was the jacuzzi was only lukewarm. There is a train track next to the hotel i did hear the train at night however it wasn't annoying though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at here the weekend of July 22 & 23, 2011, while going to Kings Dominion. We had no problems at all. The staff were very accomodating and nice. The rooms were huge, clean and smelled clean. Now, if I have to put a few cons, they would be:
~~not much in the area...7-11 with a gas station (prices were ok, but cheaper in Ashland)
~~Burger King on corner and Denny's across the street, although we did not eat at either of them. We took a 15 minute ride to Ashland and ate at El Azteca, which was really GREAT!
~~we did request a room towards that front, so we did not hear the train. I didnt hear it at all, but my husband said he did, but it was faint.

The pros, definitly out way the cons:
~~Kings Dominion was right across the street and really good...they allow you to re-enter the park with a hand stamp and you can keep your receipt for parking ($12.00), so you do not have to pay again.
~~Country Inn's breakfast was really good...Waffles, eggs, sausage, biscuits, bagles, oatmeal and plenty to drink.
~~Right off of 95 or Route 301. Easy Access on and off.

Hope this helps when deciding where to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the front.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2011

When you look at this property on-line, you see a lovely, green lawn and rooms that appear pristine. This was probably true for the first year it was in operations. What you couldn't see, even from the beginning, was a train track that goes behind that hotel not twenty-five yards away, and long freight trains thunder through there several times during the day and night - you can feel it in the floor. The green lawn in front of all three of the hotels clustered there has completely gone to weed - looks awful. It's also clear that no money is going into maintenance, and in my room alone there were several faults that had to have been there from the hotel's construction. Is it tolerable? Just barely, but you should really just get a hotel in Richmond and drive up. You'd be happier.

Room Tip: Book hotels in Richmond for King's Dominion.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Prior to arrival, I had booked and requested a 1 bedroom suite at the front of the building(because of all night train noise) and away from the elevator. Upon arrival, I was told they had nothing available, but the clerk did finally find one. I went up to see the room and found the room had not been cleaned; I told the clerk and she notified housekeeping to clean the room. Two hours later, I returned to find the room still not cleaned, the sofabed still had dirty sheets on it, the comforter on the bed was soiled, and the number of towels inadequate. I spoke with the manager, who appeared angry that I was making a fuss about all of this, telling me that they did accomodate my requests for the room in front. I found him to be rude and condescending in the manner with which he spoke to me. After he brought clean linen for the sofabed and towels, and because we were exhausted from our trip, we cleaned the room with Clorox wipes(the dust was very thick on every surface and the bathroom was nasty) and stayed the night. I asked for compensation for the awful experience and was given a $25.00 discount. Instead of staying the next 2 nights, I checked out and went to a nearby hotel where we were treated with respect and given a clean, comfortable room. When I got home, I found that I was charged for all 3 nights! I spoke with the manager who said my card would be credited...I'm still waiting at this point.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank retire2travel2008
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed two days (April 5-7). Upon checking in we were told about a train that passes by at night (we had a suite facing back of the hotel). So if you can ignore a train passing (5mins or so) then get a suite or you can get a room in the front. I am not sure if you can here the train from the front. This didn't concern me much since my main reason for staying here was for Kings Dominion. The location from the hotel to the park is great. We walked over with no issues. Parking for the hotel was free for us at the time and the price for our stay was cheaper than others around the Doswell location. Oh the breakfast was very basic cereal, muffins, begals, and waffle bar (with a long line).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Va Beach
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Right across from Kings Dominion. Down hill from there. I don't think they realize that there is an amusement park across the street. If they do, they probably want to consider hiring a few more front desk and house keeping associates. Extremely noisy, but to be expected based on location. Can't beat the location, but little value or service to be had.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Duncan, South Carolina
Reviewed December 4, 2010

it was fun!!! I got there used a coupon and it cost $56.00 they had swimming pool, jaccuzzi, a really great breakfast, the accomodations were nice it was really clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)? Share your experiences!