“Ok Stay”

Days Inn Doswell at Kings Dominion
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Doswell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Selma
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We did join the Kings Dominion 40 st. Birthday Party and found everything well organized and clean.
Breakfast could have been been a lttle better, the Kids did miss eggs and sausage.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stay at this Days Inn every time I'm in the Doswell-Ashland area. The owners go out of their way to make a guest comfortable. We are on a first-name basis and it's the next best thing to going "home". It is clean and comfortable, although a little dated. If you have any kind of issue, they will address it. Don't expect Mom's cooking in the morning, but you can get fruit and pastry.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Doswell
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place is a dump:
1. Doors do not close.
2. Corridors reek of cigarette.
3. Telephones do not work.
4. Front desk does not understand how to deal with issues.
5. The manager Chetan Shah (Owner I presume) did not care about our complaints.
6. This place needs to be shut down.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank Narayanan R
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

OMG - I decided to rest and not drive sleepy at 1200AM but at 1258, 0501, 0558 & 0715 the train right next to the hotel came and no chance of sleep. Maybe ask for a room in the front and not rear ?

Breakfast was free so can't complain lol. Folks staying in the hotel were fantastic conversationalists.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank NorthernVirgin1a
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Long Read (4302 Characters).

My wife and I drove up a day early for the Fishing Expo at the State Fairground on Saturday. And since we were only going to be there for one night, I used my Wyndham Rewards points for a free night. I still do not see how they can call this a level 4 stay. Unless they use a 10 point system.

Upon entering the hotel there was a strong odor of Lysol. Not that it had been used for cleaning, but to cover up some other smell. I had to ring the bell twice to get someone to the front desk so we could check in. On my reservation request I had asked for a first floor room. Apparently the desk clerk didn't like that I questioned why he needed a credit card since my room was free. I was told that it was for incidentals. I hate that word incidentals. He was hoping he could charge me $10.00 for one of his nasty bath towels or $5.00 for a wash rag. Thats what they have posted in the bathroom. On our return trip from dinner I had to ask for the password to the slow-speed internet.

We were given room 212 right beside the elevator. I should have immediately asked for another room. When we exited the elevator for the first time I almost felt like I was in a child's doll house. At my height (6'-1") the ceiling was awful close. The hallway had a bad stale smell to it. So I knew then why there was such a strong smell of lysol on the first floor. It just hadn't made it to the second floor yet. Upon entering the room I felt a little better. The carpet still should have been replaced 10 years ago. The patter was obsolete back in 1920. The bed linens had definitely seen better days. But, for one night they would do what we needed them to do. I don't know where these hotels get those old TV with big picture tubes, we did get to watch the news and weather so that was enough. The bright spots in the room was the refrigerator and the AC unit. Both of them work almost quietly.

Looking out the back window I knew we were going to be in for a noisy night. There was a train track only about a hundred feet from the back of the hotel. Maybe I am not an expert at calculating distance, but it wasn't much more than that. Before we could get things put away to go out and get some dinner, our first train came through. Now don't get me wrong. I love trains. But, when the pictures on the wall rattle and you can't hear the TV, thats a little to close. If I remember correctly there was about eight trains that came through during the night. Thankfully the elevator turned out to be a mute point. We kinda got adjusted to the noise after a while. I spoke with one of the other patrons and he told me there was even more trains the night before. And his room was on the frontside of the building.

After being awakened several time during the night, I finally decided to get up at 4am to do some work on the computer. After entering the password, I was wondering if the hotel was on a dial-up internet. It took a long time to do anything. And I have a macbook that works fine. An hour of that anguish and I was over it.

The shower worked well once the warm water arrived. The bathroom exhaust fan sounded like a crop duster airplane waiting to take off. I just didn't realize how loud it was the night before. The sound wan not conducive to letting your wife sleep while taking your turn in the bathroom.

About 6:30am I went down to check on the status of breakfast. I did not like what I saw. I said good morning to the manager and he never said a word. He just went into the storage closet next to the dinning area and started putting bagel on a little tray. No gloves, just bare hands. I believe there are health codes that need to be followed. You do not store cleaning supplies in the same closet with food items. No need to say anything. He doesn't want to listen anyway. If I liked having a carbohydrate overload for breakfast, this would have been great. I didn't even entertain the idea of eating here.

I went back up to the room and woke up my wife. I told here what I had witnessed. Needless to say, the lack of sleep she gotten that night didn't set well with her either. Soon after that we was checked out of that place and gone. Denny's here we come.

The rest of our day was great. I sure hope this help someone else make the right decision.

Room Tip: The best way to get a good room here is to stay somewhere else.