“It's ok if you want to stay with construction workers.”
Review of Centerstone Inn

Centerstone Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed July 30 and 31. When we arrived it took 30 minutes to check in. The staff speak a foreign language and they spoke to each other in their language and we could not understand a thing they were saying. Which I thought was very rude. The room was ok for a best western, it wasn't dirty but the beds were very uncomfortable. After we checked in we went to the pool and we decided to have a few drinks. $9.25 for a margaritta and they only filled the cup half way. We spent 37.00 for 4 drinks. And they have a rule no drinks allowed near the pool area unless they are purchased at the pool bar. The pool had extremely to much chlorine in it. I was swimming with my 7 year old son and we went under to wave at each other and I could not see him. It was so cloudy. We swam for about an hour and went back to the room, His eyes were so red from the chlorine, they started burning him and he ended up crying himself to sleep. I rinsed his eyes with cold water and held a cool rag on his eyes with no relief. We were on the bottom floor and whoever stayed above us was constantly spitting off the balcony. One woman came out of her room and dumped a cup of water right on my husbands foot. We will not be staying here again.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 21, 2008

We just returned from 4 night / 5 day stay at Kings Dominion Kings Quarters. I have to say that I was a little concerned about going there after I read some of the reviews posted. I contacted the mgr. (Dave C.) after reading some reviews; he was very honest about the property and accommodations.
I'm glad I did not change my hotel choice.
First let me say that you can not beat the location....once you park, you don't need to use your car again. Loved that!
Our rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a theme park view (across the parking lot) and a pool side view. The recreation area was nice, the kids (age 22 months to 14 years) really enjoyed the pool (nice, large and clean) and the playground. The pool was open until midnight so when you returned from the park, there was still plenty of time to take a quick swim. There were many things to do on the grounds of the hotel which was nice. There is an on site Denny's (24 hours) which was good for a quick breakfast or late night take out. There is also a lounge, game room, tennis courts, shuffle board and mini golf.
The Pizzaria Uno could use some improvement but it was not terrible either.
All in all, we had a great time - the staff was very friendly and helpful.
I am extreamley picky about where I stay and where I may return to - I would recommend this hotel and I would definitly stay here again.

Reviewed July 15, 2008

I only recommend this hotel if you are highly desperate or looking for convenience.

This hotel is right across the street from the Kings Dominion parking lot which is very convenient. You can walk or take the shuttle. I booked our stay here just for that luxury because my husband was going to have to drive elsewhere for one night with my son for a LL ballgame so I needed to be able to take my daughters to the theme park the next morning. If you need convenience, would rather not drive 5 miles and pay $10/day to park, and like your hotel to have tennis courts, shuffleboard, ping pong as well as an outdoor pool, this place is for you.

We had to get a rollaway for our third child and upon turning down the sheets, saw a huge (like 16" diameter) urine stain in the middle. They assured me the sheets were clean. I asked, "Would you like to sleep on them?" Who changed this bed and actually thought it would go unnoticed? Or better yet, who didn't change this bed? My child still had to sleep on the mattress...was it clean??? Yuck!

Even though I wasn't going to use the rollaway one night, they made me keep it and pay for it because I'd need it the next night and it may not be available. Isn't that what a reservation is for?

Each time housekeeping came, they left 4 towels, 4 washcloths, and 4 cups. Hello!!!! We have a rollaway and are paying $12/day + tax for it. Can we get one more of each of those things??? I ended up having to hide towels so we'd have enough.

Guest book in room says charge to use the safe is $1/day + tax. We were charged $2/day + tax.

My advice: Stay somewhere else. This place is outrageously priced for the quality. We ended up paying about $170/night and that's with AAA discount and NO extras except rollaway and safe charge. We did not have a refrigerator or microwave. No continental breakfast, only Denny's or Burger King at this exit...unless you want to eat all meals at Kings Dominion. This hotel is not worth the price.

2  Thank OUR-FAMILY-OF-5
Reviewed July 14, 2008

If you value your life, sanity and credit card ...Don't Stay Here!!!!!
I am totally serious this place is really, really bad.

The place is filthy, bugs in the room. Stinky towels. Moldy odors.
Not to mention the dubious characters that are hanging around all day and literally all night long. Very loud and obnoxious. We were scared to death

They gouge your credit card with a fees. One such fee is for a safe that is in the room that you don't even use. They are supposed to remove it upon request. However they don't and compliants to their customer service don't matter a bit.

It is not worth your time or money to stay here.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank alsamcar
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Expected quality for the price we paid. Room was clean and the location was good.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank mandygirl77
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We travel up and down the esst coast quite a bit and always try to stay at a Best Western. This is one to avoid!! True, you are a short walk to King's Dominion Theme Park, but the rooms and some of the service is not what I expect. When we checked in on 8/31, the music was blaring in the lobby so much so that I could not hear the young man who was checking me in. Our room was disgusting!! There was mold growing on the ceiling and the stench was unbearable. We asked for another room and did get one. This one had a newly painted ceiling, and the smell was not as bad, but we did spend time with the door opened to allow fresh air into the room. And the beds were like swaybacked camels!!
The pool area was ok. Again the music was very loud and some of the music played was not appropriate for young listeners. The Denny's was not so good either. The coffee tasted like pancake grease and the french fries were soggy.
I guess they must be used to complaints because when I checked out I was not asked "How was your stay?" or even a "Thank You for staying".
It's too bad because they have a captive audience for people who want to stay near the park...but we will not be staying here again!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank heidijot
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We choose this hotel because it is located directly across the street from Paramount Kings Dominion. That's the best I can say about this hotel. When we arrived at the hotel without reservations but was able to get a room the clerk quoted my husband, daughter and I a price of $59.00 per night for a room with two double beds for two nights. Our room was in the back of the hotel on the second floor the walk to our room smelled of urine so I knew this was going to be long weekend. Our room was clean after inspecting the bathroom, sheets and floor. The four locks on the door was odd but we used all four and settled in for the night. On our way out the next morning we put the sign on the door HOUSEKEEPING PLEASE. We went to the park and spend a very nice day there. When we returned in the evening and opened the door the room was not cleaned. The beds were not made and we did not have clean towels. I found a housekeeper who told me that the maid who should have cleaned our room had not made it to our side of the building yet it was 6:30pm. I told her that when we left at 10:00am there was a housekeeper working 4 doors down from our room she said "oh she was not assigned to clean your room". We called the front desk to complain the clerk gave us the run around about why our room was not cleaned and told us to come to the front desk to pick up towels. At check out we learn that our bargin $59.00 per night room was now and extra $18.00 because my daughter was staying in the room with my husband and I. At this point I was so outraged that we paid the extra $18.00 per night and left. Lesson learned staying close to your destination is not always the best idea.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank Sibie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
#4 of 13 in Ashland
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 6 in Ruther Glen

Been to Centerstone Inn? Share your experiences!