“Here’s the Real Story”

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Here’s the Real Story”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Read the other reviews for what they are - yuppie coupon users who want the Rockefeller treatment, super paved winery parking lots, granite counters, and lobster and filet for the price of a cheese sandwich and complain when they don’t get it and just write bad reviews (like its way out in the country and the road was windy). And now for the truth. As I always say, whether the wine is great, good or bad is YOUR taste. I found all their wines to be flavorful, rich and the varieties base taste as they should and for my taste ALL were very good and at a very reasonable cost, especially for a small new winery (3 years). The wine tasting room is in an old small building that was a general store for many years. Their home page makes no claims of some million dollar tasting facility, just a place to taste their wines. Its one simple room with a large u shaped counter that dates back to the general store days with stools. Sorry, no wine themed trivets, dried flowers, olive oils, wooden eggs, postcards, cider mixes, or other stuff to buy. Just wine for sale. JUST a nice small place to taste the wine with your server probably being one of the two owners. Both sill work full time on the Hill in DC and are striving to help all of us with another winery. The owner who served me was very pleasant, gave just enough information about each wine to help me enjoy it without the usual BS most pourers try to give you. There were 4 other people there when I was there and she was polite and friendly to all. Based on their comments about the wine they were tasting she made suggestions about what else they might like and gladly gave additional pours and even other vintages of the same wine on the list so we could taste the differences before what we might want to purchase. I wound up getting two bottles of different vintages and was pleased that the tasting was then free. Unfortunately most wineries in the Northern Virginia or Shenandoah Valley area do take your tasting off it you make a purchase.

So if you want to try some good wines from a small start up make sure you take a few minutes and come by. If you need the place with the 20 passenger wine tour bus, 30-40 dollar bottles of wine, the place selling the 4 dollar wedge of brie for 16 dollars and the crackers are extra, then pass Capitol Vineyards up and head to DC to the wine shop, Oh and yes the state hasn’t put up a wine tour sign for them yet but all you do is turn off of Route 55 and head for the winery.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Marc L

Charlotte, North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“One Of Many Tasting Rooms In Northern Virginia”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stopped here on the way from one winery to another. No one else was there which is unusual for wineries in the area. One of the owners was doing the tasting but seemed bored with the whole session. The wines were okay but did not take any home with us. The tasting room building was in disrepair. Generally a lackluster tasting. Hopefully as they become more successful most of these issues will change.

Visited April 2013
Washington DC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Treasure this little gem for what it is”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We live near Leesburg and have visited nearly every winery in NoVA. Capitol is one of the few to which we've made a return visit. They are a bit further afield than most, and have worked the coupon sites to generate more traffic. But there are three reasons we went back: the wine is really good, the owners are really great, and they serve wine in the cutest little glasses (which we use mostly for juice). This is probably one of the smallest wineries in Virginia. They make 1/10th of the amount of other local places. But their Viognier and Merlot are among the best we've tasted. The Merlot in particular is a standout. Great body and flavor. They also have the coolest labels. Lauren and Matt are young entrepreneurs who really love what they do. The started a good thing here, and will continue to improve and grow it. Yes, there are more comfortable tasting rooms, but this is a wonderful little place down a winding country road, and if you keep your sense of adventure and humor about you, you will enjoy it. Capitol is near Cobbler Mountain and Aspen Dale, both of which are worth a visit, esp Aspen Dale.

Visited April 2013
Warrenton, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of time”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We invited our best friends for an afternoon out and boy were we embarrassed. I can not believe they are trying to sell themselves as a winery. We were worried that the floor of the shack was going to collapse. The staff was not friendly nor knowledgeable. A huge waste of money and time. I would never recommend this to anyone. Travelzoo should really check out places they sell tickets for because this was a disgrace.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank 87hokies
terri007
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Small, crowded, no parking with just okay wines”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Remember the old adage "getting there is half the fun", well it's an interesting voyage to Capitol Vineyards (where there really isn't a vineyard). If you exit off of I-66 you have 5 miles of winding one lane roads ahead of you but if you exit at 18 you have about 2 miles of windy roads. The winery is a small building at the bottom (off of exit 18) of a hill or before you ascend the hill (exit 23). You'd miss it if you blink. There is no signage half mile away denoting you're almost there. The parking only has enough spaces for approximately 15 cars and it's quite interesting as it's grassy, uneven and the driveway is gravel. Also there is no restrooms in the "tasting room" so there is one port a jon right next to the building.
Like many people who were there today, I had a Groupon for a free tasting, 2 glasses and wine/cheese plate. The Groupon as well as their website stated you had to make a reservation which we did. However, the majority of people did not and they seemed to get waited on a lot quicker than those of us who had the reservations. That was beyond annoying because we were pushed to the side and made to wait a half hour past our reservations at 2:00. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem but I had a babysitter and the clock was running. So we were finally waited on and rushed through. The Viognier was just okay but the Traminette was decent enough for a "porch sipping wine" so I picked up two. The Merlot was just okay, the Cabs were okay but nothing to write home about. The Meritage was decent and I purchased one of those. Approximately $76 later I was wondering what possessed me to purchase these over priced wines.
I believe they are only open on weekends and seem to do a lot of "Groupon" type business. Their glasses are stemless and the cheese plates aren't that spectacular. They only had a few seats on the "porch" of the old building, not enough for all the people who were there. There is an old house in the back but we didn't go back that far as it was raining.
They also do not grow any of the grapes they use for their wines on the property. The girl who had very little time for us told me that they have some land near Charlottesville where some grapes are grown and they get their grapes from other wineries through a Co-op.
My biggest complaint about this place is they say on their website anyway that you need reservations, yet when you make them you get the shaft and those without get all the service. I was wondering if the Fire Marshall showed up if they'd be shut down. I have another one that I bought that expires sometime in Oct but I think I'll just eat that as their wines are pricey, it's hard to get to, terrible parking situation and a dinky wine tasting room. I would not recommend this place although it does have potential.

Visited August 2012