“View yes, service no...”
Review of Delaplane Cellars

Delaplane Cellars
Ranked #6 of 12 things to do in Delaplane
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“View yes, service no...”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Been to many lovely wine tastings around the world and was very disappointed with the snooty nature of the woman who assisted my husband and I. We probably shouldn't have even bought a bottle of their wine considering the lack lustre way we were treated. View was lovely but the counter service was dis-organized and very unhelpful. We certainly won't be going back as I've heard NoVa has many other deserving vineyards who are not only welcoming but 'appreciate' their customers....Make sure you drive all the way to the back of the main building otherwise you will have to walk up a fairly steep, rocky driveway....no signs to tell you otherwise...

Visited September 2012

Alexandria, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit...”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I visited Delaplane Cellars on a Friday afternoon in mid-September. The tasting room was located among some of the winery's vineyards above U.S. Route 17. The structure was light, airy, and afforded beautiful views to the west and southwest.

Staff was pleasant, attentive, and demonstrated thorough knowledge of the winery's offerings. The pours were generous. The prices were on average notably higher than other wineries throughout northern Virginia. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the overall quality of the wines and purchased two bottles: a 2009 Mélange Rouge and the 2011 Chardonnay.

I recommend including Delaplane Cellars on a wine-tasting itinerary.

Virginia
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Great wines, just a bit expensive”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We visited Delaplane Cellars with some friends who are members there, they were there to pick up their wine shipment and wanted us to come along to try their wines. We all pour for a local winery so we love to visit other wineries when we can

We tasted 5 wines and every one of them was excellent. We aren't chardonnay fans but loved their 2011 chard enough to buy a bottle of it, and we also bought their 2009 Melange Rouge which was our favorite wine we tasted. The prices were more than we're used to (the wines that were open for tasting started at $25 and went up to $49 a bottle), but our friends got a 25% discount since they're club members. That's better than our industry discount so we let them buy our wines to save a little more. The only way I'd buy wines here would be with an industry or club member discount. If the wines had been cheaper we would have bought more, but we only bought one bottle of each.

We had brought some food to enjoy with a bottle after the tasting, and they let us bring our food inside since it started raining while we were there. Normally you can only have outside food on the patio, so it was nice of them to allow it inside that day. The view is lovely and we would have liked to be out on the patio but the weather just didn't cooperate.

For a relatively new winery, their wines are outstanding - but unfortunately they have prices to go with them. I'd recommend joining their wine club if you enjoy their wines and want to enjoy them on a regular basis.

Visited August 2012
Bangor, Maine
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“The View is AMAZING!!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stopped here on our Virginia Wine Tour honeymoon. The view took our breath away the minute we arrived. It is worth coming here just for the view. The wines are just average. And the woman who did our tasting, although pleasant, was not nearly as friendly as many of the other places we had been. It was more of a get in, taste, buy and get out kind of feeling. I felt very rushed and almost not welcomed. My husband said to me upon leaving, "This is more of a snobby place then the others we've been to, I don't like it."

We did buy one bottle of wine here, their CINQ2, it was ok. I mainly bought it because of the view. I wanted something to remember that view by!!

Visited August 2012
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Rude Management”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We planned a special visit with an out of state guest and had been telling her for days what a great view and tasting experience she would have. When we pulled into the parking area we were met by a woman who told us we could not park our small van-sized RV. I asked why and was told we would block others and would have to leave or park at the bottom of the hill. I told her I was very experienced and would not block others and I showed her the handicap hang tag. She again said I would have to park at the bottom of the hill and when she thought I was leaving she went back inside. I found a space that backed up to the hill side without blocking anyone nor the drive. As we went in to taste we noticed several automobiles parked blocking other cars and wondered what her issue was, but at the end we could not get paste the rude treatment and will not return.

Visited July 2012