“Stay Away From This Place Unless You are Tolerant of Rude People”
Review of Tank Museum

Tank Museum
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Danville
More attraction details
Owner description: Journey thru Military History at the most extensive collection of International Tank and Cavalry artifacts found anywhere in the world. Prepare yourself for an awesome adventure for both young and old alike. 119 Tanks and Artillery, plus uniforms, headgear and much much more dating from 1509 to present.
Penn Laird, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Stay Away From This Place Unless You are Tolerant of Rude People”
Reviewed July 22, 2009

The museum itself is, of course, great. Filled with military history, memorabilia, and more tanks than you can imagine. However, armed guards will follow you around and make you feel like you are constantly under suspicion of some nefarious purpose for being there. They also, of course, do not allow visitors, even visitors with Concealed Carry Permits, to come in armed. I guess they want to make sure that their intimidation factor is unchallenged and solid. If you can excuse the high admission and the rude and intimidating staff, go ahead and visit. Otherwise, you will probably be better off leaving this place off of your vacation agenda.

7 Thank SammColt45

North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great place but has problems”
Reviewed January 16, 2009

I have been there several times and being a history and armor buff is the only reason i go back
The extravaganza they have there in the spring is really good
and it is great to see all the tanks and other vehicles
now for the problem other than the woman at the front taking your money the people that run it are so rude there is this one guy he always wears the lil brown hat with the pony tail he is very arrogant and impolite and they always watch you like you are trying to steel something every time i go i tell myself this is it i'm not coming back but if it were not for my love of armor and history i would never go back
I really belive this would be a great place if someone other than the crew that runs it now would step in and take over
I mean out of the several times i have been there i never make any donations because most of the time i am a lil upset at how i was treated before i leave so it's like why should i donate to these people to make me mad

14 Thank will22677
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Awesome exhibits - if you dont mind being watched like a criminal”
Reviewed August 27, 2008

The assets of this museum are incredible. My father (retired military) and I visited with 2 children. The number of tanks far exceeded our expectations and they were exhibited with great care. Admission is expensive ($10/per person) and unfortunately, we were literally followed through the entire museum by a security guard (with a GUN!) who jumped in a said 'dont touch the glass!' or 'dont go near the exhibit' every time we came with 2-3 feet of anything. It was terribly off-putting and our entire visit lasted less than 20 minutes as a result. We were the only visitors to the museum so I am guessing we are not the only ones to have such an experience. Wish I had asked for a refund ...

13 Thank see-the-world-bbb
Clayton, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

If it weren't for an out-of-the way billboard on I-29, we never would have know about this wonderful museum. My 7-year-old was so excited he could have done cartwheels across the parking lot! So much to see - 100+ actual tanks and tons more military items - extensive uniform collection, hundreds of hats from centuries of war, the list goes on and on. Great gift shop too for everyone. Make sure you wear your walking shoes - three warehouses full of just tanks alone. Kept my son's solid attention for 2 hours. Admission is a little on the high side ($10 for adults, 9.50 for kids and seniors) but if you are into military history, it's worth it.

3 Thank NCPianoPlayer
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best in the world”
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Having traveled the world for business and pleasure purposes, I have visited every major and just about all minor military museums there is to find. Nowhere in this world tour did any military museum stand out more in my mind than my trip to the unbelievable AAF Tank Museum located in Danville, Virginia. This museum is a treasure beyond anyone's imagination. I have never seen a more cleaner and friend staffed museum in all my travels. History is a learning experience at this outstanding museum with artifacts dating from 1509 to present. I spent 5 hours going thru this museum and wish I had more time, but will be back with days to spend there.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Tank Museum? Share your experiences!