“STEAKS NOT SYEAKS”

Steaks on the Square
Ranked #11 of 124 Restaurants in Danville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner
Description: We're a locally owned and operated restaurant cooking over a 100% Hickory Wood Fire Grill. We have something for everyone offering Steaks, Seafood and Chicken entrees.
VIRGINIA
“STEAKS NOT SYEAKS”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went to STEAKS ON THE SQUARE (NOT SYEAKS ON THE SQUARE) for my son's birthday. I had not been in this building since it was a Shoney's many years ago. Shoney's never had food this good. The wood fired grill gives your steaks a whole different flavor. I had the 10oz. ribeye and it was cooked perfectly. My son got the 8oz. filet. My other son got the chuckwagon. My wife had the Hickory Cheese Chicken. She said that she preferred the Cracker Barrel's smothered chicken to this entree. My son's girlfriend had the Hawaiian Chicken Tips. All the steaks(not to be confused with syeaks) were cooked to order and were delicious. We also got the Family Sized Sampler Platter for an appetizer. Everything was pretty good, especially the salad bar. The only two issues we had were my wife didn't think the chicken was great and the rolls were hollow. I don't know what happened in the baking process. They still tasted okay.I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great steak (not a syeak) in Danville.

• Visited July 2013

Pooler, Georgia
“Great Place for Vegetarian with Dog”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

When travelling my wife and I generally opt for local restaurants rather than the chains, but when in Danville you are much better off going to a chain or place that you know. When we checked into the Marriott Courtyard hotel we asked about restaurants in the area. The desk manager at the hotel mentioned a mall area where we could find chain restaurants and then mentioned Syeaks on the Square, which she said was excellent and the best in the area. Regrettably we opted for Syeaks. What a disappointment. This restaurant serves food without regard preparation for presentation. My wife and I both ordered steak: my wife ordered a filet with a baked potato, and I ordered an end cut prime rib with French fries. The salad bar was very good: lettuce and toppings were fresh and cold. Dressings were good (it was noted on the menu however that you were entitled to “one trip to the salad bar”, which is unfortunate since the plates were small and in my mind the salad bar was the best the restaurant had to offer. My wife prefers and ordered her steak medium rare. Her steak was literally “fileted” cut through the middle, heavily spiced and overdone. Her potato was good. Our meals were served in a disjointed way. My wife’s steak arrived, then her potato. My French fries arrive later and then after some time my prime rib arrived. French fries were soggy and limp, and had been cooked some time ago. My prime rib was rubbery and it was served in a soup bowl half full of au jus. The meat was not prepared as ordered and was not very hot. The au jus was very salty. It was like a salty prime rib soup. We attempted to order wine and sampled two of the bottles, or about 25% of the wines on the wine list. Both would make Ripple seem like an outstanding Italian Barolo. Service was at best perfunctory and disinterested. When the waitress came to clear our plates, and we said we were not interested in taking the food home, no mentioned was made of the fact that most of our meal was left or our plates. This is a great location for a vegetarian(s) with a large dog. One could have a good salad and a baked potato and then take the steak home for Fido.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank TwoFrequentDinners
“Perfection”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Obviously they're doing something right with their steady 1 hr plus wait time on the weekends. The food is excellent, the staff is friendly and hardworking and the environment is very versatile. You can take your whole family or just a lovely night out. Any bad reviews are just from people that even the greatest restaurant couldn't please. I recommend this to any one looking for an awesome dinner.

2 Thank Jonjohnsonq
Roxboro, North Carolina
“Delicious Hickory-Smoked Steaks”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nathan Jones, the owner, began cooking with hickory wood at home and wondered why none of the restaurants in town used natural wood to grill on.
His business took off fast and never let up at this rebuilt Shoney's and locals, hotel guests and visitors pack his restaurant almost every night. You can smell those steaks grilling away all over town.
Good service, decent sides and some surprises make this place almost mandatory...those rib-eyes are mouthwatering!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Nighthawk46
Myrtle Beach
“No, just no!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Yuk. Food, wait time, wine service, geez. Danville waits in line for this, I've lost respect for Danville diners.

• Visited November 2012
6 Thank FoodieMyrtleBeach

Been to Steaks on the Square? Share your experiences!