“Amazing!!”

Damascus Old Mill Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Damascus
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant overlooks waterfall in 100+ year old renovated grist mill. Three outdoor decks overlooking 203 foot wide waterfall, Mocks Mill Falls. Small pub with large draft beer selection, local country fruit wines, and traditional wines. Selection includes from several local craft breweries and local wineries. Mixed media art from Appalachian Trail thru hikers.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I spent this weekend in Damascus where we rode the Virginia Creeper Trail on Saturday morning and spent Saturday afternoon lazing around our wonderful cabin right on the Laurel River (Damascus Cabins #1). The on-site manager of our cabin recommended we try the Old Mill for dinner while we were in town so we took the leisurely walk over on Saturday evening around 5:15. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately, per our request, at a table on the patio overlooking the river. While the special for the evening was the BBQ buffet, my husband and I ordered the filet mignon (I, the 4 oz. and my husband the 8 oz.) which came with a large baked potato and the BEST sauteed green beans I have ever eaten in my life!!! The steaks were cooked to perfection and the potatoes were excellent. We would HIGHLY recommend the Old Mill to anyone traveling through or spending a night or two in Damascus!!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I chose to eat at the Old Mill Inn for supper while we were in Damascus. We chose this because of the reviews and advertised menu plus the B&B where we stayed gave us coupons for free dessert! We were very disappointed when we arrived to find that the full menu is only available on weekends. We were told our dessert coupon was only valid if we ordered an entree, but there were no entrees on the menu to order?!? Having traveled all day, we were tired and hungry and not interested in searching out another place to eat, so we stayed. Our "baskets" (which were served on plates?!?) were tasty and the veiw of the river was pretty, but the food nor the experience was what it was percieved to be. I would recommend a phone call before you go so you won't experience the same problems we did.

1  Thank BeachGrandmax4
Reviewed July 31, 2012

A group of friends had enjoyed the Sunday buffet about 2 weeks ago and were so impressed by the great selection; this was our first time for the buffet. Well, I told my family what a great meal we enjoyed that Sunday and I actually invited them; I had gone on and on about the great selection, the carving station with a wonderful turkey,ham, and beef roast; well, this past Sunday was like
a totally different reaction!!!!!!!!! There was no carving station, mostly starchy vegs, no fried chicken or chicken pot pie, poor choice of vegs.the pulled BBQ was dry so probably was from Sat.'s buffet, the beef roast had a different seasoning; I kept telling my group how disappointed I was and so sorry for the choices. We had traveled from Bristol.
I surely hope this was a rare meal and we might be brave enough to try the buffet again but will call first to see what they have prepared.
We certainly enjoyed the views and feeding the ducks before we left.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The setting is beautiful. The buffet was awful. Poor selection to start with. Imagine a Sunday Buffet with no potatoes. It looked like they just took all the leftovers from the last week and stuck them on a buffet. Everything was overdone. The service was slow. They had six items listed on their dessert menu. The Sunday buffet started at 11:30, at 12:30 they were out of all deserts but one.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at the Inn on a Friday evening (Fish Fry Night), which is served buffett style. We normally do not care for buffets, but after inspecting this layout we were impressed enough to try it. We were not disappointed, the selection was excellent, with fried fish, shrimp, and gumbo, veggies, and cobbler for dessert. You can also order from the menu. Our server was a young college student from nearby Emory and Henry and he was the best. We dined on the river overlooking the waterfall. We loved the view of the river and the rushing waterfall. We have dined here before and the place just seems to get better with age. There is nothing in Damascus to compare to it.