“Top notch service + helpful and friendly people!”
Review of Adventure Damascus

Adventure Damascus
Ranked #6 of 9 things to do in Damascus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We can help you plan a day with the family on the Virginia Creeper Trail, Appalachian Trail, Iron Mountain Trail or a biking adventure vacation that will invigorate the senses and please the whole family. So grab your bike (or rent one of ours), bring family and friends, and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Our shop is located on lovely Laurel Avenue in downtown Damascus, Virginia, right smack dab between the Appalachian Trail and the Virginia Creeper Trail. Cycling, mountain biking and walking vacation adventures along with bike sales and rentals.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My teenage son and I came to ride the Creeper Trail, and never having been to Damascus before, I selected Adventure Damascus randomly--wow! From my first contact with them via telephone to make a reservation, to selecting/renting bikes and shuttle service, these folks were the best! Everyone was so genuinely nice and helpful that after riding from White Top to Damascus, we returned the next day to ride the other half of the trail from Abingdon to Damascus. From the minute we walked in the door, we felt at home. The young man at the counter, Cory, was great, and so was our shuttle driver (I did not get his name, sorry). The shuttle driver even asked if anyone needed to sit in the front seat due to motion sickness on the winding mountain road to White Top--super accommodating! We enjoy biking for fun, not Olympic training, so we're not familiar with all the fancy bicycle gear, and the folks at Adventure Damascus are not "bicycle snobs." The comfort bike I rented was comfy and easy to ride. My son rented a mountain bike and was thrilled with his bike. All kinds of people--in a wide range of physical shapes--were renting bikes from them. We loved the Creeper Trail, and the folks at Adventure Damascus made our experience that much better. We will definitely be back to ride the Creeper Trail, and we will definitely return to Adventure Damascus.

1  Thank tccampa
There are newer reviews for Adventure Damascus

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The ride itself was WONDERFUL! There's nothing like it.

Days before my ride, I called Adventure Damascus Rentals, and they were polite and attentive. When I got there, they had us test our bikes, and they were fine. Then they shuttled us up the mountain in their van, a half hour drive. The driver was most friendly. He assumed I knew all about biking, and I sort of did, which is a good thing, because he gave me no instruction. He did give instruction to another woman. Standing behind him, I listened in as he told her not to use the front brakes at high speeds or you could go over the handlebars. I have always been careful with front brakes, but didn't know that. Then he left. I went to the rest room and when I came out, I saw that everyone had taken off. I was alone.

I started down the hill, then learned that my back brakes were totally nonfunctional. I was quite concerned (to put it mildly). I asked a few other people I saw if they could help me, but their technical skills were as bad as mine, lol. I was so bummed. It was my birthday, and my ride, which I was looking so forward to (and spent hundreds of dollars in cabin fees and gas) was partially ruined. I would have to go very slowly. I was very upset.

About 4 miles down the hill, a very kind man with a backpack and a tool box FIXED MY BRAKES!! I was delighted.

A little further down there was the bike patrol guys. They were pretty shocked that a bike company set me off without checking the bikes off their rack. They checked me out and I was fine.

I had the most phenomenal ride that I will always remember.

After the ride, I very politely told them what happened. I did not complain at all. I was more like, "I just thought you should know. Someone could really get hurt." They did not apologize! Let me repeat, the did not apologize! Nor did they make any offer for partial reimbursement. In fact, they seem pretty apathetic. They insisted I had turned my handlebars around, and I am 100% sure I did not do this.

While I understand that mishaps like this happen, I believe they should check the bikes not only at the shop, but also at the top of the mountain. Also, their apathetic reaction was unforgivable.

I did not let it ruin my ride.

I will definitely be back to do this ride again, but definitely not with this company.

2  Thank JodyPony
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Damascus is a hidden treasure. It is a leisure cyclist mecca. The guys at Adventure Damascus were polite, helpful and flexible. We had reservations for Thursday morning but the weather looked real iffy so at the last minute when we pulled into town we decided to do the trail that afternoon. Adventure Damascus was able to provide transportation to Whitetop Mountain where we cruised downhill along the Virginia Creeper Trail for 17 miles. The seats on their bikes were very comfortable and we didn't encounter any problems with the bikes on the trail. Even if we did, they would come and give us another one. I am ready to did it again!!!

4  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We used Adventure Damascus for our family's trip on the VA Creeper Trail. Rent their bicycles or bring your own. A van carries riders & bicycles to the trail head & you ride the Creeper back to Damascus. They are efficient & friendly with fair prices.

2  Thank Kimberly S
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I have used these folks for 9 years now and they are always so nice and never disappoint! Always ready to help and always on time!

3  Thank davehicks