“If your're used to Mariott properties, don't stay here.”

Hampton Inn Dahlgren
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dahlgren
Richmond, Virginia
“If your're used to Mariott properties, don't stay here.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have never written a hotel review but stay in one over 100 nights per year. I began work in Dahlgren a few weeks ago and will return frequently but choose to drive to Fredericksburg or Waldorf to avoid the poor service here.
When I checked in (I am only a silver HHonors member) I kindly asked for a first room floor. I was told there were two available, but I would have to move the next night since someone had already requested them and they were coming in the next night. I was staying for two weeks and I asked if they requested a first floor was it 100% guaranteed? She said no, it was just a request. So I asked again if I could have a first floor room since I was beginning my stay that evening and when the guests arrived later in the week, Hampton could inform them that it was just a request and that the rooms were taken. The clerk flatly said “no” and put me on the 2nd floor.
The next morning my room was too warm. The temperature read 75 but it was set on 71. When I returned to my room after work that day, the room was again hot and humid – not what you want to walk in to after working all day. I called the front desk and the clerk came up and fidgeted with the thermostat asking if I knew how to work an A/C thermostat. She then asked me if she should call the A/C man. I said "I guess" because it was 75 and uncomfortable. Forty minutes later, the A/C guy shows up. He leaves after fixing the A/C but it only worked for 10 minutes. I had a lot of work to do so I went down to the lobby where it was nice and cool to work. I skipped dinner because I it took a good hour and a half to deal with the inconvenience. I informed them that the A/C was broken and it was 76 degrees in my room now. They came over after twenty minutes and said they had another room for me to sleep in so I walked down the hall to take a shower and it was just messed up. I decided to check out first thing in the morning.
When I checked out, the sales manager asked me how my stay was. I told her what happened and she asked if there was anything she could do to make it right. I let her know that things like this happen and I have had similar issues (I stay over 100 nights a year in hotels) at Marriott properties. When issues arise at Marriott, they immediately respond with good replies offering points, or an upgrade, a bottle of water, just something to make you feel less like a sucker. It’s not the problem; it’s how they handle the problem(s).
The sales manager then suggested she could pay for my 2 night stay or award me points. Since I thought the "stay" and the base points might get taken away from my HHonors account, I opted for the points. The points never showed up.
Two weeks later, I dropped by (since I am still working in Dahlgren every day). I asked the sales manager about the points and she said "the owner has a file on you and they are working on it". I have never written a hotel review before but want others, and hopefully the management there, to know about the differences you may notice if you choose to stay here.

Room Tip: Check out Fredericksburg or Waldorf first.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TeamTravelPlanner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
MANASSAS, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

EVERYTHING WAS NICE AND CLEAN AND I WILL BE BACK. the food was great and the hotel rooms was so clean and neat i would go back tomorrow if i had to just to sleep in the bed and know body to bother me. i check other hotels in the area and the reviews wasn't good at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

dahlgren_hampton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dahlgren, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hi There Cassandra G
Thank you so very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us!
We looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Hampton Inn - Dahlgren
Raleigh, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I will stay at the Hampton Inn again, excellent accomodations. I stayed in a Handicap accessible room and it really met all my needs. Rooms were clean, decor was modern and stylish. Staff was very friendly and professional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This Hotel is immaculate! They have just passed their one year anniversary and they have maintained the property on the inside and out. From the time you pull up to this hotel you will notice attention to detail. The exterior and landscaping is clean and tasteful. From the moment we entered the lobby we were provided with friendly attentive service. While this hotel seemed to have a majority of business travelers the desk clerk made my two young daughters feel very welcome. Providing them with chocolate chip cookies and friendly conversation they calmed right down after being confined during a long drive.
The room remained me of a Hilton Garden in not a Hampton. The fresh, bright colors are a welcome update from many of the older hotels under this brand that are done in darker colors such as burgundy. The rooms are spacious and have very high ceilings that make them feel even larger then their actual square footage.
The complementary breakfast is always a hit with my family. Making waffles fresh never gets old! The bacon is my only complaint. I would prefer one thick slice over having to take 3 or 4 paper this slices.I will not let me bacon snobbishness hold me back from giving them an overall excellent rating!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our family opted to use this hotel as the "hotel of choice" for a family reunion. Several years have gone by since the last family reunion so the occasion was filled with both joy and sadness. Folks were anxious to re-connect and enjoy the weekend...

Several factors give this property an excellent rating:

Property - immaculate... the housekeeping staff was in constant motion. Polishing, mopping, dusting, spritizing, etc. I travel a great deal and saw first hand the pride that the staff had for their property... Fabulous job!

The Staff - Linda, Jackie, Cheyenne, Bonnie and others made this a welcoming stay... I jotted down these names that represented the overall mission of the team to make guests feel at home. It rained and they came to check on windows that were rolled down, we needed a review on how to navigate the HD television controller and staff came right to the room to assist, we ordered in snacks and the space was providing for entertaining...We asked questions about local restaurants and suggestions/directions were readily provided. Late night shopping, manicures, snacks..they had these facts at their fingertips...
We were ready to play stump the staff because they were just that good!

Breakfast: Yummy! Bountiful offerings for all... very fresh and Bonnie will make sure that your request is met. Our family had all sorts of requests...vegetarian, low fat, diabetic, etc and the team made breakfast easy for us...

Pool and Fitness Center... Tip top shape and guests raved about the pool and the fitness equipment... right sizes for the property and in excellent condition (new property)..

I would highly recommend this hotel as a place to rest and restore.... The property has all of your needs and if you need something else the staff is ready and willing to offer a hand...

Thanks for making our family reunion hotel of choice so very extra special....

Hampton Inn Dahlgren is a winner***** Five stars in our book...

Room Tip: Simply let the front desk know your preference... they selected connecting rooms for us and we were...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, NC, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here for a last minute trip to Dahlgren. Although I did not have a reservation, I had no problem getting a room, including my AARP discount. The night's stay and complimentary breakfast the next morning were very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Milton, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Best new hotel in Dahlgren. There is also the Holiday Inn Express, but the Hampton Inn is much newer. We've stayed at both hotels and they are both OK. The Hampton has an OK indoor swimming pool, which I needed since we were traveling with our grandkids. Overall pretty good, a little steep at $125 AAA rate, for what it is, but a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlgren
Quality Inn
Hampton Inn Waldorf
#1 of 12 in Waldorf
Holiday Inn Express La Plata
Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg South

Been to Hampton Inn Dahlgren? Share your experiences!