“Pleasently surprised”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
Leesburg, Virginia
“Pleasently surprised”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed there for one night and was ready for an uncomfortable stay. But this was much nicer than I was expecting. The room was big and clean and everything worked. It's all about perspective. I rated this high because I was expecting this to be at a motel standard. But for the price point, I feel it was much better quality and comfort than I would expect at other places at similar prices.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The wife and I made an impromptu trip to Culpeper over Memorial Day weekend. We called in around 4 or 5 to reserve a room at this hotel. Shortly afterward, we stopped off via drive-thru at a fast food restaurant, where my wife it turns out got a mild case of food poisoning. She was ill about an hour or so after we ate. I began to worry that we'd have to stop off at a hospital to start as we kept stopping off at restrooms to rest and for other issues. When I called MIcrotel to tell them we may not make it, I was pretty plainly told that I'd still be charged for the room, because cancellations aren't accepted after 4pm. We tried pretty hard to get down there, but by 9:00 the Mrs was really not feeling well, and we were still 70 miles away from the hotel. So we simply stopped somewhere else to spend the night. I ask you this: WHY, WHEN WE FIRST RESERVED THE ROOM, DID THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE RESERVATION NOT TELL US *RIGHT THEN*, 'THIS RESERVATION CANNOT BE CANCELLED'? I apologize for the caps, but I want that to stand out. Had we known we'd be screwed out of $119.90 we would not have advanced-booked. As a side-note, when we got to our destination, someone told us about some good hotels in the area, and they said *specifically* to avoid Micro-Tel. I guess the Lord saved us from a bad time there, but the people there need to be more thorough with such information. I NEVER would have reserved the room if I knew we couldn't cancel it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Culpeper hotels

Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Wow...... had been driving the whole day and I was so tired. I just needed to rest. It was so good to come to Microtel Inn and checked in. The night was so quiet and I did not even hear the wailing sirens.
The room was so clean and as always, tried my best to look for "dust". It was sparkling clean. .....and I was Impressed. Its worth the money and you will not be dissappointed.
Kindly,
Andrew

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2012

For $70, it's what you go to for a restful night with no frills. The rooms are small and well designed. The bed is nice and it's quiet. Don't expect much for the free breakfast other than coffee, a bagel, and maybe some sweet item.
All in all, it's just fine when passing through, and I'd return with no problems. We stayed in a small suite with a king that we enjoyed thoroughly. Service was fine, and we went to the Culpeper Thai restaurant which is definitely a 5 on the rating scale.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

During our stay here in culpeper at microtel inn the continental breakfast was good no milk on one of seven day stay, also we have not had our rooms cleaned dince we have been here we have had to ask for clean towels everyday I booked stay for a week at this hotel. There is no excuse for such a problem as this they are two ladies that I see cleaning here or are suppose to be I give overall rating 3 out of 5.

• Stayed April 2012
Cortland, NY
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We were returning from a vacation to Florida and had stayed in a very nice Microtel on the way down, so we decided to stay here on the way back. The desk clerk on check in was nice, check in was fast and easy. When we got up to the room, the smell of cigarette smoke was strong in this non-smoking hotel. The room was fairly clean, but there was some hair in the bathtub and it was only minimally vacuumed. We noticed there were no toiletries in the bathroom and only two paper cups next to the ice bucket in the entire room. There was also no supplies for the coffee maker.

My grand daughter was enjoying the window seat, then noticed a cigarette and some beer bottle caps on the window sill.

In the morning we went down to the breakfast area, and discovered only cold cereal and bagels. The coffee was from a machine that made and dispensed a portion at a time, and wasn't very good.

When we checked out, we expressed our disappointment to the desk clerk about the lack of amenities and the cleanliness of the room. We were told that the "main office" had told them not to put any toiletries in any of the rooms, and that the coffee didn't come in until after 4 the day we checked in. I suggested that, as far as the coffee, the desk clerk should have offered the supplies when we checked in. She said that is a good suggestion. When I again said something about the cleanliness, she started talking about how even though it's a non-smoking hotel, they can't control what people do in the room, There were no apologies for the issues. I will think twice before staying in a Microtel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth V
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I travel frequently within/through Culpeper, VA for business and thought I would try Microtel for a change since I normally stay at the Holiday Inn. I figured, "Let me try to save my company a little money."

When I booked over the phone, the person at the front desk was very helpful and fast. Upon arriving late, the hotel lobby was as I expected- no frills, but a friendly staff member to greet me. I went up to my room and opened the door surprised to see that the foyer had not been vacuumed. I thought, "Well, no big deal. I am tired and I'll just live with it." I put my bags down and discovered what I thought was a small unvacuumed area was actually the entire room with pieces of shredded paper and a couple bottle caps. Hmm... well, I'm still too tired to mess with this.

I go to the bathroom to make sure it is at least clean. No... something dark is on the edge of the toilet. So I made a decision to clean it with one of their hand towels and soap/shampoo and move on. Maybe shampoo would work a little better, well... no shampoo; I guess it is not standard with the room... oh, well.

I did inspect the sheets to make sure they looked clean and they seemed fine. I was so tired, I just collapsed and fell asleep. If I had arrived earlier and not been so tired, then normally I would have asked for another room, but I also figured you get what you pay for.

When I left, another gentleman and I waited patiently to check-out and finally had to ask the cleaning staff walking by if there was an attendant who could help us with our check-out. Eventually a man appeared and helped us.

My feedback is simple. My experience was not a good one. I find it hard to believe that so many other visitors had such a nice stay given everything I experienced. I do understand that from time to time employees/owners visit Trip Advisor to bump up ratings as to counteract poor reviews. I don't know if this is the case with this property, but, in the end, when thinking of staying at this property, just remember you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Remember, you get what you pay for.