“Elegant though casual European-style dining”
Review of It's About Thyme

It's About Thyme
Ranked #3 of 98 Restaurants in Culpeper
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Yes, this review title sounds very pretentious, but it's the most accurate description I could come up with. It's About Thyme is by FAR the best restaurant in Culpeper. I've eaten here five or six times for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed. It's refreshing to eat somewhere that uses quality ingredients (such as good olive oil, sweet and thick balsamic vinegar, fresh foccacia bread) rather than a place that warms up a can of something from Sysco and pours it over something fried from Sysco. Considering the expense of decent ingredients, I think the meals are actually quite a good bargain, especially in contrast to some of the more-expensive-but-not-half as good restaurants in downtown Culpeper. (I'd say it's more expensive than your "let's grab a quick bite" place but not a prohibitively expensive special-occasion-only place.) Even more refreshing is that the wait staff are well trained and professional--not too hovering and not too casual, and they're knowledgeable about the wine list. Good service in a restaurant is like a MIRACLE in Central Virginia--if you live around here you know what I'm talking about--so the wait staff here really stands out. The dining room is lovely but not fussy (dark wood, low lighting, muted murals on the walls). And they always seems to have vegetarian options, which is a huge bonus for me.

1  Thank LAllis0n
There are newer reviews for It's About Thyme

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Lemonade served to me and to my grandson both had flies in the bottom. Waitress was visibly irritated when I pointed it out and sent them back. No apology. Nothing. And they were still on the bill when the check was presented at the end of the meal. Dirty kitchen, it would seem. We will not be going back.

3  Thank Camille S
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wandered in here for dinner early on a Friday evening. Food was great. Started with a very good house salad (loved the marinated tomatoes), had a good fish entree, and finished with a piece of wonderfully tart key lime pie. I found the service to be very friendly and the French country atmosphere was lovely. I did think they were charging DC-style prices, higher than I would have expected. But, since the food was good, I was okay with that. Overall, it was a great meal!

1  Thank Travelling_Girl76
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stopped here for lunch, and luckily was seated by the front window and had a nice view of the old buildings on Davis Street. The entrees were a little expensive, so I chose the least expensive meal, the daily puff pastry sandwich. It was delicious and came with a huge side salad. While I was waiting on my meal, I was served focaccia bread and olive oil; I had to stop myself from eating it all so I would have room for my lunch. I'm sure dessert would have been fantastic, and I was sorry I had to forego it. The service was friendly, attentive, and timely. The ambiance pleasant. The food outstanding.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went out to dinner with my wife and in-laws. We had a wonderful time. Food was excellent. We all had something different and nobody was disappointed. Was a little on the pricey side, but that was expected. You get what you pay for.