“Great on all accounts”

Ranked #4 of 99 Restaurants in Culpeper
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My family met up in Culpeper on Saturday to celebrate mother's day early and had a fantastic lunch. I had never been, but my parents rave about this place and have dined here many times before. After my first experience, I will be back.

Half the table ordered the open face ham sandwich, and although it sounded great I went with the pot roast. It was a good choice, but that sandwich was amazing. I had several bites of my wife's and would probably order that next time. The pot roast was very good too, and I ate until I was full and still had plenty to fill me up at work on Monday. We got a piece of peanut butter chip cheesecake for dessert, and it tasted as good as it sounds.

I really enjoyed the open air dining room, and they also have outdoor seating. The wait staff joked around with us a lot, and remember my Dad (or at least made it seem that way). The bread they brought out was delicious, we took a basket home with us!

Our total was $160 with tip for 7 people. We had a couple glasses of sangria and other beverages (coffee/tea) and dessert, so not the cheapest place but for what we got I would gladly pay. Dinner is more expensive, but I'm sure great too.

You can also go next door to the "Market" (I think) and take lots of stuff to go, they had suckling pig on the special of the day board, and it was tasty. I wish I had gotten some mac and cheese and cheesecakes from this place.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I cannot say enough about this restaurant. The locals highly recommended this place. We shared wine and our waiter Pierre' from France was a wonderful addition. Also, every waiter in the restaurant thoughout our meal stopped by and checked on us...even the owner came by and introduced himself. A must do!

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I don't mind Paying $11.00 for a small cheeseburger, but when I ask for medium rare and get well done it bothers me. My daughter ordered her cheeseburger medium and got here's rare. (we had different cheese, so we couldn't swap). My wife's order was cold. My other daughter's order came out first and we had to wait 20 minutes for our order while we watched her eat. There was four of us who all ordered lunch items and our bill was $74.00. I would expect a lot better service and a lot better food for those kind of prices. I didn't complain, I just won't go back. Good luck

5  Thank Andrewradan
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Wow.....where do I start? I would recommend making reservations here if you intend to eat during dinner time. We arrived (with reservations) at 6 and there was a continuous crowd at the door from that time on waiting for tables. The restaurant is quite small and long. It is crowded and loud. Personally, I do not mind these types of places, but if you are looking for hushed conversations and candlelight, you may want to look elsewhere. There were about 12 people working the front of the house. Almost every person visited our table at one point or another. They are a very well-oiled machine here. We had homade bread to start....excellent. I ordered the pork chop served over polenta with broccoli, my husband had the braised short ribs served with macaroni and cheese. Simply amazing. Everything was cooked to perfection. The short ribs were so tender a baby could have eaten them. We shared a piece of the peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert. The entire dining experience was top-notch.

The left side of the menu has a listing of the dinner specials, the right side of the menu seemed to have the every day offerings. Be prepared....the left side does not list prices for the food. The short ribs were $39; the pork chop was $28ish. This is not a restaurant that we would eat at very week f we lived in town. I would suggest it for this passing through looking for a WONDERFUL meal or for those celebrating a special experience. The right side of the menu had wonderful items listed that were much cheaper. We enjoyed it and will return......for a special occasion.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were driving north to PA from Richmond and passed through Culpeper VA about noon. We parked the car and walked the downtown looking for a place to eat. It's About Thyme beckoned us in. Beautiful decor, and the most attentive staff I have experienced. When the cook was unsure that my husband would enjoy the flavor of curry, she brought a small bowl of broth for him to taste test. The fresh made thyme bread was so good that we had two refills. Nice portion size for lunch, reasonable costs, and the food was delicious!
Afterwards, even though it was a raw and cool day, we enjoyed strolling to the many shops nearby and seeing their unique offerings. I would suggest the restaurant and town as a nice day trip if you live within several hours.