“Outstanding "Old World" Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thyme Inn

Thyme Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culpeper
Thyme Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Culpeper B&B and Inns
Anoka, MN
“Outstanding "Old World" Inn”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The Thyme Inn harks back to the period after WWII in France. One almost expects to hear an AM radio playing in the distance with Edith Piaf singing one of her many songs.

The rooms are airy, charmig and tastefully appointed. The owner makes you comfort his personal concern and provides excellent service. The wood fired pizzas and deli selections one floor below and tempting and tasty. The resturant next door, It's About Thyme, has excellent food with a Eupoean flair.

The entire package is outstanding and should not be missed when in northern Virginia.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredAnoka_MN

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Appalling!

I booked the Rosemary room about a month prior to our trip to Culpeper. We had been looking forward to visiting Culpeper after discovering that my husband’s maternal lineage goes back to the area since the 1700s. I read the reviews of the Thyme Inn and it looked like a great place.
Imagine our surprise when we arrived in town on Friday and found the place locked, with a sign saying “gone fishing” and that they would be back on the day after we were to leave! When I called the Inn number there was a message with an “emergency” cell number, and when I called the woman who answered blithely assured me that she had left a message on our home phone about how to get in the building. Since we had left the day before and stayed at an airport hotel that night, there was little chance of our receiving any message. She then went on to explain how to get into the inn by accessing a lock box that included the keys to the building and the room. I wasn’t sure I understood her correctly about no one being there during our visit. When I asked her when she would be back, she refused to answer, saying that they were on vacation! There was no apology for anything. When we said that we were not comfortable staying in an unstaffed inn and would make other arrangements, she said that we would have to pay anyway.
My husband called her back and asked to speak to her husband, and he was just as rude, claiming that there was nothing wrong with their business model, and that most people were more “adult” than we were. But never in my life have I stayed at a B&B or inn that was unstaffed. And if they are so proud of their business model, then why didn’t they tell us ahead of time that they weren’t going to be there? They left a message on the day after we left home!? When we spend $175 a night we expect some hospitality, not a “rent-a-room.” Who ever heard of that?
Luckily we found a B&B (Fountain Hall) in town with an available room that was absolutely wonderful, with a host and hostess who welcomed us, gave us lots of useful information, provided breakfast and a beautiful room in a gorgeous home. We went on to have a wonderful weekend thanks to Steve and Kathi Walker at Fountain Hall.

So beware if you make reservations at the Thyme Inn. The owners apparently think it’s OK to go on vacation while you’re on vacation at their place, they don’t inform you of this in time to cancel, and are rude and arrogant when you question their behavior. Perhaps they have a charming store and restaurant, but they have a lot to learn about the hospitality industry. I can still hardly believe it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
13 Thank sjhagrad
Cambridge
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We came across this Inn mainly by chance due to its convenient location (we were visiting Monticello one day and going on to DC the next) and I have to say I've never been more pleasantly surprised upon arrival!

The three rooms are located above the Deli, which itself is just across from the main restaurant. We had booked to stay in the smallest room, Sage, but as the owner showed me around it became evident that the TV was not working so we were moved (upgraded really) to the Rosemary room. Both rooms were carefully decorated and furnished with a generous amount of room and a small balcony. However, the bathroom of the Rosemary room was actually my favourite feature - it has a (enclosed) fireplace beside the large bath/shower which means you can step out and straght into the warmth.

Not only was the room charming, but the restuarant was FANTASTIC and could easily compete with some Michelin level restaurants. I was very, very surprised. The food is reasonably priced given the quality and on the day of our visit there were 6 special starters and 7 special mains. One note of caution, however - the portions are very large indeed and we couldn't even bring ourselves to view the dessert menu.

The total cost of our stay, for the room, 2 cocktails, 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of wine was around the $300 mark. Whilst we weren't expecting to spend quite that much I have to say that it was worth it and i'c certainly go again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kmg500
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I was looking for a romantic getaway close to Washington, DC for my boyfriend's birthday. I wanted to find a cute inn in a small down with an historic downtown area and gourmet dinner close to the inn. The Thyme Inn offered all of these - and at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed January 6, 2008

My husband and I have stayed in many Virginia inns, and this inn ranks as one of our favorite experiences. We stayed in the Thyme room for one night, and found it to be spacious and elegantly appointed. We found all of the amenities we expect from a fine inn, including luxurious bedlinens, plush towels and robes, a comfortable sitting area, and a perfectly positioned gas fireplace. The bathroom was the nicest we've ever encountered, with Jacuzzi tub, large rain showerhead, and L'Occitane toiletries. Our balcony overlooked the main shopping area of Culpeper, with its upscale shops, gourmet markets and fine restaurants. Dinner in the adjacent It's About Thyme restaurant is highly recommended.
Some people might object to the street noise at night, but this is a very minor drawback. There is also no breakfast or coffee provided in the morning, but there are breakfast options (a take-out market, a vintage diner, a coffeeshop) just steps from the front door, so this wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank MerryInn
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 18, 2007

We arrived at the airport at 9 pm with no reservations. After calling a few B&Bs, the wonderful folks at Thyme Inn took us in - even picked us up from the airport!

Their rooms (3 total) are fantastic renovations in a historic building in downtown Culpeper. Each has a jetted tub, small balcony, and primo decor. LOVED it! In addition, there is a restaurant attached to the Inn, and a market where the owners sell their own cured meats from their farm. Amazing all around!

Only drawback - there is no served breakfast, just pick something up from the market (unclear if one is supposed to pay or not for it!).

It was superb - if we ever come back, we're staying here!!!

• Stayed May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PaulSEA1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culpeper
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
#2 of 6 in Culpeper
Culpeper Center Suites
Culpeper Center Suites
#4 of 6 in Culpeper

Been to Thyme Inn? Share your experiences!