“A respite from my routine!”
Review of Thyme Inn

Thyme Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culpeper
Thyme Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Culpeper B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Checked in to a great room with a bathroom to beat all. Huge tub with a fireplace. Real wood floors and clod air (96 F today). Really enjoyable Had the Filet and a Cote de Rhone at Thyme Cafe and went upstairs to relax. Great place, with a pleasant and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank isogriffin

Reviewed February 10, 2012

The french suite was the most beautiful room I have ever stayed in. It was also the most uncomfortable room I have NEVER slept in. Unable to sleep I made a makeshift bed on the floor..Didn't sleep a wink. Packed up and left at 7 am even though I paid for 2 nights. Horrible experience.

Room Tip: The best room in the house is across from the party room and the dumb waiter is so noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sassyredhead
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My apologies for the pun. Though the Thyme Inn is reviewed under B & B's, fresh coffee and croissants may not be a part of your stay. The kitchen is closed on Sundays and we were not sure if guests staying on different nights are offered these items for free or for a charge. However, the host was very obliging and said these items could be left at our door in the morning. We opted to eat breakfast at Raven's Brew instead and really enjoyed it. It's a welcoming little coffee shop with fresh pastries and other assortments and beats commercial Starbucks any day. We happened to be at the Inn during a (mostly antique) car show that ended up being really fun and allowed us to speak with the locals who range from country folks to progressive thinkers, which makes for an interesting cross-section of humanity. It's part country boy and part gay friendly, two groups one wouldn't think would intermingle, unless of course you're a gay country boy or girl! The people of downtown Culpeper are friendly and proud of their town, as they should be. It's charming, inviting and has a distinct feel all its own. The Thyme Inn is lovely and unique. We stayed in the Thyme room, which has a balcony over looking Davis St. The Thyme room was nicely decorated: we loved the exposed brick walls. Also, we recommend visiting the nearby location Inn at Kelly's Ford, which offers horseback riding, river tubing, canoeing, kayaking, nature trails, event spaces and lovely scenery. They also offer lodging and are a B & B. As for wine, there are nearby vineyards that should be pleasing to all palates. Relax and enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seattle_side_project
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This was just perfect. Equal only to one other B&B, Charlottesville. The host and hostess were charming and obliging. And the room--oh my. We are planning another visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Husband and I had the smallest room in the middle. Loved the chandelier in the shower. Very very extremely clean, pretty, big bathroom, fireplace, wonderful bed, close to shopping, bakery, quaint inn. We will definitely be back. We want to try the resturant downstairs next time. Owner extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank US_traveler63
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The Thyme Inn harks back to the period after WWII in France. One almost expects to hear an AM radio playing in the distance with Edith Piaf singing one of her many songs.

The rooms are airy, charmig and tastefully appointed. The owner makes you comfort his personal concern and provides excellent service. The wood fired pizzas and deli selections one floor below and tempting and tasty. The resturant next door, It's About Thyme, has excellent food with a Eupoean flair.

The entire package is outstanding and should not be missed when in northern Virginia.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredAnoka_MN
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Appalling!

I booked the Rosemary room about a month prior to our trip to Culpeper. We had been looking forward to visiting Culpeper after discovering that my husband’s maternal lineage goes back to the area since the 1700s. I read the reviews of the Thyme Inn and it looked like a great place.
Imagine our surprise when we arrived in town on Friday and found the place locked, with a sign saying “gone fishing” and that they would be back on the day after we were to leave! When I called the Inn number there was a message with an “emergency” cell number, and when I called the woman who answered blithely assured me that she had left a message on our home phone about how to get in the building. Since we had left the day before and stayed at an airport hotel that night, there was little chance of our receiving any message. She then went on to explain how to get into the inn by accessing a lock box that included the keys to the building and the room. I wasn’t sure I understood her correctly about no one being there during our visit. When I asked her when she would be back, she refused to answer, saying that they were on vacation! There was no apology for anything. When we said that we were not comfortable staying in an unstaffed inn and would make other arrangements, she said that we would have to pay anyway.
My husband called her back and asked to speak to her husband, and he was just as rude, claiming that there was nothing wrong with their business model, and that most people were more “adult” than we were. But never in my life have I stayed at a B&B or inn that was unstaffed. And if they are so proud of their business model, then why didn’t they tell us ahead of time that they weren’t going to be there? They left a message on the day after we left home!? When we spend $175 a night we expect some hospitality, not a “rent-a-room.” Who ever heard of that?
Luckily we found a B&B (Fountain Hall) in town with an available room that was absolutely wonderful, with a host and hostess who welcomed us, gave us lots of useful information, provided breakfast and a beautiful room in a gorgeous home. We went on to have a wonderful weekend thanks to Steve and Kathi Walker at Fountain Hall.

So beware if you make reservations at the Thyme Inn. The owners apparently think it’s OK to go on vacation while you’re on vacation at their place, they don’t inform you of this in time to cancel, and are rude and arrogant when you question their behavior. Perhaps they have a charming store and restaurant, but they have a lot to learn about the hospitality industry. I can still hardly believe it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple