“Avoid Like the Plague”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stopped in for lunch this week. It was horrible, really horrible .... from the service to the food. The server was not trained, and very inexperienced.

Ordered the Greek salad with an addition of grilled chicken with dressing on side. The salad arrived smothered in dressing; so it was sent back. Arrived again without the dressing; but sadly the chicken was served raw in the middle. We were still charged the $2 upcharge for the chicken addition ... really??? Also the salad came with onion (not listed as an ingredient on the menu); and the plate was peppered with pepper (maybe for a Caesar salad).

Thankful that I had Zantac with me ... as that was what I had for dessert!

2  Thank adventuregirl62

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a gift certicate for $75.00. So we looked at the paltry menu choices trying to find something we could imagine wanting to eat. We finally decided on the smoked salmon appetizer which was touted as the "smoked in house" special and a Caesar salad. Our waitress was obviously poorly trained. She asked us what we wanted to drink before giving us a wine and beer list and seemed surprised when we asked for one. She came back to inform us that they were out of smoked salmon. Too bad they forgot to erase it from the "specials" listed on the chalk board.
The menu came back. There were no vegetarian choices which I find pretty inexcusable these days. I considered the crab cakes and asked what came with them. The waitress had no idea and had to go back and ask. She discovered that the vegetables were peas and mashed potatoes and Informed me there were no other vegetable choices. Imagine..here we are in mid-August In the middle of the Virginia Piedmont and all the vegetables they can find are frozen peas and mashed potatoes. The crab cakes were occupied by an unacceptable amount of filler and were just about tasteless.
We split a chocolate mousse for dessert that allegedly had Grand Marnier. It was the color of weak cafe au lait with no hint of Grand Marnier and barely a whisper of chocolate. Oh yes, there was a garnish of whitish, cardboard consistency strawberries.
How can a restaurant like this still be in business? Avoid it when you are in Culpeper.

2  Thank max'smom
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to try the Hazel River Inn. When I read some of the great reviews for this place I am so confused and actually question if they are for the restaurant in downtown or what appears to be a second one actually in the Inn. My fiancé and I visited for dinner and the building and location were both great. It's a quirky old bldg and I really thought it was going to be on par with Claires at the Depot in Warrenton. The interesting building is about as far as that similarity got. This was by far the worst customer service experience I have had at a restaurant in years! When we first came in a young man asked us if we were there for the paranormal event and I stated "no just dinner". He walked away and silly me, I thought to tell someone we had been seated. Two min go by, no service not even a hello and the same young man was walking around as well as several other employees. This is not a large space. Five min go by, no hello, no water, no service. At this point it became really odd. Other than the table of paranormal team (they were in tee shirts with the logo) at this point there was one other table. At approx the 11 min mark THE SAME young man walked over to get a drink order; he didn't bring water so we ordered some with our drinks. Unfortunately it went from bad to worse and it was actually too bad for me to type out. Highlites include when I reminded the waiter at one point of an order he got rude and said "I'm the only person waiting on like 10 tables". It was so terrible that it became comical. The few tables that had come in after us had VERY similar experiences and I felt really bad. They all seemed to be older so I doubt they are writing reviews but really wish they would. A lady who seemed to be the owner was there even but never spoke to guests or acknowledged the inadequacies of the restaurant. Whenever the kitchen door opened it looked like a lot of folks working behind the scenes. This place should be making bank. The food was not bad but sadly it was so tainted by the overall experience we couldn't really enjoy it. If they hire a manager who trains and actually runs the floor this place would do well. It's a great location and the only way to explain these reviews is that they are grading on a curve. I'm going to have to try the other places in culpeper now just to know. On the way out we walked downstairs to the German restaurant which appears to be owned by the same folks which makes no sense either because they were very friendly when we walked through to see it. It was day and night difference from the strangely hellish experience upstairs.

2  Thank Jakob H
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I go into any restaurant with a ready made list of my allergies and they did not seem to understand that allergic means I cannot eat it... things I am allergic to showed up on my plate and they were not very happy about my rejecting them... overall I would not recommend any restaurant that is not willing to accommodate someone's peculiarites

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been here 3 times, the night I got married, for my one year anniversary, and this past Easter. The food is always wonderful. It is a wonderful experience each time we go. I have eaten in the building and outside on their porch area (lovely way to people watch in downtown Culpeper) They cost a little more than a trip to your chain restaurant but so worth it. If you check their Facebook page you can usually find when they are running specials. Easter dinner was $35 a person and included appetizers and dessert.. They do take reservations but most nights you can just walk in unless it is a day like Easter. They also host live music on some Saturdays.