“Interesting cuisine in a small town”
Review of Three Notch'd Grill - CLOSED

Three Notch'd Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband I dined here after visiting a few local wineries. We each had a glass of Malbec, it tasted very sweet, definitely not a Malbec I would try again. We each had appetizers instead of entrees, simply because there was nothing that really caught our eyes that didn't come with a "sauce" on it. I had the roasted beet salad, nice portion- although the dressing (which I asked for on the side) was all over the salad. It was too much dressing for my taste, I like little to none on my salads. I also ordered the pork nachos. The portion was good, the presentation was nice, but they tasted a little too smoky (read: Chipotle) for my taste.
My husband ordered Fried oysters which had alioli sauce. Again, it was very smoky tasting. For dessert, we shared a black bottom pecan pie with vanilla ice cream. The waitress asked if we would like it warmed and we did. It came out almost burnt- again adding to the smoky overtone of the evening. I think if you like smoky chipotle flavor on almost everything and sauced on your food as well, this is a good place. Otherwise, I think you can find better.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I liked that they gave us a table for 8 an a busy Saturday night (Virginia and Maryland played football earlier in the day aat nearby Charlottesville so it was especially nice they could accomodate 8).

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Trying to find a reasonably unpopulated and GOOD eating place outside a college town after a Saturday football game can be a challenge. However, driving west from Charlottesville, VA on US 250 with an iPhone™ can bring a very pleasant surprise. Ours came in the form of the Three Notch’d Grill in Crozet, VA. The first sign that it might be good was that it was packed, though easily accommodating to parties smaller than our five. And the hostess was greeting new arrivals by their first names! For us, there was a wait, but it was worth it. Particularly noteworthy were the pasta item of “Sautéed Shrimp, Pancetta, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Spinach and Basil Cream Tossed with Penne” and the seafood selection “Horseradish Crusted Salmon with two mustard Cream Sauce.” A house salad came with each dinner. And we stuffed ourselves afterwards with dessert: REALLY nice frozen chocolate mousse or Key lime cheesecake, each presented with a raspberry sauce. This converted old house, perhaps not spectacular in its décor, offered a GREAT deal more than one would expect for the location in rural Virginia. Appetizers ran from $6 to $12. The two penne dinners were $22 each and the salmon was $21. One in our party ordered the “Apple Smoked Carolina Style Pulled Pork BBQ with Cole Slaw” ($8 sandwich) and declared ‘Delicious!’ Our desserts were $7. The wine list seemed extensive, but some of us chose the Newcastle Brown Ale, so no comments regarding the wines! The true test of any establishment is, “Would you go back there?” You bet!

Name and particulars:
Three Notch’d Grill
Phone: 434-823-4626
5790 Three Notch’d Road
Crozet, VA 22932

Three Notch’d Road is Virginia route 240, off of US 250, west of Charlottesville, VA

1  Thank Herbert W
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just a great place all around. Great food, service and atmosphere. We had a great time. Pricey, but worth every penny!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Recommended by our hosts at Sugar Hollow. Our dinners were very good. A great choice for a delicious meal in Crozet.