“Not Fragrance Free” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Mountain View

You added Magnuson Hotel Mountain View to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   820 East Madison Street, Covington, VA 24426 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Mountain View)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Covington
Virginia Beach, United States
“Not Fragrance Free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The room was clean and the linens were without any fragrance or chemical odors, however the room had a smell of cleaning agents. The receptionist did go out of her way to find a room with the least amount of odor, but still required an open door and an air cleaner to remove most of the odor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Samuel,

Thank you for your response, we are sorry that the cleaning chemicals that we use tampered with your room experience! We actually need these comments for our housekeepers; they get immunized to the smell of the chemicals that they cannot smell the difference! I apologize that this happened in your room and I have sent this information to the Housekeeping Manager!

Thank you, and I hope that you have a Happy New Year!

Cary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here Oct 12. The room was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. The shower was so nice and hot with great water pressure. The towels were clean and fluffy. The beds were comfortable. I thought everything was very clean and well-maintained. All of the staff we encountered were super-friendly and helpful. The complimentary hot breakfast was very good.

Regarding the noise-- it was Saturday night. We asked for a room in the back when we checked in, but we had pets with us and they only have certain rooms dedicated as pet rooms, so they were (understandably) unable to accommodate us with that. I'm not sure why the music from the bar has to be so loud -- I and others were unable to tolerate being inside the bar for more than a few seconds as it was so excruciatingly loud in there. It's such a nice hotel I hate to see customers driven away by the unnecessarily high volume.

That said, we were so tired that we had no problems falling asleep. Even though we were not in the back, I think we still were far enough away (and on the second floor) that the pounding bass, while definitely audible, did not ruin our night.

I recommend this hotel -- just beware of the potential for noise from the bar on weekends, and try to get a room in the back.

Room Tip: Music from lounge loud on weekends -- try to get a room in the back of the hotel. If you have pets...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jinker
Dear Jinker,

Thank you for your review of our hotel! We really appreciate the positive comments that you shared! In regards to the lounge, I have forwarded this information onto the General Manager for his evaluation and hope that on your next visit through Covington, that you will again, choose to stay with us!

Thank you again and have a wonderful New Year!

Yorktown, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My family reserved the hall for a wedding sept.21. Made all arrangements before to have tables set, clean and ready by 7am that morning. We arrive at around 9am and people are eating in our space, tables that were out were unstable and floors were sticky with food and bathrooms were dirty. We complained to management there and nothing was done. Manager would not show or return our calls. We ended up pulling tables out and setting all up ourselves and mopping floors. The two waitresses on duty tried to help and comply but that had to work breakfast area. Waitress that did the banquet was a Godsend! Had no idea that we needed the hall at that time. We were not happy in the beginning and should have been done with manager on duty. In the end we turned a disaster into a nice wedding and the buffet was good. We are still waiting for response from management and hopefully compensation. It should have been handled better and hopefully this wont happen to anyone else!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vicjmb
CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you had such a difficult experience with the banquet area! I am aware that the General Manager has since contacted you and hope that you will again return to the hotel! Please let us know how the hotel itself was during your stay and if there is anything that we can do in the future.

Cary Linkswiler
PRM

Travelers are raving about these Covington hotels

Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had read previous reviews on the noise issues on this property. Since I sleep with the TV on I did not think that this would be a problem. I was wrong The music coming from the attached bar was very loud and played late. I did the next day find one small sign (on the far end of the desk from where you check in) that warned of the noise. I would have given this hotel a very good if not for noise that kept us up and made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenFelix
Dear Jen Felix,

Thank you for your review, and I am extremely sorry that the music at the lounge was a disruption to your stay! I am forwarding this review onto our General Manager for him to take action at the bar! Thank you and have a wonderful Happy New Year!

Pasco, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was in town to attend meetings at the Greenbrier, and wanted to stay somewhere close that was also economical. The hotel was in good condition and had nice and hot showers, which is very important on those long business trips. The breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

burke, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Hotel room was not clean. I was horrified that the sheets looked as if it had not been changed. There was hair clipping left all around the sink area. When I reported it to the front desk, I did not really get an apology from the front desk person!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Janet S
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We checked in to find out the hotel is more of a motel. Stairs all along outside and you have to look for your room and try to park outside of it. Got to our room and you can smell the oder. I don't know what it was but it was musky and smelled old. This place is way overdue for a renovation. Rooms were old, furniture all old and bathrooms tiny and old with cracks and old stains everywhere. Only plus is the room came with a good working fridge and microwave. There is a Burger King next door and a couple other places to eat. It's a small town so I guess you can expect too much. But for the price per nite for this hotel I would expect a better room.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lubvacay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Baymont Inn & Suites Covington
Roseloe Motel
Roseloe Motel
#2 of 2 in Hot Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 27 reviews

Been to Magnuson Hotel Mountain View? Share your experiences!