New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Covington
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Loud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had read previous reviews on the noise issues on this property. Since I sleep with the TV on I did not think that this would be a problem. I was wrong The music coming from the attached bar was very loud and played late. I did the next day find one small sign (on the far end of the desk from where you check in) that warned of the noise. I would have given this hotel a very good if not for noise that kept us up and made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JenFelix
CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Jen Felix,

Thank you for your review, and I am extremely sorry that the music at the lounge was a disruption to your stay! I am forwarding this review onto our General Manager for him to take action at the bar! Thank you and have a wonderful Happy New Year!

Cary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pasco, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was in town to attend meetings at the Greenbrier, and wanted to stay somewhere close that was also economical. The hotel was in good condition and had nice and hot showers, which is very important on those long business trips. The breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

burke, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Hotel room was not clean. I was horrified that the sheets looked as if it had not been changed. There was hair clipping left all around the sink area. When I reported it to the front desk, I did not really get an apology from the front desk person!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Janet S

Travelers are raving about these Covington hotels

VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We checked in to find out the hotel is more of a motel. Stairs all along outside and you have to look for your room and try to park outside of it. Got to our room and you can smell the oder. I don't know what it was but it was musky and smelled old. This place is way overdue for a renovation. Rooms were old, furniture all old and bathrooms tiny and old with cracks and old stains everywhere. Only plus is the room came with a good working fridge and microwave. There is a Burger King next door and a couple other places to eat. It's a small town so I guess you can expect too much. But for the price per nite for this hotel I would expect a better room.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lubvacay
AVON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way back from a road trip to see family in the Norfolk, Va., area. This property is an old hotel that has been remodeled & will take you back a few years. The biggest drawbacks are that the bathrooms are tiny! I mean t-i-n-y! Luckily, your sink is located outside this very small room with commode and shower, but it is a little bit of tight quarters. Decor is somewhat outdated, and the towels are flimsy. However, for one night, it was a fine stop. Just know that you are going to a remodeled, retro site. They had their restaurant open at night, which served adequate dinner food and had super staff. The hotel staff is extremely nice. The room was clean and quiet and the Internet worked very well. The only pool is an outdoor one. There is a small workout room. The free breakfast was knockout outstanding. You order off a menu, and they bring you a piping hot plate of fresh food, which we found quite impressive. I think it even made up for, in my book, the t-i-n-y bathroom.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your stay at our hotel! We love hearing how your stay was and hope that we can provide you another opportunity down the rode to join us for your overnight accommodations! We are in the beginning stages of a three year plan to completely renovate our property, starting with the guest rooms, so we hope that on your next stop through Covington, VA you will see a more updated facility!

C. Linkswiler
PRM
West Chester, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel facilities are about average for BW hotels, certainly acceptable. The restaurant, on the other hand, is a disaster. Food was improperly prepared (What part of "medium rare" rib roast don't you understand? How can you ruin a fried egg? They found a way). We spent the meal joking with the couple at the next table about the "quality". On the bright side, our waitress performed like a real trouper to make us satisfied and without her we would not have been. The hotel offers a discount on the dinner bill, which is an optional choice of use for the free breakfast coupons, but they don't tell you that. Thus we paid full price for the dinner and got the breakfast for free. Had we been told we could use the discount tickets for dinner, we would have gladly eaten breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for my friend's family reunion. This is by far the cleanest hotel I've stayed in. I'm not fond of hotel rooms that allowed smoking so I asked for a non-smoking room and was accomodated without hesitation. The extremities didnt do the hotel any justice. It's outdated and made the hotel look suspicious. It could use a little paint and a new street sign. The banquet dinner for the family reunion was prepared by the hotel staff. It was delicious!! The hotel "club" was so much fun. The DJ was very observant and played music according to what the patrons wanted. Customer service and cleanliness can make or break a hotel. The customer service was more than I could ask for. Great job Best Western Covington!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Baymont Inn & Suites Covington
Oak Tree Inn Low Moor
Oak Tree Inn Low Moor
#1 of 1 in Low Moor
4.0 of 5 stars 38 reviews

Been to Magnuson Hotel Mountain View? Share your experiences!