“L O V E”

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“L O V E”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

A beauty of a waterfall, easy to get to and you don't have to hike anywhere to see it.
Just park the car and walk 30 steps. Take 15 mins to stop by and see this beauty.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Piper226

Goodview, Virginia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Beautiful waterfall”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Beautiful waterfall with views of the mountains in the background. We can't wait to see this in the Fall when the leaves change color. If your headed North on route 220 this will be on your left hand side. The parking lot isn't very large. Holds maybe a dozen or so cars. No parking for large vehicles such as large RV's though. Unlike some other waterfalls I've been to though you don't have to walk very far to see it and it doesn't involve hiking over rough terrain. Path to falls after parking is on your left and is paved. Wide enough for a person in a wheelchair easily I would think. I meant to take a couple of pictures of the path and retaining wall but forgot, sorry. Maybe I can add them in a return trip in the Fall.
If you have small children you will want to keep a hand on them as the only thing between you and a long fall over the side is a two foot stone wall. Once your at the end of the path though your treated to a nice view of the waterfall and in mountains in the background.

If heading North on route 220 to see Falling Springs Waterfall. Do Not turn off of route 220 and onto route 687 thinking you are going to get to the falls. There is a sign telling you to turn off 220 and onto 687 for Falling Springs, but it does not take you to the falls. The falls are right off of route 220 and are at least a couple miles past this road.
They say you can see the falls from the road. I can see where this waterfall can be seen if driving a tall enough vehicle (mini van or pick-up truck) and at the right time of year (Fall/Winter), and headed North. I'm not too sure about South though as you would be in a curve and I myself didn't dare look. The way the road is and the speeds people travel on it, I wouldn't go too slow to try catching a glimpse of it. Best to just pull off in the parking lot and view it.

There are no bathrooms here. There is an information board telling you about the waterfall and brochures on the Alleghany Highlands and Hiking Trials in the area.

Seeing this from the bottom would have been wonderful also, but I didn't see any access points/trails and there are no signs posted giving such information. Usually at an attraction like this if there are hiking trails available they would have a map and distances listed. There was no such board/map here. I have seen on other reviews though were they have walked around a fence that's in the parking area and extends past it and made it to the top of the falls and also to the bottom, but I would venture a guess they were trespassing and it was not legal to do so. That fence goes out along the main road and I wouldn't think they would want you walking along the main road. That just wouldn't make sense. I also think if they didn't mind you walking out to the top of the waterfall, they would have made an entrance and a path at the parking lot. I looked into it best I could online before our trip and didn't see where you could see the falls from below. This was the first time going there myself so I can't be 100% about it, but I wouldn't risk it myself. No proper trails and no posted signs saying you could do it, to me means you shouldn't do it. Not unless you find out otherwise after calling the attraction's phone number, from some other reliable source or seeing something I possibly missed while I was there.
This part of my review isn't meant to call anyone out or bust anyone's butt over this. I just think it may be a bit deceiving when you read someone's review thinking you can do something when you get there and then find out it's not what you thought at all. To some they might think they have the opportunity to see the falls from more than one viewing point when I don't think they do. Just remember, best thing to do is research and use common sense.

I don't know if the phone number I've added as an attraction # is current. I got it off the Va. is for Lovers web site and it was last updated in 2011.

Only reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 was because of the lack of trails to other viewing areas. If there was another way to view this it would be great and I would have given it 5 out of 5.

Natural beauty you don't have to pay to see. Can't beat that.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank Paul W
Troy, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A great place to see native plants”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The waterfall, which can be seen from the road is beautiful. If you're facing the waterfall and walk to the right of the fencing you can take a path to the top of the waterfall. I would be hesitant to take small children because there are no fences to keep them safe. I went at the beginning of May was there was a lot of woodland phlox in bloom. I also saw Dutchman's breeches, waterleaf, bladdernut, bottlebrush buckeye, Solomon's seal and trilliums to name a few. I hope to visit this site again over the course of the year.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank thymegrower
Chesapeake, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Lovely waterfall. A nice walkway provided for optimum photo ops. Wish there was a path to meander about.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bonipihl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the prettiest places on the face of the earth.”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Find the path leading down the falls. The hike is not an easy hike but it's not to bad. I would recommend hiking boots or the like. Walk the trails it is so worth it. You can also get to the edge of the waterfall. They are a lot of cliffs and couple of odd caverns.

1 Thank Steven F