“Room was nice but not great.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Covington

Holiday Inn Express Covington
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Covington
Powhatan, Virginia, United States
“Room was nice but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This room was clean and the breakfast was good but for the cost I expected something a little more above average. The staff was friendly and everything was in order in the room. But the bed sheet was too small. The linens, pillows and coverlets were nothing special even though the price was the same as an upscale hotel. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Terri W,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
wv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Really, this rates somewhere between poor and average. First, we booked through expedia so I figured no problem. Wrong, first the desk person had the wrong credit card then said I had requested a special room on the 4 th floor which I did not. Finally, after some aggravation after a very long exhausting journey, we got the room. We opened the door and it smelled like vinegar and the air wasn't on. The front desk has to turn it on and she hadn't done that since I requested the room on the 4th floor ( which I didn't). I have to say the girl at the front desk was very sweet but had no clue what to do and had to call the owner. The place was pretty clean and you actually had to use your key entry card to get into the outside door which I really appreciated. So many don't and that's just dangerous. Their breakfast is minimal which is ok because I don't actually frequent those things but my Mom does. It was a one night stop over, the beds were clean and it was quiet. It could be better than what it is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear eernuts,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

If you need to stay in Covington, do yourself a favor and drive to Lewisburg, WV (30 minutes West) or Lexington, VA (45 minutes East). HIE Covington is known for its horrible customer service and price gouging (My last stay was $170.00). The staff are unfriendly and trained to squeeze every last penny out of you. Air conditioning units do not work well, if at all. Alarm clocks are out dated and last time it did not even work. The beds are not comfortable. I am really shocked this hotel has managed to keep their franchise through Holiday Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Dan F,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

I am very disappointed to hear about your experience. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and as such, I apologize if we fell below your standards on most of our amenities and if the level of service provided didn't meet your expectations.

I assure you that we take every comment seriously and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Covington hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Upon leaving, I realized we had not yet left a tip for the cleaning staff. I left a tip for two different rooms, which meant leaving a note to indicate which rooms. I put my wallet down to pick up the pen and paper...and walked out the door without realizing I'd left the wallet behind. I didn't realize it was gone until we'd driven all the way to North Carolina. Credit card, debit card, gift cards, hundreds of $, driver license --- in other words, my life! Not one cent was taken; two days later my wallet was delivered to me intact. I will be eternally grateful to the staff for their honesty.
Now, for the expected info - the room was clean; supplies replenished daily; no highway noise, despite proximity to interstate and 5-lane road; A/C worked; the included breakfast was good - eggs, sausage, yogurt, cereals, breads, pancakes, etc.; fitness room clean w/towels; had indoor pool, but didn't swim; staff was helpful and friendly even *before* I left my wallet.
We will definitely stay there on our next trip to Covington!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vermilion, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was storming...terrible so we were told they had a opening. from a hotel we stopped at first......now I know why....NO AIR. conditioning...it was July20th......97 degrees..hot and humid.....called down from bathroom because phone in bedroom didn't work.....bed was uncomfortable at least NO bedbugs!!!! I told them no air,,said nothing they could do..no other rooms........next morning I told the desk clerk about it again.. he said he couldn.t help me with any discount but he would report it to his manager....told me to call later....SO I did...no help...told me to call back on Monday...by that time I was so sick of the whole situation..i gave up...WE LOVE Holiday Inn Express but were totally upset by this one...BY the way we were headed to Willaimsburg Va.. where we were going to stay at one for a week...I was dreading the stay already.....I cannot believe they charged us 177.00 for this nightmare.....also room really smelled musty...must have been from NO AIR?????

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!! no air conditioning in our room and no phone service....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank debbieraye
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear debbieraye,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am concerned to read that your experience was not what you expected. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our air conditioning system and deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay.

Your comments are very important as we rely on you, our valued guest to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Chillicothe, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good points:
Very quiet, didn't hear neighbors once
Nice bedding/ clean linens
Microwave and mini fridge were nice to have
Nice TV
Drawbacks:
Our bathroom had strange dark red (rust?) staining behind the door
Lots of spider webs in the closet (we had formal clothes to hang up)
Very expensive

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank UtahandOhio
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear UtahandOhio,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bathroom cleanliness. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Not as bad as expected based on other reviews. Check in was quick, staff polite, room clean, everything worked, no complaints. I am a fairly picky traveler and am hard to impress, so I am impressed that I was impressed :-) Covington is a little off the beaten path, but has an old industrial charm. Meadwestvaco (paper mill) and outdoor recreation seem to be the main draws.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Ufito18,

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Oak Tree Inn Low Moor
Oak Tree Inn Low Moor
#1 of 1 in Low Moor
4.0 of 5 stars 36 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Covington? Share your experiences!