“Mediocre Food, Entertaining if Nothing Else”
Review of Texas Roadhouse

Texas Roadhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Richmond, Virginia
“Mediocre Food, Entertaining if Nothing Else”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is a new location for TR, having been open for about two months. The crowds have been pretty hefty, but I contribute that to the novelty more than the food. I say that because if I go back, it won’t be for the food.

I have to give the place credit for service and entertainment value. Our server “Virginia” was first rate. She was very friendly, helpful in choosing menu items, and prompt. And since she hit my hot button about not having to chase her down for more drinks, she gets an A plus. Watching the staff do their dances every half hour or so is rather entertaining. Even more so when the other patrons have had one too many and are trying to dance along.

Enough of that though, a restaurant is about food. I would think that a place which purports to be a steak specialist would know how to cook them. Three of us in our party of nine ordered steak. None of the three were cooked correctly. My medium sirloin was not only well done, but cooked about four minutes past well done. It was shoe leather. Now they did correct it, and brought me a much better cut served medium rare. It was good, if not special. The ribs, barbeque, and chicken the rest had were chain restaurant food. No more, no less. The only high compliments came from my daughter about her cheeseburger. The sides were sides – salads, fries, rice, baked potato…. If you can’t get those right get out of the business. None of us opted for dessert.

There is a chance the spouse and I will venture back for the $7.99 special if we are in the neighborhood and it’s not busy. But I certainly will never be one of those waiting around for a table during prime dining time.

Oh, and can you drop the music a decibel or two? I may be older, but I am not yet old. I do like some loud music. At the bar maybe. But should I really have to yell at my dining partner in the back corner of the restaurant?

• Visited December 2011

“Mediocre”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Steak was good. The rest was mediocre. The bar was pleasant but overcrowded. Made getting a drink impossible.

Colonial Heights, VA
“Loud!”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We visited with friends the first week this restaurant was open so we definitely expected that there would be a crowd. The steaks were outstanding, the salad was amazing, and the onion blossom was great. The price was certainly right. BUT this is not a place where you go to dine and enjoy conversation. One of our friends commented that in order to converse, one would have to have lipreading skills. Every so often, you are danced at (not very well) and yee-hawed at. We came away, after the server finally got our checks put together correctly, remembering not the excellent food, but remembering being overwhelmed by the racket.

• Visited October 2011