“Absolutely horrible!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Econo Lodge
Concord, North Carolina
“Absolutely horrible!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I were on our way home from our honeymoon. His mother and I both work for Choice Hotels. When we contacted this hotel they assured us they had just remodeled and were up to code for the new Choice regulations. Upon check-in, a large roach crossed the lobby floor. Since it was late, I was willing to look past that. When we pulled around to the building where our room was, we were greeted with loud music, marijuana smoke, and drunks. On top of that, they were yelling and making us feel very unsafe. We walked up into the room, but when we tried to shut and lock the door, there was an inch gap between the door and the frame. You could see straight outside!! The room was covered in dust. The toilet had someone's fecal matter still in it. There was mold all over the ceiling and what appeared to be blood on the bed clothes. Oh, and some nice hairs on the towels that were laid out. Needless to say, we did not stay the night! Seriously, it is worth the extra money to stay away from this place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank EVern12
Jay P, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences in our vicinity. This would really help us to work hard on things that need improvement on our facilities. Rest assured that this issue will be taken care of in no time. This will never happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Genoa, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

The only reason why we stayed here was due to the price for 39.99. Not even worth that, they should have paid me to stay here. Strong odor of cigarette smoke in lobby, and in our non smoking room. Walked out to our vehicle and started smelling marijuana smoke, and people getting drunk in the walkways. My children and wife were scared to stay here, and frankly I regret not spending the extra money to go somewhere else. Stay Away!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank HoggNation
Jay P, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at our Hotel. Our guest reviews are extremely important to us and we take them very seriously. The issues you experienced are not acceptable. We want you to know that since your stay we have made corrections to address those concerns. I would like to personally invite you back so that you can experience the standards we stand behind.

Travelers are raving about these Colonial Heights hotels

Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

We also stayed at the Days Inn-Colonial Heights on the same night as the church group who also reviewed. Our room was clean, the staff was courteous, and while the hotel is back off the road aways, it was quiet. The only complaint I have is that I was told they were going through renovations and it was a little obvious. However, this church group that is attempting to lambast this hotel caused my family and I to not enjoy our stay. They were loud and obnoxious and have no right to complain about the hotel or it's other guests. Yes there were weekly's staying outside and drinking, but they were quiet and minding their own business. This supposed "church" group woke my family up with children running helter-skelter and there were multiple guest complaints, mine included, before they finally left. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice, cheap place to stay for the night. I'm sorry some people cannot appreciate that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mommyof2757
I would like to thank you for giving such a positive review about the experience you had at our Hotel. It is so appreciated that you commented on the other review we received as to clear some concerns that other potential guests would have understandably felt. We are so glad that you found your room to be such a pleasing accommodation and we look forward to your next stay.
ladybug009
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We booked this hotel for a church youth group who was attending a conference near by. We did not stay! I hope what we saw and what we exerienced could help you in making a decision. We had five rooms and all of them were dreadful. We had what looked like fecal matter on the walls, mold everywhere in the bathrooms, blood stains, no towels, oh their response to that was, "house keeping will be in at 9:00am to help us" to bad we were leaving at 7:am. There were cats all over the outside and what appeared to be monthly renters, which is fine if I was traveling alone but with 30 students it was not safe. The men who were outside appeared to be drunk. WOW, I would say, do not book this motel oh and by the way, its not even a Days Inn any more, they lost their franchise.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for giving feedback about the experience you and your students had at our Hotel back in 2009. Although I cant apologize enough about what you experienced over 2 years ago, we want you to know how serious we take our reviews. I want you to rest assured that though there were tremendous areas of concern that needed addressed at that time we have since then heeded the words of concern from you and other guests. Time has past and you would now be surprised and the transformation our Hotel has undergone. I would like to encourage you to choose us again as you will find the dramatic improvements that have taken place to restore our Hotel to the quality and standards we are proud to stand behind.
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I was part of a group which was booked into this Days Inn on Southbound and Northbound trips (Thursday, Sunday) to South Carolina. The 1:00 am check-in was chaotic. The night desk clerk was obviously surprised to see a bus arrive. The same was true on the return. The rooms I had were not up to what I expect from Days Inns or AAA. Sagging mattresses and less than thorough cleaning. There was no breakfast at 8:30 am on the southbound trip and on the return it consisted of coffee, cold cereal and a few bagels. We had to make unscheduled breakfast stops in both directions .

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of our Hotel I would like to express my deepest apologies for the experience you had when staying at our Hotel. We want you to know that we take our guest reviews very seriously. The areas of disappointment you experienced during your stay are unacceptable. I would like to inform you that since your visit we have made conscious efforts to mitigate those problem areas. We would like to invite you back to come and experience the level of quality and service we stand behind.
America
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2009

The room was not clean. Stains on the carpet, sticky stuff on the nightstands and telephone, moldy toilet and shower, hair in the sink, garbage still in the garbage can, bedsheets very wrinkled, TV 4 channels and no remote. I know, that last one seems silly, but really?

Should have left, but we thought we'd give it a try anyway. We got in our room late night- about 11:45pm. Got into the bed. After 20 minutes of 3 trains passing close enough to rattle the walls, loud screaming outside, and loud trucks, decided to leave.

Spend the extra 20/30 dollars to stay at a place at exit 61A instead. (This is at exit 58). You will be very happy you did.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — very dirty
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the experience you had at our Hotel. It is disappointing to hear that you had such a poor experience. We pride our Hotel on the cleanliness and quality of service we provide. I want to ensure you that since your visit in 2009 there have been tremendous improvements made in regards to the quality of our accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have you back in the near future so that we can provide you the experience you expect.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colonial Heights
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights
Candlewood Suites Colonial Heigh...
#6 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#10 of 14 in Chester
Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!