“AMAZING B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colonial Beach
River Terra Retreat
Washington, DC
“AMAZING B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I spent a night at River Terra Retreat to celebrate our first anniversary. We had an AMAZING time! We felt so welcomed. From being welcomed with a glass a wine and cold beer to delicious tapas cooked by Kristine. Kristine is a fabulous host. Her cooking is phenomenal. We felt very spoiled! Breakfast was gourmet! We cannot wait to go back and highly recommend it!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Simply put, you will not be disappointed! My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary here (it was a surprise location for me) and we were both extremely happy with his choice. Kristine is a charming and genuinely personable host and to top things off, she's a fabulous cook! From our lovely room, to the fabulous breakfasts and evening refreshments, to our visits with feline host - Roberto, our stay was wonderful!

Room Tip: Upstairs master suite has a fabulous view of the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed during the Labor Day weekend. Christine allowed us to bring the puppies too! Not only did we have a fantastic breakfast, but the tapas served in the evening with fine Italian wine took the place of dinner! All included in the cost of the rooms. The conversation around the table with the other guests led to new friendships! After dinner we had access to the whole house including the kitchen. The breakfast spread had as many courses as a Thanksgiving dinner! Christine is a fantastic cook! She even gave each guest a gift at the end of the stay. She has bicycles to use at no additional cost for enjoying Colonial Beach. The house is lovely and far enough from the night life to get a good night's sleep!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jan S
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Kristine is a fantastic Innkeeper! My wife and I had a memorable two night stay when we received every consideration. The canapes were more like a complete meal and much appreciated as were the substantial breakfasts! Our 'room with a view' was immaculate and beautifully furnished. We unreservedly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Colonial Beach

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

As a couple who has travelled the world we can honestly say this B and B is the best we have ever stayed in. Ever.
1st. Kristine is an amazing woman who makes you feel like you just walked into your cherished family homestead. She had fresh flowers for our room because she knew we were a couple. From the moment we met her she treated us like her favorites.
2nd, this home built in 1910 and bought by her great grandfather in 1920ish is immaculate, amazingly appointed and wonderful to walk through. We LOVE the Italian tiled porch that she will tell you a wonderful story about. There are great little accents all over the house and if you have kids, don't worry. Her exact words to us today were "I don't want folk to worry that their kids are going to break some random piece of glass or crystal, I can always get more at Giti's (local antique shop)
3rd, breakfast and hors d'oeuvres at night are amazing! I know she will downplay how we'll she makes her food (as she did with us) but this food is delish!!!! The quality and quantity of her offerings were a meal for us. Both nights we thought about going for dinner after but then realized we were already stuffed. And her cooking really is Great.
4th, This place is pet friendly. Our two pups had the best time running around her large fenced in yard. They had just as great a Vaca as we did. Of note, make sure you let her know ahead of time if you want to bring pets. She wants to be a good host and just ensure that other guests are ok with it. Not an issue for us but you will want to pre-arrange.

We cannot say enough about this place. Beautiful lady is running the most amazing B&B we have ever seen. We didn't even scratch the surface on all the great things that this B&B has.

We stayed in the upstairs suite one night and the downstairs fior blue room another. All the rooms are wonderful, but I will tell you right off the bat, if you can, stay in the upstairs suite. It is huge, has a huge bathroom and you have an enormous deck to drink coffee, wine or just lounge. It is worth the extra cost.

I kid you not, you will leave this place thinking, when can I come back and get treated like this again.

We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Stay in the upstairs suite!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noonan_74
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I read the reviews for River Terra Retreat B&B and it “felt” right to me.

So, I packed up my Wife my Mother in Law and our two Grandchildren up and headed for Colonial Beach. This was our first trip with the Grands so I was stressed making our way there.

Well Kristine just welcomed us like Family and went to great lengths to make us feel at home. We had reserved in the middle of the week and she even postponed her mini getaway for us!!

She treated us so kindly during our stay…May God Bless her with many many kind and caring guests!

The entire home is wonderful.Kristine has many memories invested in this home; being it was her Grandparents home and she spent her summers there with them as a child. How many B&B keepers can claim such joy and memories!

My wife and I had the Riverview suite with the Grands sleeping on a queen size air mattress which Kristine provided, and my Mom in Law had the Greyhound room. This was a very good match; the kids went back and forth from room to room enjoying “owning” the entire floor. Since we were the only guests we actually had the entire home to ourselves,

Oh and Roberto the house cat was always looked for by my Grands. Kristine insisted he stayed out of the house during our stay. But my kids would not hear of it during the days…they loved him and he let them handle him as if they were all raised together….Kudos to Roberto!
She has plenty of things for children to entertain themselves from games to books…they loved playing Dominos (which Kristine taught them) with their Great Grandmother in the solarium.

The house itself is very comfortable, with plenty of space inside and out to spread out and relax. We had a family picnic in the front yard one day and made giant bubbles in the backyard another…what fun! We even got to pick peppers from her garden…

I just have to tell you all about what she had done for me and my wife…treated like family I tell Ya! Kristine was out doing good deeds for folks our last night stay; I called her up and asked her if she could pick up a cake for my Wife’s Birthday which was the following day. Well she took this on and didn’t go buying a supermarket cake…no Sir.

She went to a friend’s bakery and picked up a beautiful cake. She even took my gifts for my wife and prettied them up for me. After the evening Tapas (which don’t be fooled is a meal by themselves), we had a great time surprising my wife and singing happy birthday in the dining room. Kristine even had a gift for my wife!

The Breakfasts were amazing and very filling…the Grands loved the little muffin like pancakes Kristine baked just for them. Snacks were available all thru the day! Oh, for the Adults Night caps were ice cold beers and wine if you liked!

Oh and it is true she packs wonderful doggy bags for the ride home!! Needless to say, we will definitely stay here again and again when back in the Colonial Beach area!

Room Tip: Be kind to Kristine...regardless that is what you will get from her ten fold!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hnter64
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

....you know how it is, you read nothing but excellent reviews, all are 5 out of 5 stars and say to yourself, nah, it must be relatives and friends writing up this stuff. Well, we took the bait and gave River Terra Retreat a shot this week and we have to say that all of these 5 star ratings are not true! It deserves 6 Stars!!! My wife and I cannot add much more to what the others have already written except to say that this is not your typical B&B. It's more like a Bed & Brunch & Practically Dinner, Night Cap & Snacks Place....and that's just the Great Food! After the best appetizers we ever had we went out to dinner and could hardly finish a simple salad.

Since we retired we've been to at least 2 dozen B&Bs and none of them could hold a candle to Kristine's B&B. Our so-called "breakfast" was more of a buffet of the best home cooked combination of delicious dishes we've ever experienced anywhere, way too much to consume and with the very kind offer of doggy bags for our road trip back home. I would write up a summary of the Terrific Room but we could have slept outside in a tent and still be happy as clams. Kudos to Kristine and her Very Gracious Housepitality!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Dahlgren
Country Inn & Suites, Dahlgren
#1 of 2 in King George
#1 of 1 in Warsaw
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
BEST WESTERN Plus La Plata Inn

Been to River Terra Retreat? Share your experiences!