“Love it”

Westmoreland State Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A state park that consists of rivefront beaches, hiking trails, and boat rentals over 1,300 acres.
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I love everything about this Gem of a state park. There is nothing to dislike. It is great place for hiking and a picnic. It's a great place to stay. It has a nice pool and it is just always a great experience here. I recommend it!

All reviews
"nominal fee"
"tent sites"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2018

We camped at Westmoreland for four nights in early July. The campground is mostly wooded and the sites are about average sized for Virginia state parks. There are some very nice private sites for tents, but most of the hookup sites are less private. There are several miles of hiking trails and we were surprised at the steepness of the terrain, given the park's location near the Chesapeake Bay. The trails go through woods with large trees, through marshes, and to beaches along the Potomac River. There is a wide variety of interesting plants along the trails. The beaches are supposed to be good for fossil hunting, but we didn't spend much time looking. We also saw many birds, including bald eagles and ospreys. There is a nice pool and picnic area. Fredericksburg is about 20 miles away and is an interesting historic town worth a day's visit. I would recommend the park for a 2-4 day visit.

1  Thank drivingmissbetsy
Reviewed July 13, 2018

I went to Westmoreland SP on the recommendation of a friend. I was charged a $7 entrance fee.
I went later in the day so I really only explored the visitor center and fossil beach. There is a short hike to Fossil Beach, but it is an easy walk and meanders through a nice shady forrest.
Fossil Beach was pretty cool, although I did show up at high tide, so there wasn't much beach left, but that was okay by me, I was there to look for shark teeth. I came away with 3 shark teeth and a very pretty shell.
The ranger in the visitor center was really nice and helpful.
The park looks like it would be a great place to spend the day and hike.

2  Thank jarjam6566
Reviewed July 11, 2018

We stayed in one of the cabins and had the best time. Everything we needed was right there. Trails to hike and the river and shoreline to explore. Camping sites and a pool also there.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2018

We spent two nights in one of the air-conditioned cabins in late June. Enjoyed no TV or radio. Quite corner of the park, but walking distance to the waterfront. Unfortunately, small craft warnings on the Potomac shut down kayak rentals. Very friendly staff. Close to birthplace of George Washington and that was a nice place to visit as well. Scenic cliffs. It was concerning to see at least seven people go beyond fence with posted warning at Fossil Cliffs. The warning is to slow erosion and you from getting buried in earthslide. Nice hiking; watch for poison ivy.