“Great open kitchen with attention to detail”
Review of Blackstone Grill

Blackstone Grill
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Christiansburg-based Blackstone Grill combines the taste of fine dining in a relaxed, modern-bistro style atmosphere. Here, elegance abides as great food reigns supreme. Come for the decadent drinks at the bar, or enjoy some of the best dishes around. From the freshest catches to the chef’s finest flavors, you’ll want to return again and again to relive the experience.
“Great open kitchen with attention to detail”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Very pleased with food quality and service. Ask fot something and they are very helpful. Would go back anytime.

1 Thank Trapshot

“It is blackstone now and service from bar and kitchen terrible. Felt sorry for our wattress not her fault.30 min to get drink a”
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Management here was terrible, staff unhappy a bad experience all the way around.

SW VA
“Now it's called Blackstone Grill...Still Good! Still Expensive...”
Reviewed October 17, 2009

A call to the restaurant will say “Same ownership, same staff”... the radio ads give the impression that it is now more affordable... I have had several great meals at Bookbinders. It was expensive, but the food was wonderful, and you knew about the cost before you arrived. We like to dine out, but Bookbinders was a special occasion or for business dinners (someone else was picking up the tab!).

The name change and the new ads gave me the impression that it would be a place to take my family on more than just a special occasion. We like to dine out but $60-70 for a dinner for 2 adults and a child is a little steep in my opinion.

We showed up to a full parking lot Friday, October the 16th at about 8:00pm. The place was full and there was another couple waiting for a table as well. The interior was still very nice and a definite cut above just about any other restaurant in town. It over-shadows the strip mall location almost immediately. A smiling, experienced host seated my wife, 9yr old daughter, and I within 10 minutes. I also noticed one of the banquet rooms was full as we made our way to our table.

Overall, service was very slow this evening. Our somewhat nervous (and probably new) waiter apologized about everything and attributed it to the large groups in the restaurant and the banquet room service. We skipped the appetizers and ordered soft drinks, iced tea and our entrees. I did have a cup of tomato bisque before our meal arrived. It was very good, and the oat bread loaf was nice with the whipped butter as a snack before our meal. It was at least 40 minutes before our meals arrived.

There is no child’s menu (no surprise, this is still not a family dining experience IMO) so our daughter had the Blackstone Burger with cheese and bacon and fries. It was a huge delicious burger and she had no trouble eating the first half, but a kid’s portion would make a lot of sense if they are actually trying to expand their business into family dining. My wife had the Portobello mushroom sandwich with spinach and fries. Again, a large sandwich that she could only handle half of… she loved it. I had the grilled tenderloin meatloaf topped with mushroom gravy and served with whipped potatoes and green beans. Also a huge portion that I couldn’t finish, but the food was very very good.

The meal was so good that desert had to be sampled as well. My daughter and wife shared a huge piece of chocolate cake that was fresh, moist and delicious. I had the crème brulee and it was perfect.

The meal itself made up for some of our wait, but over an hour and a half to eat a simple meal was extreme in my opinion. The prices are somewhat improved but this is still a very expensive meal out of the house. The radio ad mentions entrees starting at $6.95. That is for a grilled-cheese and a cup of tomato bisque. The new entrees range from $14.95 and up, with a steak starting out at $23.95. The steaks were all big and I’m sure they are as good as ever. Our bill total was over $62.00 with tax before tip. That’s for a burger, veggie sandwich, and a meatloaf dinner and a cup soup, no salads, 2 deserts, no alcohol… draw your own conclusion from that.

To sum it up, the food was very good and we paid for it… service was ok, but was very slow on this visit. We will return but it will be for a special occasion, not just a meal out. They still have a huge selection of wines for those that drink wine and cocktails are top shelf as well.

1 Thank sandbarfly
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The best restaurant in the New River Valley, this place is literally without local peers.”
Reviewed December 13, 2008

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I have been here a few times and for the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-
Radford Metro Area it is one of the better spots. It has a modern edge that is understated and urban.

The service is genuine + friendly, the food has been well executed and the wine list is lovely. It feels like you're on a little journey when you're there.

(I guess the NRV is growing up beyond the college crowd. It may be a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for if that's what you're looking for. Beyond that, it is about a great
experience.)

Thankfully, Bookbinder's Grill has been welcomed to the expanding roster of dining in the area. It's a pleasure having them.

1 Thank EastCoastNewYork