“Okay, but not great”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Okay, but not worth what we paid, however breakfast waffles, juice, coffee, etc were good. Halls on 3rd floor constantly smelled of smoke. First room we were given (311) smelled smokey, table was in disrepair, room wasn't cleaned completely. We were able to move another room on same floor that was much better. Comfortable 2-queen beds in room. Good air conditioning in the room. Carpets throughout most of the hotel appear to be old and dirty. Helpful front desk and kitchen staff (breakfast buffet). Please ignore my rating for the restaurant, there was only a breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Tim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your stay and review. I am sorry to hear that it was not up to the standards that you expected. We have recently renovated our guest rooms and made many overall improvements to the hotel. I am glad that the staff took great care of you and we hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to the area and check out our new upgrades.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was pleased with the room I got at the Comfort Inn; two queen sized beds, and a good sized space. The room was quiet, (though the hotel was full) and the beds were soft, with lots of pillows.

There is a cramped pool, and a jacuzzi, which one member of our party used.

I did not care for breakfast. I didn't grow up eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast, so I gave it a miss. Someone else I was traveling with did enjoy this kind of thing but commented that the biscuits "were like hockey pucks.." Coffee was provided, but they ran out of both decaf and regular before 8:00 am. (Hello....hotel is full???? Make extra coffee for paying guest??? Not rocket science???)

Cream cheese was on hand, but no bagels, or even space for them. A single waffle maker made for tension as people lined up to wait for it to make waffles in 3 excruciating minutes. There were wildly cooked scrambled eggs that looked like part of a quiche they were so overcooked. They handful of hard boiled eggs disappeared well before the coffee.

The hotel is fine, but eat breakfast somewhere else.

Room Tip: First floor is closer to the pool/jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We definitely are adding an additional waffle maker and another coffee maker to help improve our breakfast services. We regret any inconvenience during
your previous stay with us, and we would like to invite you to return.

Again, thank you for your input.

Comfort Inn & Suites

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Traveling back from Wise, VA and needed a place to rest. I asked for a non-smoking room and someone had been smoking in the room. Just think that it is important for the staff to advertise the rooms for what they really are. The breakfast also was not all that. The sausage gravy of sweet and tasted weired. The powdered eggs were also not the best. However, I did enjoy the belgian waffle.

Room Tip: If you want non smoking, check out the room before you pay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We have made several improvements to our breakfast and renovated our guest rooms. We would like to invite you to stay with us again so that we can provide you with a pleasurable overall experience.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This place looks great on the outside, but the inside is just worn out. The carpet all throughout the building is stained and the whole place needs a real good airing out. My room was only partially cleaned. There were cob webs and water stains on the ceiling and the wall paper was peeling throughout. The fire alarm malfunctioned twice, which shut down the elevators. I was tired and the sheets were clean, so I slept and left. For the price, I expected a real Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank hawkeyes2

Thank you for your stay and review. I am sorry to hear that it was not up to the standards that you expected. We have recently renovated our hotel and would like to invite you to return. We are certain we can provide you with an excellent overall experience!

Reviewed April 14, 2012

When I booked this hotel the website listed it as a Christianburg hotel. It turned out to be in Radford, 15 miles away from Virginia Tech, which we were visiting. The hotel seems relatively new, clean,quiet, and in the middle of no where. Although we requested a quiet room away from the elevator and vending we were placed in room 215 which sided the elevator, laundry, vending and ice machines. The staff was very helpful but there were no other rooms available to switch to however, much to our surprise the room was very quiet and we were not disturbed at all. The beds were pillow top, firm and comfortable providing a good nights sleep and a simple breakfast is included.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your stay and review! We love to hear the feedback from our guests! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the staff took great care of you! We wish you many more safe travels and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Staying here for the weekend was a matter of convenience given the business I had in I looked for the hotel with the most stars in the area and this was it.. The staff was nice and helpful and even gave me extra info when I inquired about restaurants in the area. I appreciated having plenty of towels in my room, a fridge and microwave, and of course free wi-fi too.

I did not care for what seemed like a giant peep hole on the door which seemed to compromise privacy. (I would have put a post it note over the eye of it if I had one). Also, it bums me out when I get into a hotel and the sheets seem so tired and thin on the thread count and I find myself wondering if the sheets were actually changed after the last visitor.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your review and stay! We are so glad to hear from you and glad that you are spreading the good word of our hotel! We are so happy that you were well taken care of by our staff. We have recently renovated our hotel which does include all new bedding. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I spent two nights at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Radford, VA last week. I am a 57 year old female and I was here on business. This hotel is very convenient to the New River Valley Medical Center which was where the conference was that I was attending. My stay began here with a slight glitch, their internet service was down for the entire hotel so they could not check me in by computer. I was able to get my room key, 222 and the gentleman at check in asked me if I could return later and give them my credit card information. I was glad to do so. I unloaded my car and went to the second floor and put my key in room 222 and was surprised to hear the TV running and saw someone laying on the bed. I quickly closed the door and returned to the desk and told the clerk what happened. He went to check to see if I had the wrong room, which I did and returned with the key and gave me the key to room 224. I once again went up to the second floor and this time the room was empty. The rest of my stay was uneventful at least where the hotel is concerned. The room was clean and neat, the bath was clean and the towels were fresh although worn. The room contained a large whirlpool in the room in addition to the bath/shower in the bathroom. I did not use the whirlpool. The bed was comfortable but lacked some of the wonderful bedding that the higher end hotels have. It is a Comfort Inn, after all. The pillows are awful! I'm not sure why the lower end hotels put 8 pillows on the bed all fluffed up and looking pretty but when you put your head on them it feels like you are sleeping on a sack of cotton balls. HORRIBLE PILLOWS. The next day I actually went to walmart and bought a pillow that was somewhat better and tolerable.
If you are staying at this hotel to be close to the medical center or Radford College, you're in a good spot. If you've come to see the town of Radford or sightsee, keep going. I literally drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a restaurant to eat at that WASN'T fast food. The only thing I could find was fast food and Applebee's. So Applebee's it was.
Other than the lack of food establishments, the Comfort Inn was fine. The breakfast is limited but adequate. The room was fine and safe, that was great as I was by myself. They just need to do something about those horrible pillows!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Tim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We always like to hear feedback from our guests. We have recently renovated our hotel and would like to invite you back to enjoy our improvements. We strive to give you a pleasant experience each time you stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Dublin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!