“Peaceful & Restful”

The Oaks Victorian Inn
“Peaceful & Restful”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

June 12, 2013
My wife and I stayed here on a trip through the Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway last week. The hosts Linda and Bernie greeted us and filled us in on all the pertinent information. They had menus and directions to several restaurants. The place was pretty neat with gardens in the back yards; private parking off the street for easy access to the house; good beds. Breakfast the following morning was first class. This place was priced more than I normally pay except for special circumstances. I've stayed in several B&B over the years and have enjoyed all of them without exception. The hosts set the atmosphere and make it an inviting stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night while driving from the DC area to Nashville for Christmas. I only wish we could have stayed longer. This is really one of the most gorgeous Victorian mansions I've seen. I thoroughly enjoyed walking around admiring all the architectural details of the house. It was especially fun to stay in a Victorian mansion decorated for the holidays.

We stayed in the Julia Pierce room on the second floor. I must say despite being a very full inn, we never heard a peep the entire night. That is really impressive for such an old house. The room was furnished in Victorian style with a stunning antique bed. Without a doubt, my favorite part was the large bathroom with a separate oversized jacuzzi and shower. The only problelm with the tub was it took a bit of time to fill because it was so large. I would hardly call this a problem as the enormous tub truly was meant for two.

Bernie and Linda were very kind hosts. They were helpful without being overly intrusive or nosey. As for the amount of rules some reviewers have mentioned, I found them to be fairly standard for bed and breakfasts. You pretty much always get a tour on check in at bed and breakfasts. Since many bed and breakfasts tend to be older homes where noise easily travels, you must be more considerate of other guests and that requires a few rules. Perhaps it should be expected that when you are staying in an innkeeper's home they will naturally be more protective than the anonymous environment of a hotel. While there are more rules, you also get the benefit of thoughtful details, much cleaner rooms and personalized attention.

I especially appreciated Linda asking if we prefered any types of food for breakfast. I tend to prefer savory breakfasts and Linda complied the next morning with an egg souffle that was very tasty and filling.

I will definitely stay with Bernie and Linda again when I'm in the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Theoaksvictorianinn, Owner at The Oaks Victorian Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so very much for that fabulous review. Coming so soon after one that was disappointing really made us feel that choosing to be innkeepers was a great decision. We love staying in B+Bs and hope we make our guests feel the same. So pleased that you enjoyed the Jacuzzi though it takes a little longer to fill because it is made for 2. It’s Bernie’s favorite bathroom in the house. If you choose the Garden Cottage next time you come, we guarantee the hot tub will be full and ready for you. Looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'm sorry to say that I did not enjoy my stay at this B&B. The house is really a beautiful. Overall, the decoration was fine, but some areas need updating and others are not suited to the age of the home. Hosts were nice enough on arrival but boy, oh, boy - it's worse than staying at your picky mother-in-laws. In the notebook there was an extensive list of do's and don'ts. Then there were little signs all over the room - don't turn up the TV too loud, use coasters, please use the black wash cloth to remove make-up and no shoes on the bed. Really? I was not born in a barn and I know how to behave indoors. The kicker was "don't turn the refrigerator tempature up" - yes, I go all over the USA turning up refrigerator knobs in random B&Bs. And what if I wanted to go out to dinner and wear perfume - no perfume allowed - there's a sign!! Too bad all the rules and regs spoil the atomsphere. Went here for a relaxing weekend but after I had read all the rules, I just couldn't relax. The breakfast was good - but don't expect seconds. And the sherry was a nice touch. This place was pretty pricey and not worth it. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank vatravler20
Theoaksvictorianinn, Owner at The Oaks Victorian Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We too are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. The Oaks is a Queen Anne Victorian decorated with many antiques and period pieces as well as more current ones. At one time our parlor and library had Victorian chairs and couches. While they may have been lovely to look at they were not very comfortable. We have tried to make The Oaks a more homey environment and replaced the common room seating with “green friendly” over stuffed couches for the comfort of our guests. As you stated, there is a welcome notebook in each guest room. Every B+B we have ever stayed in has one. Ours contains a welcome letter, dining recommendations, activity recommendations, a TV station listing guide, and a policy page . While the vast majority of our guests are more than respectful of our home and a delight to host, there is that rare guest that leaves wet towels all over our period furniture, blasts the TV, destroys white wash cloths with black mascara etc. It is for them that we have a few common courtesy requests listed on our policy page. As to signs all over the room, there is one 4 X 6 inch sign in each room that reads as follows. "Welcome to our home. Breakfast is a single seating at 9:00. If that time does not work for you please let us know. Coffee and hot water are available on the buffet in the foyer at 7:30 am. Should you need assistance and can’t find us please call 540-381-1500. We hope you enjoy your stay." There are two small 3 X 5 inch laminated index cards in each bathroom. One accompanies a black washcloth that has the word Make-up embroidered in white. It reads as follows. "Dear Cherished Guests, On behalf of Edie, our goddess of the laundry…may we request that you use this beautiful ebony cloth for removing makeup. We, and all of our future guests will be grateful that you have spared the white towels." We don’t, but many B+Bs actually sell these little black towels in their gift shops. The other index card rests in the lower left corner of the bathroom mirror and reads as follows. "For the comfort of our other guests, please refrain from wearing strong fragrances. Thank you for your understanding." We do not prohibit perfume. I wear a light scent myself. It is that rare occasion when a guest wears excessive amounts of perfume making it difficult for other guests to breath that we try to avoid with our little reminder card. Even with the use of ceiling fans and open windows the scent may linger in a room for several days making it uncomfortable for future guests. Each guest room does have a mini refrigerator with complimentary beverages. The board of health does have temperature guidelines that we are required to follow There is a small thermometer in each that helps us stay in compliance with their rules. A guest once turned the temperature cold enough to cause a soda can to explode. We hope that never happens again. You also mention a sign about no shoes on the bed. We searched high and low throughout the house and couldn’t find that sign. Maybe you were thinking of another place where you stayed or perhaps you confused it with the statement on the policy page of our welcome book that reads Please note: The health department requires the wearing of shoes within the common area of the inn. We hope perspective future guests will not be swayed by this review and we look forward to being their hosts.
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed May 12, 2013

It has been awhile since we have stayed at a B&B and after staying at the Oaks, it will be hard to stay at a hotel again! It is a beautiful home both inside and out! Linda and Bernie were extremely accommodating...8 members of our family stayed at the Oaks to attend Radford University's graduation. They were willing to provide our family with breakfast earlier than the scheduled time so we wouldn't be late for commencement. During the first day, Linda and Bernie noticed that our son didn't eat as much breakfast and offered to make something that he would like the next day. Linda also made sure that there was sugar-free maple syrup for one of our family members who had diabetes. The great coffee and cookies made fresh every day were awesome too. The attention to detail was unbelievable. The stay at the Oaks made our son's graduation most memorable! We hope to come again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bikefan54
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Just left today. Stayed for 2 nights. Had 2 rooms. Major Pierce and Bonny "something". We had a busy schedule and didn't get to spend a lot of time hanging out. The outdoors here are beautiful. Weather permitting. They thought of the little things here, examples plenty of soap, towels, beverages, wine glasses, qtips+, lots of outlets for chargers, list of tv channels, restaurant listings with comments, etc. Breakfast is at 9:00 sharp (no flexibility here). It is nice and they serve you 3 small courses. Very nice. It is what I call the "classic definition" of B&B, i.e. Chatty with guests. (I saw the owners sitting with the guests on the porch. Nothing wrong with it of you like to talk to strangers!). The rooms were both very nice. We could hear the people below us talking on their cell phone and could hear the owners above us (think they have a pet up there because we could hear it running). We will go back. You pay a good bit for this place so you should carve out a little time to enjoy it. We will next time!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank WOF8
Theoaksvictorianinn, Owner at The Oaks Victorian Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Oaks Victorian Inn. Hopefully the next time you are here the weather allows you the opportunity to enjoy all the Blue Ridge Highlands and New River Valley has to offer. There are several great wineries, spectacular hiking trails, wonderful music and more. As you stated, we do serve a 3 course breakfast at 9. You may recall when we were showing you the dining room we did ask if the 9 o'clock serving time worked for your schedule. If you had told us that you needed an earlier or later breakfast we would have gladly accommodated you. That's why we ask. We have served past guests as early as 7 and as late as 10. As owners of a B+B, we do treasure the many travelers who arrive as strangers and depart as friends. Our large wrap around porch allows us the pleasure of sitting with guests at the end of the day, sharing a bottle of wine, and enjoying a pleasant evening's conversation. Please keep in mind that The Oaks was built 120 years ago before modern soundproofing materials existed and many guests have commented that they have been pleasantly surprised as to how quiet the house is. We have put down thick carpeting in rooms on the 3rd floor and extra padding under the rug in the room you chose to make guest rooms as quiet as possible. We apologize if we or other guests disturbed you. The Alexandria room has no rooms above or below and may be a better choice for your next stay.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My sister and I travel to VT several times a year to visit our nephew and our usual venue was not available so we decided to try a B&B. I had stayed in several, but this was a virst experience for her. Don't think I'll have to twist her arm to get her to go back to The Oaks. We stayed three nights and they literally had to find places to fit us in. We spent the first night in the Cottage and it is like a 'doll/tree house'. You will never find a more organized space. It was pouring rain when we arrived and we immediately sat out on the cottage porch with a nice drink to enjoy the sound of the rain. The loft bedroom gives you the feeling of sleeping in a tree house. Very comfortable & cozy. Our last two nights we spent in the St Christopher. Equally amazing, but on a whole different level. Spacious, light & airy. Everything is amazingly appointed with much attention to detail (even black wash clothes for removing makeup). There was not ONE dust bunnie to be found - this was absolutely the cleanest environment I have ever seen. We were having some dietary issues and Linda never missed a beat in preparing meals that met our needs. We asked a LOT of questions and they patiently answered each and every one. Edie is indeed a treasure, but you know immediately that there would be no way to seperate her from The Oaks. We begged and pleaded until Linda finally agreed to put out names in the book for graduation (4 years from now). Linda & Bernie have really caught on to southern hospitality and put their own stamp on it. We both giggled when we got in the car about how we were going to go home to our husbands and tell them they had better stay on their toes because we had gone to Va Tech and joined a 'Sleep Around Club' ! (We think that's all they need to know - for now)!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Cottage and St Christopher - both were comfortable and quiet. For a long st...