“Unfortunate stay”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Maryland
“Unfortunate stay”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was hesitant to review this motel because I thought it may have been a bad day when I stayed there and am reluctant to make that bad day worse. Then I read another person's review and they had the same problem - no hot water. It may be more than a coincidence. I will say when I complained they offered to take some off the bill but I was not looking for a cheap room without hot water - I was willing to pay for a room with what I consider basic necessities. I am starting to question the Marriott brand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry you had issues with your hot water. We have since had the problem looked at, and are confident you will not have this problem again. Please consider staying with us again so we can prove it to you.

Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

What a nightmare. We checked in around 2, and were given a room right next to the EXTREMELY loud elevator. We called downstairs, but they didn't have anything else ready. Fine. We went to Blacksburg and came back and got a room on the third floor away from the elevator. The gentleman at the front desk wore a blue fuzzy hat thing as well--how unprofessional.

The room is okay--two beds and a lot of awkward space with nothing. A standard LG tv, some lamps, and that's about it. Pantene products in the bathroom. Now here comes the problem.

Imagine you're renting a car. You pull out and it dies--"Ohhh. You wanted a car with gas? Sorry we didn't tell you". At the Fairfield Inn, it's "Ohh. You wanted a room with hot water? Sorry we didn't tell you it's not working." Wait. What? No hot water? Yep. We found this out at 10 pm as I stepped in the shower. The shower was lukewarm at best. The gentleman at the front desk said they had been "working on it" but "not tonight". This small error hadn't been mentioned to us at checkin. Are you kidding? That's the point of a hotel. A safe room and hot water. It's absurd we hadn't been told on checkin. Trying to pull a fast one doesn't work with hot water. Management doesn't really seem to care. Oh well. Avoid this hotel like the plague. Stay at the Courtyard in Blacksburg instead.

Way to go, Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed April 2013
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I know we have spoken with you privately about this and have hopefully handled your issues to your satisfaction. Please come to the hotel again and we can show you the problems you experienced are not the norm of our hotel.

Thanks,

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night, we have 3 children, twins aged 7 and a 15 year old. We wanted to stay in Blacksburg but reserved at this hotel as reservations said we could get one room at the Christiansburg location with a roll away, which we reserved at the time of our reservation. We arrived at the hotel at 10:15pm to find they had no roll aways left. They informed us that roll aways are a request and not a guarantee. This was news to us, as far as we were concerned it was guaranteed when we made the reservation. Our predicament was what to do with 3 children who could obviously not fit in one bed. The reception called the manager who basically said it was our problem and we should get another room, wrong answer! When we informed her this was not a solution and requested she call the manager again (by now there were a couple more people waiting to check in), the manager informed the reception the line was not good and she couldn't hear her! The reception eventually rectified the problem by accommodating our 15 year old in a room opposite us. The rooms are more than large enough to accommodate the 2 queen beds and up to 2 rollaways but the hotel only has 4 rollaways on the property. This is a problem if central reservations is offering this hotel to accommodate a family of 5 or more in one room. At first glance the room appeared immaculately clean until one of our daughters stood on a piece of spat out chewing gum around the air conditioning unit. Overall the hotel was very clean and fairly new looking. Our son needed to do laundry, the hotel offers complimentary laundry detergent and there is a small fee to use the machine. The drier was not working properly and we were offered the use of the industrial drier, my son took his laundry from the machine down to reception and they called when it was dry. He was grateful when he saw they had folded his laundry for him! The breakfast is only offered until 10:00am on the weekends, we arrived down to breakfast about 9:55am to find everything being put away, in fact the wait staff in the dining room were almost rude in their rush to clean up, bumping into chairs and dragging the garbage behind people still eating. I went to stand up from my chair and was met with the service staff pushing behind me, it was a matter of either sitting back down, pulling my chair in or being pushed over by the server who was in such a rush she had not considered another route around our table. I'd say the breakfast room was cleaned with nothing left to pick at, not even a cup of coffee by 10:10am.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear your stay was not up to the standards you expect at a Marriott property. I have spoken with all parties involved and am assured the problems you experienced should not happen again. I am happy to hear they were able to help your son out with his laundry! I encourage you, if you are in the area again, to stay at our property again so we can show you the amazing service you have come to expect. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns.

(njeri.kershaw@marriott.com)
Oklahoma
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at this hotel for three nights for a large swim meet. At first glance the hotel seems like any other Fairfield Inn, that is until you meet Bertha. Bertha takes customer service to the next level, I think she would have given me the shirt off of her back if I asked for it, I am not even kidding. The hotel itself is a little dated, but that seems to be compatible with the local area. The rooms themselves were quite large. I appreciated the free breakfast and the fact that they had it up and ready earlier than posted to accommodate all of the swimmers that needed to head to the pool early. I can't say enough great things about Bertha and her staff, I witnessed on countless occasions her meeting the needs of any guest she could. She even tried to learn your name so she could great you more personally. The stay was a pleasure.

• Stayed March 2013
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to hear that all of our staff, and especially Bertha made you feel a welcome part of our Marriott family. I hope if you are traveling in this area again, you will stay with us again!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is easily one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed much less a Marriott property. I typically attempt to stay at Marriott properties for the consistency. However, this hotel had dirty hallways, smelly rooms ( I asked to move once), poor breakfast housekeeping, bathtub did not drain and diry surfaces on the furniture.

Surprised Marriott puts its name on this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello abrownva,

Thank you for the review. I am very sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant stay at our hotel. I would like to assure you that this is not normal for our hotel. We pride ourselves on good customer service and a clean, comfortable hotel that makes you want to return. I am sorry the hallways were dirty and breakfast wasn't up to your standards; I have talked with the appropriate people and hope the next time you are in town on business I hope you stay with us so we can show you this is not typical of our hotel.

Halifax, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 13, 2013

In this small town, this is not saying a lot, but the hotel is clean and well maintained. There are no bells or whistles, but in comparison to other forgettalbe in town hotels, this is the best selection. Fairfield is generally a value choice, but in Christiansburg, it becomes top of the line!

Room Tip: Book a suite, even for a couple. It gives you enough space to not feel crowded in a small room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for staying at our hotel! I am glad you liked our hotel and hope when you are traveling this way again you stop by and see us; we would love to have you!

Rochester, NY
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here on our way beack from vacationing down south. It was one of the few Marriott properties in the area and I am a Rewards member. This Fairfield Inn is basically one of the older ones with the lobby and breakfast area recently updated. The linens in the room were updated but the room itself was the older design.
Overall, I would chose a different location next time and drive a bit further to find a newer FI location. The real downside here was the breakfast. Although,there were scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage available, they disappeared quickly. The sausage was replenished but it looked very greasy.. They did have a couple Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches but once they were gone, no more were put out. We luckily got down there by 8am but anyone showing up with 15 minutes of it closing, was really out of luck. The bread & English muffins were basically STALE. I could not believe they were even put them out!
The price for the room was almost $100 which was pretty high coompared to other hotels we stayed at during our trip. It would have been worth it if it was abot $70 or less. I guess they can keep busy with nearby VA Tech business during the rest of the year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello,

I am glad you liked our renovated lobby and breakfast area, and you enjoyed the newly added hot breakfast. I am sorry, however, that you did not think breakfast was up to your standard. We strive to give every guest the quality they are looking for and are always open to suggestions on how to make us better in the future. We hope that if you pass this way again you will give us another chance to prove that your stay is not indicitive of our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other comments or suggestions you might have!