All reviews front desk king suite virginia tech room was clean traveling south next morning nice hotel the breakfast area outdoor pool hotel is located waffles hot breakfast convenient location staff was very friendly overnight stop nice stay cracker barrel
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We made a reservation for this hotel after finding others in the area were not available. Would not stay here again. This Fairfield Inn is below par for the Mariott chain. We have stayed at other Fairfield Inns which were were better quality. The people behind the desk were more interested in their own conversations that helping at check in. It didn't add to the atmosphere when checking in at 10:30 pm that there were about a dozen shirtless middle aged men hanging around the lobby drinking beer and talking very loud. The halls and lobby have gaudy bright tropical patterned carpeting. The towels were very thin, the quilt on the bed thin and the furniture dated. Air in the room smelled stale. A man we met in the elevator in the morning said that he had no hot water in the room ahd had to take a cold shower that morning. People behind the front desk were absent for more that a few minutes in the morning. Breakfast quality was very average and crowded with not enough seats/tables. Will definitely pass on this hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Hello and thank you for your recent stay. I'm sorry your stay did not reflect what we strive for at te hotel. I'm sorry the front desk agents were not there and breakfast did not meet your standards. I can assure you that is not the standard we set at the Fairfield and if you are travelling this way again I ask that you stay with us again so we can prove just how good we are at customer service! If you have any further concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Found a very experienced staff at check-in, they were helpful in getting us to a restaurant for dinner, and were friendly and cheerful in the process... standard Fairfield Inn, but there were some odd items about the room that just showed poor workmanship on the last refurb... breakfast in the morning was an adventure, as there were huge families likely to visit VA Tech nearby...

Room Tip: Location is not far off the highway, so it would be best to request a room facing off the main road...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dittymau
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was the only Marriott hotel in the area with the special rates we wanted. The hotel is fine. The room was clean and cheerful. There is an outdoor pool that looked nice. The hotel was about 10-15 minutes from Virgina Tech which is where we were visiting so the location was fine. The problem we had as another reviewer pointed out was the very strong odor in the room. Since the cleaning people were cleaning the room next to us, I walked into that room and that room did not have the same strong smell. I went down to the desk and asked the clerk if we could move to another room. She said they had cleaned the carpets in some rooms and it must have been the casue of the odor. She was very nice and gave me a key to look at another room. Unfortunately this room was on the first floor opening to the parking lot. I declined and since there were no other rooms, we kept our smelly room. I just opened the window and the door to create a draft and sprayed perfume everywhere. So overall the hotel is OK and one hopes that by now after complaints from customer they have solved the odor problem

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Rox-In-Box
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have to say, the room I stayed in was a disappointment, the smell of disinfectant (if thats what it was) was so strong that my girlfriend wasn't feeling well and complaining within the hour. I was so glad that I was only staying one night as we couldn't have stayed any longer. We will skip this hotel the next time we travel down 81 and drive a bit farther to something better.

Room Tip: Maybe keep driving an hour or two to something better if you can find it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was in the area for a wedding in Blacksburg. Decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn because of slightly cheaper prices (though it would have been nice to stay at the hotel where the rest of the wedding guests stayed). This place wasn't bad; it was average.

The hotel staff was nice, relatively friendly. When I arrived, my room had no towels, called housekeeping, they brought us more than enough. The beds were average, not terribly hard, but not luxurious either. I had a average room, not a suite. I assumed this place was all suites, its not.

By biggest issue was the breakfast. It was gross. If you are used to nice breakfast with good quality teas and veggie and protein for breakfast, go elsewhere. As a healthy eater, there was nothing here for me. I had to go to a little shop in Blacksburg for a decent meal.

This hotel is right off the highway to the airport. That was super convenient!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends