“Very nice and new!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Dallas, TX
“Very nice and new!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel - it is quite new and the rooms are very large with nice amenities, including a very large HD TV.

The front desk was very helpful as we were there on the 4th. And, that night, even with fireworks, it was quiet.

It was very convenient as, for us, it was just a half mile off the interstate that we came off of and only 15 minutes to Virginia Tech. Restaurants and gas stations were very close and a good variety.

We had just wished that they had at least offered free coffee and a continental breakfast. They didn't deliver newspapers to the door - however, they had them. You just had to pick up at the front desk. We would stay there again if visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights while relocating. Everyone was really helpful. The room was great. Wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The Holiday Inn website shows this hotel to be immediately off of the interstate when it is actually several miles (4-5) off of the interstate. When I mentioned it to clerk, she said they knew it was not correct and it was because they were "new" and "Oh well, sorry." They have been there over a year - have known about the problem - and have failed to fix it. I was on a long trip. I drove ten miles out of my way just to stay the night and have the clerk be rude to me. It was an unnecessary aggravation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenna V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear vonfronk,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review of our property. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for any misunderstanding regarding our location details posted online. It is also regrettable that you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope that you give us a chance in the future to make your stay the best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Brand new hotel, the room even smelled new. Our room was clean and comfortable. The only problem we noticed was you could hear people walking around above us, and you could also hear doors slamming in the hallway but that seems to be a problem at all hotels these days. We went for a swim in the small indoor pool. Very refreshing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CDUB409
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Have stayed in several area hotels (Dublin/Radford). This by far beats them all. Very clean, well maintained room. Check in (Sara) was flawless, extremely nice and very professional.
Hotel is in a great area and very convienent to shopping, restaurants, etc. (One bad note, would not recommend Texas Road House, next door to Hotel. Shoddy service and food)
Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Carolinablue28
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed here twice in May during a personal housing crisis. My first stay I had bid on a room through an online auction site. To be honest, I was disappointed when the Holiday Inn accepted my bid, due to a recent bad experience with a Holiday Inn in South Carolina.

I must say I have never been so wrong. From the moment I walked in to the attractive lobby with a cheerful greeting from the front desk staff, I knew this experience would be different. The hotel is new and it is apparent that every detail has been thoughtfully designed with the traveler in mind. The elevators are centrally located so there are no long walks to any of the rooms or hotel services. The decor is modern and tasteful. The rooms are big, clean and colorfully decorated, and they include a large flatscreen TV, refrigerator, microwave, safe, and everything else you would expect. The bathrooms are large and light - plus it is nice to have a night light. The beds and bedding give a comfortable nights' sleep. The 'pillow menu' is a nice feature - my bed had 4 pillows labelled for softness or firmness.

There is a satisfying free breakfast (we were grateful to find 6 or 7 fresh fruit choices every morning) and the option of ordering from the menu at the full service restaurant. On my last night I ordered from the room service menu and was surprised when I was told my food would be delivered in 10 minutes. I was shocked when it arrived in only 5 minutes!

What I loved the most was the chlorine-free salt water pool. I like to swim every day and I found it very refreshing although small. I stayed a total of six days and only once saw another family in the pool.

And the staff here is the new standard against which I will judge my future hotel visits. The front desk staff, the wait staff, the housekeepers, the busboy in the elevator - all were friendly, engaging.and service-minded. Check-in, Check-out and service requests were always quick and efficient.

From my comments it may seem that everything was perfect. Of course that is never the case. I did have some minor issues but every one was addressed promptly and satisfactorily by the manager, so I feel no need to cite them here. I feel very fortunate to have such a top-quality hotel in my hometown. In fact I have just booked a room here for a friend visiting in June. I should also point out that this hotel is priced significantly lower than any of the other 'top tier' hotels in the area.

One more fact to consider: this hotel is not in Blacksburg proper, but it is centrally located in the main shopping/dining district across from the New River Valley Mall (Christiansburg). Travel time to Virginia Tech is 5-10 minutes depending on the mood of the traffic lights. I notice that several other 3 star hotels claim to be adjacent to the campus. This is misleading. VT's College of Agriculture occupies about two thirds of campus farmland in the middle of town, so it is true that some of these hotels are proximate to VT property. The only ones anywhere close to the academic buildings would be The Inn at VT, perhaps also the Main Street Inn.

Well done, Holiday Inn!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ahmni
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were attending a soccer tournament in Blacksburg and wanted a decent hotel for our children to get some rest and play in a pool. Hotel is very modern and clean. We tried checking in twice (once at 11:00 and again at 3:30) trying to go between daughters games. Rooms were not ready both times. Check in sign says 3:00 so I was a little upset at the 3:30 time. The staff seemed very overwhelmed, she was trying to check in large groups, individuals and answer phones. The keys we were given didn't work properly and I had to get them redone. We were on the 5th floor in a suite and the elevators were working but not consistently.
The rooms were beautiful, clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable and bathroom was a nice size for the money we paid. The spout on the tub needed to be regrouted but other than that the bathroom was clean.

The pool was very small and because of the large amount of unsupervised children in it our children (6) ended up waiting in the lobby until the large group left, which left a short time for us to enjoy the pool areas. We were asked several times by the front desk staff to keep the noise level down in the pool area but never once was the large rowdy unattended group spoken to. We did not use the continental buffet because it did not have a large variety and the hot breakfast did not seem enough for the cost.

My suggestion would be for this hotel to hire more front desk staff and make sure they have rooms ready at the official check in. I almost missed my child's second game and then had obligations and couldn't check in until almost 7:30 p.m.

I will say that the morning staff was very polite as we checked out. This could be an outstanding facility but it needs a little polishing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marandtysmom
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear marandtysmom,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as the room accommodations you received. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're very sorry you room was not ready at check in. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Christiansburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#7 of 14 in Christiansburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area

Been to Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg? Share your experiences!