“Outstanding among all New River Valley hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg

Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Outstanding among all New River Valley hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed here twice in May during a personal housing crisis. My first stay I had bid on a room through an online auction site. To be honest, I was disappointed when the Holiday Inn accepted my bid, due to a recent bad experience with a Holiday Inn in South Carolina.

I must say I have never been so wrong. From the moment I walked in to the attractive lobby with a cheerful greeting from the front desk staff, I knew this experience would be different. The hotel is new and it is apparent that every detail has been thoughtfully designed with the traveler in mind. The elevators are centrally located so there are no long walks to any of the rooms or hotel services. The decor is modern and tasteful. The rooms are big, clean and colorfully decorated, and they include a large flatscreen TV, refrigerator, microwave, safe, and everything else you would expect. The bathrooms are large and light - plus it is nice to have a night light. The beds and bedding give a comfortable nights' sleep. The 'pillow menu' is a nice feature - my bed had 4 pillows labelled for softness or firmness.

There is a satisfying free breakfast (we were grateful to find 6 or 7 fresh fruit choices every morning) and the option of ordering from the menu at the full service restaurant. On my last night I ordered from the room service menu and was surprised when I was told my food would be delivered in 10 minutes. I was shocked when it arrived in only 5 minutes!

What I loved the most was the chlorine-free salt water pool. I like to swim every day and I found it very refreshing although small. I stayed a total of six days and only once saw another family in the pool.

And the staff here is the new standard against which I will judge my future hotel visits. The front desk staff, the wait staff, the housekeepers, the busboy in the elevator - all were friendly, engaging.and service-minded. Check-in, Check-out and service requests were always quick and efficient.

From my comments it may seem that everything was perfect. Of course that is never the case. I did have some minor issues but every one was addressed promptly and satisfactorily by the manager, so I feel no need to cite them here. I feel very fortunate to have such a top-quality hotel in my hometown. In fact I have just booked a room here for a friend visiting in June. I should also point out that this hotel is priced significantly lower than any of the other 'top tier' hotels in the area.

One more fact to consider: this hotel is not in Blacksburg proper, but it is centrally located in the main shopping/dining district across from the New River Valley Mall (Christiansburg). Travel time to Virginia Tech is 5-10 minutes depending on the mood of the traffic lights. I notice that several other 3 star hotels claim to be adjacent to the campus. This is misleading. VT's College of Agriculture occupies about two thirds of campus farmland in the middle of town, so it is true that some of these hotels are proximate to VT property. The only ones anywhere close to the academic buildings would be The Inn at VT, perhaps also the Main Street Inn.

Well done, Holiday Inn!

2 Thank ahmni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were attending a soccer tournament in Blacksburg and wanted a decent hotel for our children to get some rest and play in a pool. Hotel is very modern and clean. We tried checking in twice (once at 11:00 and again at 3:30) trying to go between daughters games. Rooms were not ready both times. Check in sign says 3:00 so I was a little upset at the 3:30 time. The staff seemed very overwhelmed, she was trying to check in large groups, individuals and answer phones. The keys we were given didn't work properly and I had to get them redone. We were on the 5th floor in a suite and the elevators were working but not consistently.
The rooms were beautiful, clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable and bathroom was a nice size for the money we paid. The spout on the tub needed to be regrouted but other than that the bathroom was clean.

The pool was very small and because of the large amount of unsupervised children in it our children (6) ended up waiting in the lobby until the large group left, which left a short time for us to enjoy the pool areas. We were asked several times by the front desk staff to keep the noise level down in the pool area but never once was the large rowdy unattended group spoken to. We did not use the continental buffet because it did not have a large variety and the hot breakfast did not seem enough for the cost.

My suggestion would be for this hotel to hire more front desk staff and make sure they have rooms ready at the official check in. I almost missed my child's second game and then had obligations and couldn't check in until almost 7:30 p.m.

I will say that the morning staff was very polite as we checked out. This could be an outstanding facility but it needs a little polishing.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank marandtysmom
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear marandtysmom,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as the room accommodations you received. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're very sorry you room was not ready at check in. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Recently stayed for 2 nights to attend graduation at Radford Univ (nothing closer to campus was available). While I think the prices were inflated due to supply/demand, we were very happy with our choice. The hotel is 6 mos old and the rooms were still in pristine condition. The hotel is immediately across the street from New River Valley mall and within stone's throw of various restaurants and shops.

The front desk staff did a great job accomodating our needs (placing elderly mother in room next to ours; offering us an extra room that became available due to a last minute cancellation). Hot breakfast buffet was approx $10/pp but we ate from the complimentary breakfast options (cereal, yogurt, pastries) which was fine. Only recommendation is to have some "to go" containers - my mother needed some food in the morning before she could take her meds and there was no convenient way to bring some food to her other than using the china (no trays or paper plates). Did enjoy a cocktail at the bar before retiring - Michael was friendly and helpful.

Only complaints are the usual hotel complaints - loud guests making too much noise in the mornings and late at night; housekeeping ignored the "sleeping" sign on the door and knocked repeatedly for morning service (she apologized!), bathroom fan WAY too loud..but nothing too bad. If you want a nice hotel option close to VT or Radford, this is the place.

1 Thank Handshaw
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband, son and I stayed here during Family Weekend at VA Tech in April, 2012. It was a 5-10 minute drive to the campus which we thought wasn't bad.

The hotel is less than a year old and very modern. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was comfortable with a coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Large flat panel TV and free wi-fi. The one thing that would have been nice would have been some sort of night light or the ability to keep the light on in the bathroom without the fan running. Otherwise the beds and pillows were very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

After a very long day on the road, we rolled the dice and stopped at the motel without cecking with TA. We were warmly greeted but the receptionist Lunden who was refreshing, warm and friendly.....just what we needed after a tiring day.

Lunden was quick and effieicent in getting us a room and getting us settled in.

The room was spacious, very well appointed, comfortalbe, clean, and quiet. What more do you need in a motel? We travel the I-81 corridor frequently and will definitely keep this on the list of places to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We have stayed here twice. The staff were very friendly. I had a bad experience at the Holiday Inn at Blacksburg so I went in being a little skeptical about how the stay would be. Everything exceeded my expectations....especially the service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Severna Park, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hotel the night before was awful so when we arrived at the Holiday Inn we were relieved to see how clean everything was and the staff went out of their way for us! Definitely would recommend to others. Great location too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Christiansburg
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#7 of 14 in Christiansburg
3.5 of 5 stars 213 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christ...
#3 of 14 in Christiansburg
4.5 of 5 stars 79 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area

Been to Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg? Share your experiences!