“Why thank you kindly”

Due South Pit Cooked BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Holy cow - what kind of inexperienced gastronauts would rate this less than five stars? This place is a rare find indeed. We totally lucked out after stopping for gas in Christiansburg on a long drive and found this spot on TripAdvisor (+1 million points ...)

So - parking is tricky - but that means the food must be good, right? So do all the signs on neighboring businesses saying that only their customers can park there. Drive a few loops - then slip in when a spot opens up - it's worth it.

You will be greeted by some very kind and attentive servers displaying true southern charm in a smallish restaurant space. Choices are basic but delicious (from the sampling the three of us took). Try the sauces! They are great and the store does a good trade in selling jars of the sauce to take home.

If you are lucky (I guess we were) then you will be treated to a guitar playing, yodeling country singer while you eat lunch. How can you beat that combo? I want to know - because this was awesome.

Sadly, this is 5 hours away from home - but my teenagers actually told me on the way out that they would be willing to make a 5 hour drive to come here again some day. It. is. that. tasty.

Trust me - if you are in the area - or passing by on I81 like we were - make this a stop. It's delicious and fun and ... just go there.

1  Thank Patrick_from_PA

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Torn on the review here. Did we enjoy our meal? Yes. Absolutely. Food was good, prices affordable, nice portions, tasty sauces. However, the visit was strange. When we walked in, we were handed menus and told, "we're out of pork, sorry." Now, if you see the menu, that's more than a third of it. Plus, it's a pork place. Hmmm. So we ordered a rack of ribs instead. Five minutes later, we're told, "so sorry but we just ran out of ribs too." Well, that left us with a brisket sandwich or chicken tenders. We got both and they were good... But c'mon! Really?

We enjoyed the efforts for 'green' and 'local' the place is taking so we're happy to patron it, but we were a bit put off by the overflowing compost garbage pile next to the front door. Just messy. You can see how we are torn.

1  Thank hollette1
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Some of the best BBQ we have ever had. Sweet red sauce is divine. Brisket is mouth watering. Definitely worth coming off the interstate to eat there!! We will be back!!

1  Thank Carl K
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

-late lunch with a friend chosen due to reviews...was very good!
-bbq pork sandwich was great
-loved the hot red bbq sauce
-ribs were falling off the bone
-definitely try the "tater tots" i say it that way because they were really just fried potatoes
-Mac & cheese. not bad, but not great. tastes like the boxed kind.
-I'll definitely return!

1  Thank infamouskatie
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Good food, great people. This place has the friendliest staff I have come across in a long time. The food is good too. I'll definitely come again.

1  Thank Ken D