“Another good review”

Due South Pit Cooked BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We happened into Due South BBQ as we didn't feel like dinner in a chain restaurant. I'm not much for pork, so this review is primarily that of my dining partner, who loves pork BBQ. He ordered the pulled pork sandwich, which came with two sides and three hushpuppies. He spent many years living in the South and sampling various types of BBQ, and declared this to be just about the best pulled pork he'd ever eaten. His sides were sweet potato casserole ("like candy") and fried green tomatoes, which were very oily and sort of slimy, but that's pretty much the way they're supposed to be. I had my mouth set for BBQ brisket, but that's only served Fridays through Sundays. I had a smoked chicken salad sandwich, which was good but probably not the optimal choice. My side of fried okra was very tasty, and I could eat the hushpuppies by the dozen. The night we were there, there was a guitar-playing singer providing background music. With the fluorescent lights and rocking booths, don't come here expecting a whole lot of atmosphere; it's about the food. But better than ambiance is authenticity, which Due South has plenty of.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ate lunch at Due South BBQ with family. We all had the BBQ sandwich from the daily specials board. Very nicely cooked pork, but could use a bit more smoky flavor in my opinion. They had several different types of sauces for you to choice from on the tables. I enjoyed my sandwich with a homemade mac and cheese, wife had a side of cole slaw, daughter had the fried green tomatoes, son in law had the sweet potato casserole. All said the sides were good. I'll definitely be back as I travel through this area several times a year.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent pulled pork and wonderful sides to go along with it. My wife and I tried the "special" the night we were there - all the pulled pork and sides you care to eat for only $9.95. They had a variety of sauces including 2 different "carolina"-types (1-mustard and the "clear" variety), a sweet style, and a hot variety.. I had the fried okra and baked beans-excellent!!! Even had banana pudding as a side.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stop here occasionally for a BBQ and find that the food is consistent and service is friendly. The BBQ is good-great for this particular area but Due South does not have much competition. Were this same cafe in an area with other BBQ restaurants, it would be average. It certainly is a place I'd return just to enjoy the banana pudding. I like their choice in sauces and have tried most of them just to get an idea of which one I like best. The atmosphere is simple and unassuming and what you'd expect for a restaurant serving pit cooked BBQ. Easy access from town and from I-81.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife usually just calls it the "Pink Pig", but by any name this is excellent grub. I typically order a full rack and it is a full rack of meaty ribs cooked to perfection. My wife's favorite is the brisket, which is very popular. The pulled pork is also delicious. The homemade sauces are very good, but personally I'm more of a dry rub fan.

My experience at many BBQ joints has been that the sides don't do justice to the entrees, but Due South does a great job on their sides. In particular, I would recommend the green beans, hushpuppies, fried apples, and smoked taters.

The biggest problem is the lack of parking. But, if you can find a place to land you will be in for a tasty meal.