“Have no idea how this place is still in business”
Review of The Farmhouse

The Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Farmhouse is proud to return to the New River Valley under new ownership and management. The Farmhouse is a higher-end casual dining restaurant that features Certified Angus Beef steaks and Fresh Premium Seafood. The Farmhouse features several different types of seating: private booths in the restaurant, a full lounge and bar with an extensive selection of beer, wine, and spirits, as well as a brand new courtyard outside. A portion of the courtyard is enclosed and heated during the winter time so drinking and dining is available outdoors year round! Our Banquet Hall and Private spaces are equipped to accommodate anything from small business meetings and family gatherings to full scale wedding receptions, rehearsals, and graduations. Come join us here at The Farmhouse where we are so much more than just a restaurant!
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Back in the day The Farmhouse was THE place to go for a nice dinner. We hadn't been in years and my husband decided he wanted to go there for his birthday. When we came in, there was no hostess or anyone anywhere. We stood there for a few minutes until I finally walked down the hall to flag down a waitress. The place still looks just the same as it did in the 70's. Rustic, eclectic, cozy private booths with the same red checkered tablecloths. The atmosphere I did like, but little else. I ordered sweetened ice tea, which here in the south is available in EVERY restaurant. All they had was unsweetened to which I had too add my own sugar from an old fashioned dispenser (which will not disolve in cold tea). There was a huge layer of sugar at the bottom of my glass. The waiter suggested the "word famous" onion rings as an appetizer. We got them and they were jumbo rings covered with a hard, stale, flavorless batter. Yuck. Frozen onion rings I fix at home are better than those things. The house salad was decent...good lettuce and nice homemade dressing. Was very disappointed though that from a supposedly fine dining establishment, we were not offered fresh ground pepper. I ordered crab cakes and my husband ordered new york strip. His steak seemed to be cooked well and was okay. The waiter brought out a couple of rolls with whipped spread which were just eh. Definitely not homemade. My crab cakes were terrible. By terrible I mean they smelled and tasted like something rotten. I've eaten crab cakes everywhere and have never had an inedible crabcake before. I managed to choke one down but only because I did not want my husband to know how disappointed I was with the meal. The baked potatoes were good but super small and we had to struggle to open multiple tiny little foil wrapped pks of butter to put on the potatoes. Overall, the food is overpriced and blah, and the whole dining experience just seemed outdated and tacky or something. So sad because this place used to be great. I recommend everyone eat at a chain restaurant. ANY restaurant really. But avoid The Farmhouse.

2  Thank kitten4762

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The restaurant is in an old farmhouse. My son loved the setting. The food was very good and the service was attentive. I was hesitant to go there but I am glad we did.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have been here for for multiple holiday dinners, wedding receptions, business meetings and each time I walk away with the same feeling: This is overrated

There are times where other restaurants in Christiansburg are so crowded and this is a good option that others may overlook but it is overlooked for a reason. I dont think we have had a meal here that we were really impressed by or felt that we could not get anywhere else.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We made reservations and we were asked if a booth was OK. Well, we had never been there, so it seemed like it should be fine, but it was a very dark wood booth with high walls in a hallway. There were table next to ours, but you couldn't see the people, which isn't necessary bad, but it felt odd. Also, the waiter couldn't see us unless he walked right up to our table so he never had any idea when we needed refills or were finished with our meal. The restaurant is in an old building with many hallways, so finding the restroom was interesting. There was no one at the front when we entered, so once again, we had to wander around to find the right person so we could be seated. Then there is the food. Mainly it's a steak house and we were all interested in such. However the steak was not seasoned, the vegetables were over cooked and the potatoes were wrapped in foil. (not bad, per se, but a sign that it's not an upscale place) and our NY strips were $28. Sorry, way too much for that type of food at that type of restuarant. I gave it 3 stars because the quality of the meat was good, the french fries were good (so says the kids), the waiter was nice and tried. We won't be back, though.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place has its tables in what used to be horse stalls. So, most every table is in effect in a small private room. The food was terrific. Service was excellent -- very attentive. A little pricey. I had the ribs which were great. One dinner companion had prime rib. She said the taste was great but it had quite a lot of fat on it. Their French Onion soup is a speciality and very good. Their on-line menu doesn't have prices listed, but expect to pay high $20s to mid-30s for a main course. Appetizers were reasonably priced.