“A little scary, but 'amusing'?”

Crab Creek Seafood Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Entrees individually prepared in a casual atmosphere. Now open at 4 on Wednesday thru Saturday. Call us at 4 to place your take out order and pick it up at 5 in our new Take Away Department. Everything on the menu (except alcohol) is available for Takeout.
Radford, Virginia
“A little scary, but 'amusing'?”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

What a dive! This place reminded me of a haunted house, where you're running like hell scared from it, but also realizing there were amusing aspects.

We went on Friday & easily got a table just before 6. The place filled up with mostly elderly folks (8 of 12? tables) very quickly after that. You don't starve to death waiting; you are served fries & hush puppies. I don't normally like hush puppies, but liked these. Fries probably sat in the freezer a bit too long prior to cooking.

Filthy joint, would hate to see what the kitchen looked like. At the entrance, it looked like the thin carpet hadn't been vacuumed in months. The bathroom (just look for the neon sign) looked like one from a dingy truck stop. The toilet seat had "wood grain" laminate that had peeled up, and the sink and floors had been filthy, obviously for months. One of the amusing parts: the decor. Wow, talk about a time warp! Art on the wall was fresh from the late 80's to 90's with the skinny metal frames & cheap poster prints. I think the fact that this place is so unpretentious and seems to 'not be trying' to appeal to customers is also amusing.

For an appetizer we had the 'crab chips', which was good. We had the scallops Hampton (rich & tasty), sauteed blue crab (portion is very small), & an extra side of crab cake (not too good, more cake than crab, can get better crab cake at bull & bones or river co). I think almost everything had the same bay seasoning in it.

For extra fun, we had a near-death experience at our table. Who puts peanuts in cole slaw?! And who would do this and not indicate it on the menu at least. Our waitress apologized that she usually tells customers there's peanuts in the cole slaw, but forgot this time. She happily replace the cole slaw with some ultra soft honey-glazed carrots.

One star for the experience. Very nice & attentive waitstaff, which ups it to 2. Our glasses were always filled. The prices are a bit high for the environment provided.

• Visited April 2014

Piney Flats, Tennessee
“Best Seafood in Southwest Virginia!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I grew up near the coast and love seafood. Crab Creek has the freshest and best-prepared seafood without the long trip to the beach! The blue crab and steamed shrimp are delicious. No matter what you order, be sure and add the half-pound of shrimp. This is not a fancy restaurant, but I rate it high because the food is top notch. We drive over an hour to eat here.

Roanoke, Virginia
“a best kept secret”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

the best seafood for the price anywhere!!! it's a hole in the wall, but a gem. i'll always go back -- love it!!!

• Visited December 2013
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Ok...first visit...we had really not visited the Crab Creek Restaurant because the outside is in such poor shape we weren't sure they were still in business...but were told by a friend or two that there were so we decided to give it a try. 2/27/2014 It was cold outside and they have a small little gas fireplace in back so we thought wonderful...can get warm. Not so much...room was very cold and by the time we left we were frozen. Food: We were seated and our drinks orders taken quickly but we were only the 3rd person to be there. There was a lady over in corner having dinner. We ordered fried oysters as an appetizer. We were brought shoestring fries and 3 hush puppies in a plastic bowl. Oysters were good. Not sure what they bread them in...but it was tasty and they were cooked perfect. My husband order Salmon, Salad and Slaw...since he was going to eat the remaining fries in the plastic bowl. I ordered seafood feast which included Oysters, small piece of fried cod, breaded shrimp, and a crab cake...more shoe string fries. I did ask for baked potato instead of fries but waitress obvioulsly didn't write it down. The oysters are good. Cod had no flavor at all, same with shrimp...just lots of breading, the crab cake was really dry but when I put the mayo flavored with horseradish on it...was pretty good. We didn't order crab legs, I think they are suppose to be available on Thursdays 2lbs for 20.00 is advertised but wish we had tried them. My husband enjoys a beer with his seafood but from what I understand from another couple that came in as we were finishing up...its hit in miss what they will have available. They are out of a lot of things when you ask for it. They had she crab soup on menu but when I ask for it the waitress told me when they went to make it, the milk had turned bad so he didnt make it that day. Its definitely a quirky place, no atmosphere at all...I think if you stuck with grilled or broiled would be better...and if you like oysters ...prices are high...charging like they are operating a real fresh seafood place. If you are laid back person and can accept they may or may not have things on menu...you may be ok.

1 Thank lovethebeach82762
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Great dinner for Valentine's Day.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I find the food at Crab Creek is excellent with very good service. The atmosphere is low key, comfortable,clean, and family friendly. My husband and I dine here often and have enjoyed every meal particularly the fine crab cakes and house cole slaw. Portions are just right for a satisfying and tasty meal. We will definitely be eating there again,