“A Good, Basic Place to Sleep” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Vienna, VA
“A Good, Basic Place to Sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

We have been regular customers here for several years, because of family commitments. This is at 55 Laurel Street, essentially at Rt. 460 across from Wal-Mart, close by the mall.
The rooms have always been clean. There is an off-screen TV guide to help quickly find one's way through the local line-up.
The staff is competent, and cordial beyond the call of duty as witnessed by my accidently blurting out 'Wahoo' during some end of stay small talk, and they didn't hardly even flinch. They have always accommodated our reservation requests, and they have always had some little something available for us to come get at the desk in case we needed it for the room.
We have never bothered with the very basic complimentary breakfast. We have usually found coffee in the large thermos dispensers into the evening.
One can walk to Wendy's, a deli, and some semi-fast pasta place outlet. The Rt. 460 corridor is full of eateries. IHOP is about a four minute drive to get across the big intersection.

• Liked — It is a reliable, comfortable place to stay while doing things in the area.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

This was the third of three budget hotels we booked in a Delaware - Virginia tour. This is the Super 8 in Christiansburg/Blacksburg on Laurel street - NOT the one in Christiansburg which looks like a tudor style building. So the reviewer who commented on the "log cabin" charm likely had the wrong place in mind when she (and apparently others) lambasted this hotel.

On the contrary, not only was this place really clean, they had many upgrades at a much cheaper rate than any of our other hotel stays. These included microwaves & refrigerators in the room as well as complimentary laundry bags, on site laundry facilities, shampoos and soaps, great tv, clean large bathrooms, comfortable beds with great fluffy pillows. They provided coffee makers in the rooms in addition to a full continental breakfast in the morning which included hot oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, English muffins, bagels, cream cheese, jam spreads, juice, coffee, tea, blueberry muffins, all type of coffee sweeteners, half and half, skim milk. There were no diesel trucks or parking for any in the middle of the motel as one reviewer wrote.

I made the mistake and went to the other Super 8 (the "log cabinney" styled one) as it's the first one you see when you come off the highway and they just handed me preprinted directions to the correct one on Laurel street when we couldn't find my booking- which was the one I had actually booked.

• Liked — What you get exceeds the budget price. AND it's CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Late check in (they wanted to make sure everything was clean - probably because of the wrong reviews)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

The motel was very very clean, which was about all we needed. We arrived after 9 pm and left at 7:30 am so basically just slept. The breakfast was just dry cereal, English muffin or sweet roll. The coffee both in the room and at breakfast was very weak. Yuck. The staff were very friendly both when I called for info and when we arrived and left. We suggest you ask for a room away from the road; we were one room in from the road and it was a bit noisy when a large truck went by.
The wireless internet worked like a charm!

Stayed June 2007
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

First of all, when we arrived there were only smoking rooms left even though we reserved 2 non-smoking rooms. They blamed it on the general reservation system, that we should have called directly (even though I had a confirmation). They did what they could to accomodate us and gave us $5 off per room. The rooms were shabby, they were not dirty, they had been cleaned, but they had worn in dirt look. They also had a musty smell. I saw no cockroaches or dirty linens (they were clean). The breakfast was bare bones, cereal, frozen type bagels, that sort of thing, you could get by on it. The coffee was okay. When I checked out they did try to charge me $1+ per room for a safe that is in each room, I argued and they took it off. Overall, I felt it was clean enough to spend a night here, but I personally wouldn't go back unless I was desperate. We were looking at colleges and I thought that it was closer to VT than some of the other motels (somewhere it said it was close) it was as close as most of the others, so that was no advantage.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

I have stayed in this hotel since the year it was built. The property itself has aged, but the customer service at this hotel is what has always brought us back. We usually stay between 2 and 10 nights per year. I just called to make my reservations for this fall, and have found out that they are changing their policy to require a 2 night minimum stay for VT football weekends. They have also raised the prices significantly this year. I am sad to do this, but I think I will need to find another hotel where they are willing to be more flexible. I hope they reconsider this policy!

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank vthokie88
Florida, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this motel for one night on route to Tennessee. We had a coupon from those magazines you get at the rest areas. The outside looked decent and the lobby was clean. Since we were only staying for a few hours I wasnt looking for anything special just a clean motel with a continental breakfast. When I got to my room I immediately was concerned. The floor looked like it hadnt been vacumed and it had a smokey smell to it, although it was a non smoking room. I also had my 7 year old daughter and my mother in law with me and it was late and we were all very tired. Although I felt the room was sub standard I didnt want to make a big deal out of it. After I got ready for bed I pulled down the covers only to find long brown hairs on the sheets. It was disgusting. It was obvious that the sheets had never been changed. I also noticed that by the bed platform there was sunflower seeds and doritos chips. I went to the manager and he apologized and changed our room. This room appeared cleaner( the floors were vacumed) but the room still smelled. The next morning my husband told me he was pretty sure he saw a cockrouch in the bathroom during the night. My mother in law had went to the free breakfast and brought me back coffee, which was terrible, then as my husband was drying off after showering I heard him groan with disgust. He showed me the towel he was using to dry himself with and it had brown dirt all over it. I went to the manager with the towel and complained. He stated that the maid wasnt very good and refunded 1/2 my money. I didnt expect much from a Super 8, just a clean room and hopefully a decent cup of coffee in the morning. What I got was the filthiest motel I have ever stayed at. It was shameful. My husband and I travel frequently by car and have stayed at many motels off the interstates, but I have never seen such a filthy motel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank caloriecounter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Days Inn Christiansburg
Days Inn Christiansburg
#12 of 14 in Christiansburg
3.0 of 5 stars 213 reviews

Been to Super 8 Christiansburg/Blacksburg Area? Share your experiences!