“just terrible”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was traveling alone with my puppy, after driving 13.5 hours driving home from MS to PA. I was issued a room in the 2nd building last room on the end. I travel often alone & all the hotels Ive stayed once they learn I am alone they issue me a room close to the lobby for my safety. I had to park at the 1st building because of no parking in the back then walk to my room with my personal belongings and the pup. There were men staying there apparently working in the area that were drinking & carrying on outside. I get to my room the carpet was so messed up it was even pulled up by the door. The wiring was totally a fire a hazard. See pictures attached,

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank angielirette

Reviewed July 24, 2010

We've ever stayed in. Don't be fooled by the lower price and pictures. The hotel looks unkept when you drive up - we would have left then if I hadn't had a reservation. Rooms are small and the service is extemely poor. The grounds appear unsafe to include backpackers camping in a vacant property across the street. The service was so poor the hotel couldn't provide any extra towels except a couple of pool towels. The extra money for a roll-away bed was a joke - the bed couldn't be opened in the room the room was so small. The roll-away mattress was so old you could feel all the springs in it. Take our advice and drive by this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank lkl2010
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Traveling south on 81 and needed to rest for the night. This hotel was convenient to the highway, lots of food options nearby, and it was clean and safe and just what we needed. Other than less than great water pressure in the shower, this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2009

After reading the previous reviews I thought I'd "take one for the team" since from the outside it looked like the motel had been through some renovations. 2 story property, all exterior rooms, no elevator. Lobby had been renovated and was very nice. Check in was quick and easy, requested a ground floor room and that's what I got. Room was very clean, had obviously had a makeover. Carpet was clean, but loose in places. The clerk told me that carpet replacement is next on their to do list. Refrig, microwave, hair dryer. A rather worn recliner but the rest of the furnishings were in good condition. Wi-Fi internet worked very well. Pillows and mattress weren't as firm as I would have liked, but were OK. TV was fine with a decent selection of stations. Breakfast consisted of 2 types of cereal, coffee, juice, donuts, toast. Enough to get you going in the morning. There's a Waffle House right next door and several restaurants within easy driving distance. Overall a good stay, a very good value for the dollar. Just for an overnight stopover I'd have no problem staying here again. The clerk did tell me that not all of the rooms have been renovated yet, so if you don't like what you see you might try asking for a different room.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Ordinary room. Poor breakfast. Barely comfy and clean. Smelly. Your low standard hotel by the highway. The one you catch when you are too tired to look somewhere else. Expensive for what it's worth.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Well we were comin home and stopped at this econo lodge only for the night what a let down. the only good things were the pool and the staff were nice enogh. When we first got there they gave a a smoking room which we asked for non smoking. we called the front desk and they said "sorry we forgot to tell you" so we were pretty turned off by that. The rooms did look clean so that was another upside. But there was a drunk guy in the parking lot who was acting weird and threating to beat everybody up SCARY RIGHT so we called the front desk and they told the police who never came down and the drunk guy ran away in his car probably not the most smart thing. The whole place looks more like a motel than a hotel. Also cont. breakfast so small they only serve donghnuts and juice. I would not recommend this hotel or even as I call it motel.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I went to pick up my son from VT for the summer. Most nearby hotels almost doubled their rates for that week. Econo Lodge was a couple of miles further out, but their rates were very good. Too good is what I thought, but I thought I would give it a shot. I was impressed. The room was clean and very large. It had a microwave, fridge, and an outdoor pool. The room was very clean. It has exterior hallways. The breakfast was a minimal continental. The wireless was excellent. My only real complaint was with the room keys. There is a problem here that they attribute to cell phones and credit cards, but I think it is something else. The most I ever had a card key work was twice, then I would have to go to the front desk and have them re-key it.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Quality Inn Christiansburg
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
#8 of 10 in Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Christiansburg

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!