“Not the nicest stay...”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Wardensville, WV
“Not the nicest stay...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were in the area attending a high school football game, and decided to spend the night. We went in with a coupon from the visiting center. We were greeted with the "we can't honor this coupon, Virginia Tech has a home football game tomorrow....(Although the hotel was half empty.....and VT was playing Austin Peay!!!!!). So the $40.00 coupon shot up to $80.00 even when they honored AAA. The front desk gentleman was very nice, but we were greeted by another individual who saw our West Virginia plates on the car and said we "had no business there." Anyway, concerning the room.....the mattress was very thin, you could almost feel the box spring under your body. The sundries in the bathroom were almost nonexistant. The air conditioning was excellent. We did not use the swimming pool because the water was brown. The continental breakfast was very sparse...cereal, instant oatmeal, doughnuts, orange juice. The internet service was so slow I gave up. The maid was extremely nice and, in spite of everything, we left a tip. To be honest, I probably will never be in the Chistiansburg area again, but if I am, I will not stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WaltonTiger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Pretty nasty place really. Sorry, but that's my gut feeling. But what really bothers me is that when I think of the place we stayed the nights before (Radisson, Carteret, NJ) for only about $10 more/night than this fleabag I just cringe.

Now, I'm not saying it's the worst ever hotel I've stayed in. It is tolerable, we slept and had no nasty shocks or anything. But it's really not a good place to stay. However, the area around the hotel is not bad at all. Kinda generic interstate-exit area and walking distance to a Waffle House and near a Ruby Tuesdays. I won't say much more - they were able to accomodate 3 roooms for us and no one really HATED it, but we were happy to leave too. I didn't have reservations as I was trying to go as far as possible that day and this exit happened to also be near VT that we wanted to visit so it sufficed. At, say 50/night it would be about right I guess and the area isn't dangerous or anything like that. But expect a fleabag-style old hotel (with a nice lobby! If only we could stay in the lobby!)

Room Tip: Here's a tip to help travelers choose a good room: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 1BlueDragon1
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place is horrible. We checked in at 4am we asked for a 1pm check out. We called the manager to comfirm in the morning he was so rude and said we need to be gone by 12pm. The room was bad it smelled like someone had died in it. There was hair all over the pillow cases. The air didn't work well. U r better off sleeping in your car. BEWARE STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Tgrace3997
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I will not use your service again. I booked my room online, only to find out it would have been $20.00 less if I had just walked in and paid the regular rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This is one of the worst MOTELS we have ever seen. We walked into the room and it smelled like smoke, dog, mold.... I immediately began sneezing and went to the front office to inform them that we could not stay in the room. They did nothing to correct the situation and refused to issue a refund for both of the two nights that we were scheduled to stay. Not clean, walls had stains and poorly patched drywall, mold and dirt in bathroom, old and tattered linens. Do not stay here!!!!!

Room Tip: Please find another motel.
5 Thank JK2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Just spent 3 nights here for a V-Tech graduation. The reviews were off putting but it was reasonably close and the price was right. There are 2 buildings-we were in the rear. Although they were booked solid we never heard outside noise. There are no indoor hallways. I was fearful of the carpet before arriving yet it was nicer than other pricier hotels. The room was spacious, no complaints about cleanliness. Our room had a microwave and refrig-both operational. There is a free newspaper daily in the reception area. Breakfast was donuts, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, bananas, apples, juice coffee and milk. Hey what do you expect for the low price? Everyone was friendly. There were 4 pillows on the bed but you will only get two sets of linens for 2 people-i.e. no extra towels. Pool not functional. Too few tables in dining area. All in all, the stay was surprisingly pleasant. I felt we received more than what we paid for.

Room Tip: Choose the building in the back for a quieter stay and ask for first floor so you don't have to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pittwildfire
virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

All things considered, room was not awful. A bit musty but clean. Continental breakfast sparse but good for dieters!