“Big Surprise I had!”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My first stay at Quality Inn, Chincoteague. I had been visiting Chincoteague since last 23 years, regularly twice a year, sometimes alone sometimes with my husband. I used to see this hotel since it was called Mariner Motel. I had bad experienced once with Mariner and skipped staying then. This time I told my husband lets try this one, because the exterior looks really fresh and nice combination of colors used. We asked the front desk person, if we can take a look before confirming the room. Perosonel was really courteous and handed us the key, showed the entire property on the map, man this is a huge property almost more than 5 buildings, picnic area, BBQ and even Pony on site. We liked that first impression he showed us for the property, explained what does their room have and we hoped for the same from the room, as we had really bad experience in the room when it was Mariner. We requested something on second floor so that nobody is jumping in the room above and disturbing us. Got to the room and thats it. First look, i told my husband, I am turning on the heat and you register in the office. Room felt so cozy and bright, that i just wanted to see what all they have. As per my regular habit, I started checking things, iron, coffeemaker, bathroom, microwave refrigerator, door lock, tv, airconditioner, lights, everything was working just fine. Lastly came the bed, where most of the hotels/motels we stay we either see hair on the sheets or sheets are stained. I checked both my beds, flipped over nothing was wrong. Believe me i am very picky and i really like finding wrong things first than to get satisfied with right ones. Everything was just so fine, after an hour was sunset, we just stood outside to see that, we noticed they have nice picnic area in the corner with i think 2-3 standing bbq grills, small fountain running in. Really quiet time and nice location. Also got a courtesy call from Front Desk, whether everything is fine in the room and if we need anything for the room. In the morning we went to lobby, to my surprise, they had a nice variety of breakfast, including eggs, yogurts, frest fruits, donuts, bagels etc...which all these i find tough to see in mid-scale hotels. Most of the time i stay at the other hotel in Chincoteague, they server is toast and danishes. Morning staff was also pleasant to talk with.
2 days passed off, back to home, but still we really miss the town of Chincoteague, small but quiet and lovely town. Quality Inn renovations really surprised us, we would definately go back to same hotel now on every year we go, and would like to recommend to anyone who just wants to relax and enjoy this town.
Also ask for their daily specials, we got this room with tax around $55 which is not bad for all the things you get in this time of the year.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank kimberlyvac

Reviewed February 9, 2009

Nice place to stay. Read reviews about this hotel so didnt made any prior reservation. Just walked in, front desk person was really nice, walked with us and showed us the room. Room looked recently renovated with all the amenities needed. We requested for 2 rooms downstairs and were accomodated. Nice and firm mattresses, weather was sunny, had chance to BBQ.
Most of the shopping places and restaurants were closed as it was off season, but were lucky to find some places open. Breakfast had enough varieties to start the day with. Only thing we didnt like was the pony was not their and pool being exterior was closed till may. Property had fitness room, a little picnic area to hang around in the evening.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, each of us enjoyed our stay and would definately recommend this hotel to our friends going to Chincoteague Island. Thanks to the staff for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vats
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I spent one night at the Quality Inn in Chincoteague, where I took a weekend beach trip with my girlfriend. At check-in, the clerk at the front desk offered us the upgraded wood-paneled king suite for $10 more, and I took it. It actually had a great outdoorsy smell to it, and it was really nicely appointed. The room was very big and spacious, it had all manner of amenities and it did not seem to have any of the problems that other reviewers seemed to discover, maybe because it was one of the high-end suites. The shower had great pressure, it had a microwave and fridge in the room, and the king bed was very comfortable. We didn't really spend a lot of time in the room other than in the evening and overnight. We went to the beach, took the tour of Assateague Island (bring bug spray, but it's wonderful!), took a multitude of pony pictures, and just spent time out on the island and park.

For dinner, we enjoyed an all-you-can-eat seafood feast at the restaurant next door to the hotel, Steamers. I highly recommend the place, I got my money's worth, but my gf didn't really...but that's ok, we had a great time! They have ponies on the hotel premises, and if you have kids, take them there and have them feed them, they're very friendly and docile. Something to consider, we went in July and paid $129 on a Saturday night for this room, a comparable room in Ocean City, MD, which is 1000x more crowded, dirtier, and full of obnoxious kids, is easily twice this amount. And its' only about an hour away, a nice drive down the coast, so consider that if you want a beach weekend in the summertime, I highly recommend Chincoteague over OC, any day of the week. There is nothing wrong with this Quality Inn, we both enjoyed our stay immensely!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JCS276
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I booked through the motel website. Would have saved $20 if I had gone elsewhere. Still $100 for 2 nights nowadays is remarkable - weekly rate is $175. THE major reason to stay here, although the location is good as it is on the Assateague side of the island (the reason to come to Chincoteague). It's quiet (I was never aware of anybody else surrounding me), secure, and relatively clean. Well, one of the chairs was "spotty," but the beds, and bath areas were spotless - no smell of mustiness. I was a solo traveler in a room where four people could stay. Difficult to imagine, as I filled up the space with my stuff easily. I spend a lot of time on my computer and the only functional space was a table jammed between one of the beds and the very noisy but effective heater. No sugar or creamer with the inhouse coffeemaker. Nice firm mattresses with insubstantial pillows. I arrived late (after midnight on New Year's Eve) and had to use the exterior phone to summon the desk clerk. Not really a problem except that I had to stand in an inch deep puddle of water to use it. There are better places to stay, but I look for security, relative quiet, and cleanliness at a good price and located within a decent distance of where I want to be, all of which this place had.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank goodhead14
Reviewed October 1, 2008

My husband, sister, nephew, our two dogs and I, on our way to the Outer Banks for a week, decided to make a half-way stop at Chincoteague Island. Although we found the island charming enough for our one night stay we would have preferred camping on the beach to our stay at the "Quality" Inn. Quality Inn - I've never heard a more ironic name considering the outrageous price we paid for a disgustingly dirty room, rude service and a room/hotel that was substandard in every way. A pet friendly room with two queen beds was $250 -for this price we got towels that were so dirty that there were large pieces of food and other goo attached to them, the tub was caked with dirt and as a bonus the previous hotel guest's earring was left on the bathtub ledge. There was hair in the sink, the rug hadn't been vacuumed in quite some time and the covers and sheets on the bed were dirty. The T.V. looked like it had been used as an ashtray for several years with burn holes around it and the room smelled of mold. My husband and nephew arrived at the hotel first and they complained to the front desk. The man from the front desk came to our room and amazingly proclaimed to my husband and nephew that the room was indeed clean and I guess he was also inferring that my husband & nephew were hallucinating instead of truly seeing actual filth before their eyes. My sister and I drove up to the hotel just in time to see the front desk guy beat a hasty retreat from our room. We noticed that both my husband and nephew looked upset. My husband said,"I don't think you're going to like this room. I complained but the guy won't do anything about it." My sister and I looked around the room, were outraged and went to the front desk. We were greeted by the same man we saw leaving our room when we drove up and when we complained to him about our room he actually had the guts to say,"I checked your room and it's clean." This guy should play professional poker for a living. I told him that he must not have very good eye sight because the place was so egregiously dirty that I planned to put the pictures of our health hazard of a room up on TripAdvisor as a warning to future travelers to avoid this "Quality" Inn like the plague. That finally got him moving. So instead of starting my vacation sightseeing or laying on the beach, I spent the next hour supervising the cleaning of the bathroom, the vacuuming of the floor, helping with making the beds with clean covers and sheets (after I discarded several "clean" blankets and sheets that the maid brought in that actually had dirt and grass clinging on them). We will never forget the worst way we ever spent $250 and will never ever stay at another Quality Inn. Perhaps other Quality Inns do not deserve to be lumped in with this dump but there is obviously no quality control going on in this chain of hotels which makes the name brand completely useless.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BouncingButterfly
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My family and I have stayed in many Quality Inn's over the years and I am a "choice member". However, This was by far the worst time we ever had!!! We were reserved for 4 nights-only stayed one! We had a very rude desk person on our check-in and it went downhill from there. After we checked in I called her about crud on the bathroom floor near the toilet and body hair in the tub and on the floor. I wanted someone from housekeeping to come in while we were out. I was told that there was no one available to clean the bathroom. (everyone from housekeeping was gone) IThis was not the middle of the night - it was in early afternoon!

My wife finally cleaned the bathroom herself. If we had access to a vacumn cleaner she would have used that also since our socks and feet were black from dirt after walking in the room.

When asked about the 100% guarentee we were told by Ray it didn't apply to us. We stayed in the room for the 1 night. Although they had signs all over the motel. And, we were not happy at all. We were offered a small discount on a future stay. Like we will ever stay at that motel again when we are on Chincoteague.

We stayed here last year and everything was wonderful....What a turnaround!!!! The front desk people were exceptionally nice and bent over backwards to be helpful The breakfast area was spotless and the hostess was exceptional. Although the room is still small. We were able to take our trays back to our room...not this year. The breakfast room was dirty and the food seemed to be thrown at us in dirty, greasy display cases. And the food tasted stale! We left it uneaten and went to a local restaurant.

We cut our time short (left right after breakfast) but we moved to another motel down the street. They were very nice and helpful.....AND CLEAN!

We were very unhappy with this motel. Very dirty and very very unfriendly staff. They made us feel as though it was our fault the rooms were dirty and we had the nerve to complain. They acted as though we were there to serve them not the other way around. You can't treat guests the way they did!! Without us they won't be in business very long.

The only bright spot was the maintenance man always had a smile and tried to be helpful. He kept the pool and the grounds very well.

And of course Lightening the Chincoteague Pony!!!! He is always a treat.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank g_g_popperNj
Reviewed September 10, 2008

Carpet chewed by animal leaving exposed rusty carpet tacks. Room smelled so bad that we had to buy scented candles to get through the night. Tub wouldn't drain. Bath towels filthy. Front desk expressed little to no concern regarding overall poor conditions of the room.
It was the only motel in area with availablity when I reserved. Only booked it because it was part of a national chain. It was a bad decision. The 100% gaurantee satisfaction sign displayed in the room means nothing. When I inquired at the front desk about using the gaurantee, I was informed by the desk manager that she could not do anything and I would have to speak to the manager. I asked to see the manager and was told that he was not available. It's been a month since the incident and the only attempt by the motel to address the matter is a recent offer of 25% off of my next stay at the motel. That's an offer that they will never have to make good on.
Worst experience I've ever had at a motel. I suggest you spare yourself a similar experience and stay away from this place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family