“Amazing dinner. We will go back every time we're down.....”

Bill's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner since 1960. The freshest local seafood, hand cut steaks, and chops. As well as pasta dishes. All accompanied by our international wine list. Beer and cocktails are served. Be sure to save room for our legendary desserts
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Ate here about a month or so ago......wife and I went down to check out the area and look at some houses for summer vacation.

Ordered coconut shrimp as an appetizer, and it was great. Then again, coconut + shrimp are among life's most perfect pairings, and I don't recall ever ordering coconut shrimp that I didn't like....so take that for what it's worth!

I ordered the cream of crab (and coming from someone from the eastern shore of Maryland who grew up crabbing and whose grandmother made the best crab dishes known to all mankind) and it was very very good. My wife, who likes crab, but doesn't go out of her way to order it like I do, couldn't keep her spoon out of my bowl. Again, very good.

For dinner, I ordered the flounder (when in Rome....) stuffed with crab imperial, scallops, and shrimp. I don't often order fish, but I knew if there was going to be a good place to order flounder, it should be Chincoteague.....and it did not disappoint. The flounder was HUGE and everything else was perfect. It was excellent.

For desert, based on the travel agent lady's recommendation, we ordered the chocolate cake....don't remember the exact name, but it was made in several layers, and it was probably the best chocolate anything I have ever eaten.

Anyway, Bill's is one of those places where if you are in Chincoteague and you want a memorable and fantastic meal, this place is an absolute must. We will be back every time we are ever in Chincoteague. Guaranteed.

And have others have mentioned, or errr...complained about, the lighting is low. However, I don't go to places for the lighting....or for the seating area while you wait for a table....I go for the quality of the meal.

And by the way, MAKE RESERVATIONS. Even in February/March....

PS - complaints about calories?? At a seafood restaurant? Seriously?? You don't go here to count calories, you go here for a fine quality meal. You want to count calories? Try a 6" veggie sub from subway. Sheesh.

1  Thank ESMDVAShorereviewer
Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I ate there for his 60th birthday. Both the décor and the menu are in desperate need of an upgrade. We checked out the menu before going, but decided that it might be fun to step back in time to the 60s/70s. Even though we had a reservation, restaurant, we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. There is no place to sit while waiting, which is not helpful for anyone with a disability.

The food itself is so/so. I ordered a cup of cream of crab soup. It was flavored with some kind of spicy cheese product (something a notch or two above Cheez Wis). The crab cakes were okay and flounder was pretty good too. My husband liked the crab imperial. I didn't try it.

Our server kept making wise cracks about my husband's large appetite. He thought she was just trying to be friendly, but I found it to be highly unprofessional.

I asked the maitre d for a recommendation for the best desert. He suggested a blueberry lemon cream cake. It wasn't worth the calories.

The lighting was terrible; so dark I couldn't read the menu. And, it was cold. I ate with my winter coat on. I really don't care about the atmosphere if the food is good. But, we had better meals in Chincoteague for less than half the price.

1  Thank wendy f
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Warm, inviting atmosphere complimented by friendly, charming wait staff makes for a perfect way to end a day at the beach. The food is tasty with well prepared seafood and meat options. Don't miss it.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We looked at the internet for a good restaurant in Chincoteague. We based our decision on where to go based on how many stars each restaurant had and also on the reviews. This restaurant was the most promising. We were not disappointed in this restaurant. Everyone ordered something different and all of loved what we ordered. My son's steak was outstanding! Everyone else got seafood and everyone loved their seafood. We will return although we are from Delaware.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My wife and I were visiting Chincoteague Island and, at our hotel, we asked for recommendations for restaurants. Our innkeeper, without hesitation, recommended Bill's. Our meals were so great, we ate there a second night as well. Between my wife and I, we tried the mixed seafood broil, the broiled scallops, steamed clams, shrimp and scallop brioche, and crab cakes. All were first class! The hosts were very attentive, and the waitresses were professional, helpful and friendly. The waitresses were both knowledgeable about the various dishes and were able to make excellent wine recommendations. The menu also includes quite a few gluten free options which are clearly marked on the menu. A wonderful, freshly baked loaf of bread, with a honey glaze, is delivered with every meal. Although Bill's is not inexpensive, it is very reasonable when considering the high quality of the food and the staff. I would recommend making reservations, since Bill's is very popular!