“Get the crab dip”

Don's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Local Favorite Since 1973. Located in the Heart of Downtown Chincoteague. Oysters & Clams on the Half-Shell. Great place for Family Gatherings, Parties,& Meetings
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Our server was WONDERFUL. Friendly - but not overly so. She waited to put our food in (and told us she was going to do that and asked us if that was OK) because the dip would take a few minutes. We had salad from the salad bar (not a great selection at the salad bar - but everything was fresh). As soon as we finished our salads, the crab dip came, and right when we were done with the dip, our dinner arrived.

the crab dip was not a gooey mess like it is in most places - this was lump crab, perfectly seasoned with cheese. It came with homemade phyllo dough chips.

I had broiled crab cakes for dinner - they were good. No filler. My baked potato had clearly been re-heated which was a little bit of a disappointment.

But the star of dinner was the prime rib my husband ordered. Luckily it was too big for him and I got a few pieces out of him. Amazing. I have not had prime rib like that anywhere else.

the atmosphere is casual - it is right downtown across from some local shops.

1  Thank princesstunella
Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed August 26, 2010

Extremely overpriced for the food that you get. The crab dip came with some sort of toasted pita that was worse than communion, the rolls were the dinner roll type you can buy at the grocery store in a 30 pack (and not the good ones!), the crab cake had not a single lump anywhere and the soup was extremely bland. The shrimp was either overdone or not fresh and had a chewy texture. Overall bland, overpriced and far from a worthwhile experience. The only plus was that the staff was extremely friendly.

Reviewed August 21, 2010

We wanted to go to the Village for a good seafood meal in Chincoteague, My son and his girlfriend had never had seafood. The Village was not open yet so we drove and found Don's. What a mistake. The restaurant was dirty, old and the food was even worse. We all ordered something different but I got the seafood sampler so that everyone could try some of each kind of seafood. The food was bland and tasted all the same. The price was way too much for any of the portions my family received. Needless to say after spending $100 plus we didn't get a chance to go to another seafood restaurant on the island. What a disappointment we all decided Red Lobster in Cleveland OH has better food.

1  Thank maryloretta
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We just got back from a week at Chincoteague Island Virginia 8/9/2010.The 1st restaurant, we chose to try was Don's Seafood Restaurant on Main Street. The seafood was not fresh, Portions were very small. My wife, 2 kids and I was a total was $80.00 and I have had better seafood at Long John Silver`s and for much less .The salad bar was one-trip and not great. The fish tasted like frozen. My son got a pizza, and I've had better frozen pizza. The shrimp basket, my daughter ordered was overcooked and the shrimp were so small. I have nothing good to say about this place. Second night, we went to Steamer's. Now, that was awesome.

1  Thank tiberiusz
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Good place to eat... staff very nice and helpful. We enjoyed fish fries, fried chicken and other great entrees.