“Decent Seafood, Decor Needs an Update”

Don's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Local Favorite Since 1973. Located in the Heart of Downtown Chincoteague. Oysters & Clams on the Half-Shell. Great place for Family Gatherings, Parties,& Meetings
Reviewed March 5, 2009

My family and I dined at Don's twice. The first night we all chose seafood dishes and each had a decent meal. My wife chose a well prepared flounder. I was a little more hungry so I chose the seafood platter. The founder was excellent but the rest of the platter was only average. Do NOT do the trip to the dated 1970's salad bar. The food did not appear fresh on the salad bar at all. My daughter did like her chicken fingers. Overall the food was ok. On the second night we were not as lucky. I started my meal with the oyster stew. Wonderful plump oysters in a buttery stew was the highlight of the night. The rest was down hill! My wife chose the fried oysters. The breading could only be described as odd, part flour and part crackers. Odd. I chose the prime rib. BIG MISTAKE. An obvious vacusealed microwave processed "meat". Yuk. The worse part, a trip to the salad bar comes with that mess! The entire place is dated and really needs an update. They should also consider updating the menu and leave off the processed prime rib.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed January 1, 2009

General note: If you come to Chincoteague, it's for Assateague, which is wonderful. The town itself is locked in the 50s/70s, as are most of the menu choices (although the tiny Vietnamese place looks interesting). No place is high on "ambience." That said, it's not as bad as many reviewers have stated. Not once did I have anything fried. Stick to what you came here for - the sea: crab, shrimp, oysters in season. Not a place for vegetarians.
Don's: It isn't part of the advertising, but based on my experience of living in North Carolina and Alabama. this comes close to being a "Southern" restaurant. For example, the daily special was barbecue ribs, the homemade potato slightly sweet and heavy on the mayo. The only interesting thing on the salad bar was black-eyed peas and ham soup (it was New Year's Day), which was the best I've ever had. Started with the oyster stew, which the friendly waitress said was "made to order." A little watery and underspiced by New England standards, but buttery and flavorful with lots of whole oysters. Entree was crab imperial, much better than most I've had - clearly bubbling straight from the grill - pure fresh crab flavor and lots of it. OKay wine, decent coffee.

1  Thank goodhead14
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Known for its seafood and being just meters from where the fisherman dock, Don's is one of my two favorite seafood spots on Chincoteague Island (the other is Bill's). Don's has a water view and delicious menu items. Relaxed interior that would probably be good for a retirement dinner or big family gathering.

Reviewed October 2, 2008

Just spent the afternoon in Chincoteague and everything was closed. We asked a local guy in a bookstore where to eat supper at a reasonable price with two picky kids and he recommended Dons. My husband had the hamburger steak, which should be passed up. Instant potatoes, blah meat. I had the seafood alfredo and it was actually really yummy. Huge plate full of food and good rolls. Service wasn't stellar, but not horrible.

Reviewed September 15, 2008

We ate there this Saturday night and absolutely enjoyed our meals. I had a seafood platter with crabs, it was huge and delicious. My fiance had the seafood platter with fish and that was also huge and delicious. The beer was cold, the rolls were warm and the service was great, We would definitely return