“Decent restuarant AWFUL family management”

Don's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Local Favorite Since 1973. Located in the Heart of Downtown Chincoteague. Oysters & Clams on the Half-Shell. Great place for Family Gatherings, Parties,& Meetings
Northville, Michigan
“Decent restuarant AWFUL family management”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Visited Don's Friday and Saturday night for cocktails and dancing. We spent a decent amount of money, bought some locals drinks and tipped well. We returned on Sunday for dinner which was very good. I enjoyed my salad bar and Catch of the Day. The waitstaff was very pleasant and tried to cheer us up after the OWNER'S DAUGHTER spoke very mean to one of our travel companions. She was also very mean to an elderly couple in front of us for not being on-time for their reservation. We are three successful ladies in our 40's and did not appreciate being accosted by a snotty spoiled kid with no skills to work in a restaurant. I don't see this place enjoying a 4th generation if she remains involved in the business.

7 Thank MauHayes
go2dons, Owner at Don's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Should you ever be in the area, I welcome you to revisit to Don's and experience the hospitably, service and fresh seafood we are known for.
Once again please except my sincere apologies on your visit.
Warmest Regards
Tommy Clark

Northville, Michigan
“Very rude hostess - stay away.”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My group of three visited Don's on May 24th for dinner. We had been there the night before and had a great time at the bar upstairs. We thought we would try it for dinner. Upon arrival I went to the desk to put my name on the waiting list. The hostess was very snotty to the couple in front of me. I guess they had a reservation but the hostess rudely spouted that she had called their name at 6:47 while pointing at her watch. Someone else intervened and seated them. At this point I should have just walked out, but didn't. I added my name for a party of 3 and went upstairs to get a drink at the bar while waiting for our table.
Upstairs they have a separate dining room and there were several open tables. One of my companions asked the waitstaff up there if these tables were separate from downstairs or not. She said we could have one of the tables. This was ok with me because I figured I'd rather sit up there anyway since there was a view of the bay. Out of politeness, I went back downstairs to tell them to take my name off the list so they wouldn't bother to come looking for me. Well, this caused the hostess to become unhinged. She followed me back upstairs and demanded that I point out the rebel that sat me at a table. After this, she rudely proceeded to inform me that 'for future reference, a waiting list means wait!'. I'm not joking. I had a couple words with her and then sat down for dinner.
The server apologized for the host's behavior and she was very nice and attentive. The meal itself was just ok. A little bland really.
After paying the bill, we went to chat with the manager/owner to let him know that this person was mistreating customers. The hostess was there and pointed me out as the one that cussed at her. While trying to have a conversation with the manager, this girl rudely interjected with a horrible accusatory tone saying 'have you been drinking!?'. Really? One drink at your restaurant while having dinner? She followed this up by ranting that she was the owner's daughter. I guess she feels that gives her license to treat everyone that comes in her dad's place like crap. I finished relating what had happened earlier and we left.
Now this is just crazy.. As we were walking down the street to go back to our car, 'owner's daughter' followed in her car and screeched to a stop on the curb, jumped out of her car and was screaming at us like an insane person. She was trying to start a fight! Of course, we would not be enticed into a physical brawl over something so ridiculous.
AVOID this place. If you do go here, be forewarned about 'owner's daughter'.

9 Thank acb009
I apologize for the situation that arose while all of you were at Don's on May 29th. With a 45 minute wait each table is listed and put on a seating chart for the next guest on the list. By moving over from the bar to a table without hostess direction it will turn into chaos. I do not know what was said or the "had a couple words with her", it would have been nice if that had been the end. I became aware of the situation when you came back down stairs to chat with the manager/owner. Some of the comments being made by you and my daughter were not what I would expect from either of you. My wife is from Northern Virginia and relocated to the Chincoteague area after college.
Once again please except my sincere apologies on your visit.
Warmest Regards
Tommy Clark
Troy, Ohio
“We found the ONE Not So Nice Person on the Island”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Spent Memorial weekend on Chincoteague Island. LOVE the Island :)
For nightlife, Don's is the only place on the Island worth going too, good beer and drinks reasonably priced. We had a great time upstairs Friday and Saturday night. Enjoyed all of the local people and other travelers. Would go back for that. Sunday evening we stopped there for dinner. Dinner was good. The views upstairs of the sunset over the bay was worth it. The waitstaff and bartenders were nice and attentive.
The hostess, however, was rude to everyone she spoke with. We talked with the owner after our meal about her. She interupted our conversation with the owner and informed us that "she's the owners daughter!", caused a scene and, WOW.. It was apparent after we left the restaurant that the owner sent her home, 'cause she chased us down the street in her car, screaming "get off of my island B****s, actually getting out of her car wanting to fight, WOW. Stay away from the red headed daughter of "Don". I'm quite sure "her" Island would like her off of it :)

9 Thank K N
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great food, great prices!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Don's Seafood Restaurant is like a trip down Memory Lane, both in terms of good ol' fashioned quality food and good ol' fashioned low prices. My founder dinner was delicious, as was my second dinner there, a pork loin cooked a la Hawaiian. Scrumptious. Oh, and where can you get a half-liter of house wine for $6? At Don's Seafood Restaurant, of course. I highly recommend this wonderful family-owned and run eatery. Everybody working there is absolutely customer-service oriented. I will go back!

1 Thank AaronEllis2266
Milford, Delaware
“Hard to Beat for Seafood”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed on Chincoteague for 3 days, and ate twice at Don's Seafood. Very pleasant staff and good solid seafood at reasonable prices. Salad bar could use a little upgrade, but still not bad. Bill's Seafood place is nearby, but comparing meals, which looked to be pretty much the same, Don's menu was on average $4-$5 bucks less costly. We recommend Don's.