“Very good Oysters”

Don's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Local Favorite Since 1973. Located in the Heart of Downtown Chincoteague. Oysters & Clams on the Half-Shell. Great place for Family Gatherings, Parties,& Meetings
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Had a light lunch before heading to OBX. Place got busy on a Monday lunch but got seated and served very promptly. Had the dozen oysters and they were great. Would have taken another dozen if it weren't for the driving ahead. Would return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Don's had really good reviews, so I was expecting some more of that great Chincoteague seafood. Not so. The best thing I can say about Don's Seafood is that a person without teeth would have no problem eating here. My husband made the mistake of ordering the buffet and salad bar. I had a cup of clam chowder and Cesar salad with fried oysters. Oysters are a Chincoteague specialty. What Don's did to them was criminal. They were dipped in a heavy (days old) batter and fried in weeks old oil that wasn't hot enough. The result was a gummy funky tasting coating that destroyed the oysters. The soup was definitely canned, as was every item on the salad bar (canned fruit cocktail, canned beets, etc.). Food on the buffet was mostly “mystery meat”. Everything was coated in the same disgusting batter as the oysters and coated with the same gray sauce. I think it was supposed to be Alfredo sauce. Whatever it was supposed to be, it tasted like wall paper paste.

Our service pretty much matched our food. The server, while pleasant enough, was clueless. Example: After finishing our meal (after eating one oyster I gave the rest to my husband and picked at my salad), both of us felt like we had swallowed a five pound bag of concrete. We wanted to go back to our rental and take a long walk to work through what had just assaulted our bodies. But, we had to wait fifteen minutes for our server to grab our credit card so we could leave. The place was pretty much empty (a hint that we shouldn't have stayed), so I'm not sure what caused the delay.

1  Thank wendy f
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We ate here twice while visiting Chincoteague. They farm their own oysters nearby. We had a dozen each both nights and they were superb. Their soft crab and crab cake sandwiches were really good. And beer prices were reasonable. We were in heaven. The place looks old school in a charming way and the staff is friendly and attentive. Fun place with a very neat local feel.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went to a competitor the night before. Don's is a more casual restaurant, but the service and food were excellent! The portion size was a great value. In addition, if you sit upstairs by the bar, you will have a harbor view. We will definitely visit again!

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband had fried oysters and I had the crab imperial stuffed flounder. Very good. Have the crab dip for appetizer! Service was friendly and attentive, casual atmosphere. Nice salad bar too.