“We thought it was good... turned out to be just okay.”
Review of AJ's on the Creek

AJ's on the Creek
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: For generations, the folks at AJ's have been passing down delicious seafood recipes from parent to child. We specialize in historically great seafood.
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I were visiting Chincoteague for a romantic birthday getaway. AJ's was the first place we went to when we got into town. It looked nice, and it was on a creek so we thought we'd enjoy the view. The hostess seated us inside, at booth where both of the seats were coming apart. The establishment does not look very clean.

We ordered the fried sampler appetizer (on vacation, why not!) We thought it was good, but then there were clues that it might not be as fresh as we thought-- the mushrooms were cold, etc. A lot of the menu is fried, which is a problem you may find all throughout Chincoteague. Our dinners were very heavy. I got the smothered flounder and was not very fond of it. Founder in general does not have a lot of flavor, the "scampi" was more oil than flavor. The "smothered" part was delicious. I'd like to think the seafood was all fresh, but admittedly, it was our least favorite over the three days we ate seafood in Chincoteague.

For the price point, being in tourist attraction like Chincoteague and being so close to fresh seafood, at the end of the night we were a bit disappointed. We also got stomachaches-- which may have been the food, or may have been the disappointment.

(Note: Most entrees were 21-30$.)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's trying to be a bit fancy, but it's your basic small town on the shore, fisherman's platter type place -- but good! It was quite crowded on a Saturday night and I waited in the bar for a table. The bar is obviously a local hangout with lots of regulars, and I got into fun conversation with several local folks before being seated in dining room. Local oysters on the half shell - FABULOUS. I was so in love with oysters that I also had fried oysters (small portion) for an entree. They were good too but not as insanely good as the raw ones. They have a wine list but I think it’s just bottles. House wine (by the glass) was OK.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

From the appetizers to the main course you will be satisfied!! I live on the island and eat there at least once a week!! Great seafood, and the BEST steak on the island!!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

My family and I visited AJ's for dinner during our stay in Chincoteague. The dinner was very good, I had the salmon special, it was good, not the best salmon I have ever had, but enjoyable. My mother-in-law got a steak which was cooked and seasoned perfectly, and very delicious. My husband got a seafood scampi dish which was buttery and delicious and I would have eaten off of his plate the entire if he had let me. It was that good. My father in law got the shellfish bouillabaisse, which he loved. While my salmon was average, everyone else had a wonderful meal.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We've been stopping here for ever, never dissapointed in the food or the service. It's not a big place so can get a little noisy when crowded but it's so friendly we never mind.