“Poor service, average food”
Review of AJ's on the Creek

AJ's on the Creek
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: For generations, the folks at AJ's have been passing down delicious seafood recipes from parent to child. We specialize in historically great seafood.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our Innkeeper highly recommended this restaurant. I wish I had known that it was only ranked #24 of 37 restaurants in Chincoteague, as I believe this #24 ranking is correct. While waiting to be seated (there were plenty of tables open but it took a few minutes before we were helped) a waitress walked by and said "someone will be with you shortly." That should have been our clue. Our seat was near the front door and I heard "someone will be with you shortly" a number of times during the hour we were there eating. Our waitress wasn't easy to find and didn't come by often. My tastes are not toward fine seafood, so you have to take that into account, but I had fried flounder and it was just average. My wife had the Chincoteague Oysters, and they too were average. She greatly prefers oysters she's had in Rehoboth Beach and Tilghman Island.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This restaurant is supposed to be "fine dining" ! The meals are served on PLASTIC plates and bowls ! Place in urgent need of facelift from 70's décor. Waitress did not know specials even after checking. Ceasar Salad was not ceasar dressing and croutons were store bought and stale.
We had our salads for less than 3 minutes when the waitress came out with our main course and was apologizing for it being prepared too early. It sat on our table while we finished our salad.
Shrimp marinara was bland and undercooked. My guess is was frozen shrimp thrown directly into the sauce and put on top of overcooked pasta. Sauce was not marinara sauce. Did not see any signs of basil or proper marinara seasoning.. tasted and smelt like raw tomatoes. My wifes garlic shrimp was mediocre at best and because it was served to early, the dish was lukewarm when we started eating it.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We make it a point to eat at AJ'S very year when we are in Chincoteague. The food has always been good and the prices are as reasonable as any on the island. Another plus is the fact that they will take reservations

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The food was delicious! I would recvomend it highly, i suggest the scallops , my initial reaction is that it might be high end but it was quite reasonable .

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I ate here on the Tuesday after Labor Day. It was full, but not so busy that there was a wait to be seated. It was not overly busy.

We were seated immediately and had to wait 20 minutes before anyone came to even ask us for drinks. I would have characterized this as an unfortunate oversight - except, the host came by twice to apologize for the inexplicable delay in getting a server. It seemed as if the host was at odds with one or more of the servers and could not convince them to take our order. Just as we lost our patience and were prepared to leave, the host drafted the bartender to take our order. Fortunately, the bartender was wonderful, attentive and friendly. She was professional and worked hard to make up for the lack of professionalism of her colleagues. But clearly she was drafted out of her normal duties because the host or manager had some problem with the servers.

The food was good, but not great. In fairness, the host discounted my wife's drinks and dessert - which we appreciated.

Not sure what was going on this night - but the host/manager needed better cooperation or coordination with his server staff.

1  Thank Travel_Carma