“Leaves much to be desired”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Chincoteague Inn

Chincoteague Inn
“Leaves much to be desired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

This motel leaves a lot to be desired. The room we stayed in had a strong musty smell, mold on the ceiling and many dark stains on the walls. The two chairs were so stained and dirty that I wouldn't let my children sit on them. My girls did love the pool, but showering afterward was tricky, as the water would randomly fluctuate from warm to scalding. On the plus side, this Inn has a great location, in walking distance to many great restaurants and activities. Overall I would not recommend it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Happyvacationer420

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Harrisville, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here during a recent visit to Chincoteague. This is an old hotel, but it provides the basics: comfortable bed and pillows, a microwave, toaster oven and mini fridge, and daily maid service which keeps things smelling and looking clean. There is no safe in the room for any expensive items, but the doors locked up just fine.

This place is old...keep that in mind! I was situated on the first floor, and could hear the squeaking of the floorboards above me with every step. I could imaging that during the summer this place could get pretty busy and loud with people walking by your room, but that really is the risk you'd take with any hotel experience.

The front desk staff were very polite, and although they were selling their Mary Kay products on the counter -- this seemed to imply this was a family / locally run place.

The only thing that I didn't like was their reservation and payment policy. You have to make a one day deposit (almost non refundable) and pay for the entire reservation upon your arrival. I don't think they make exceptions, so if you don't like what you get, you don't get your money back if you leave.

Room Tip: The room I had on the first floor seemed to have a very warped and squeaky floor, you can hear foots...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I spent two weeks at this place during one of my many adventures. It offers basic lodging at a reasonable price. There are three floors and no elevator. Please keep this in mind.
There was a takeout seafood place accross the street that offered very freshly caught fish and crustaceans.
The NASA base at Wallops Island is a ten minute drive from the hotel.

This is a nice place to stay while going to the beach or to just relax for a while.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Met my sister and family last minute on the island. Was a little worried about my stay there after reading some of the reviews but it was the cheapest place on the island. When I arrived I loved the rustic feel of the place and the staff was great. I had a remodeled room and it was perfect. Great location in this great little town. Short drive or bike ride to the beach which is natural and undeveloped. Great weekend trip and great hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank earthbisket
Salisbury, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

The hotel is a bit old and could use some upkeep and repairs. It was very inexpensive but clean enough. The carpet and bedding appeared new. The beds were very comfortable but the room was very plain. The heat was a portable radiator heater that you plug in but it kept the room warm enough. For a place to crash overnite, without reservations, it works. But, if you are looking for nice with the little perks that go with a better place this does not have it. The front desk clerk was very nice and knew her job. The office closed down before midnight so I am not sure how you would check in after they close and when we went to check out about 9am they were still closed so I am not sure of the office hours. You may want to try to call ahead if you can.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have to say I was a little worried after reading some reviews I can say I was pleasantly surprised. Then I noticed all the bad reviews are the same. "Blah blah blah, wanted a refund, blah blah blah they didn't give it to me, Blah blah blah its pigsty.

The service I had was outstanding. I had a problem with my shower and it was fixed within an hour.
The room were the cleaned daily. This is something you almost never see outside the big chains. I did see some insects in the hallway but its outside and the island is basically a big swamp.

How anyone can not give a 5 rating on location is beyond me. It smack dab in the middle of everything. Not on the water but far enough from swarms of mosquitoes that you can sit outside without requiring a blood transfusion.

The price was the best selling point. I paid $106 where another hotel was charging $260. But with that price you don't get breakfast and a mint on your pillows. If your looking for more bang for your buck in this troubled economy this is the place for you.

But then again I didn't ask for a refund :)

Hope this review helps you when picking a place to stay on Chincoteague Island.

• Stayed August 2011
7 Thank BaltimoreBoy89
York, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a couple nights at Chincoteague Inn and when we arrived, first off, they charged us full price even though we had already paid our deposit. They said that they didn't..even though we had a bank statement... We had paid for a NON-smoking room, we get into the FIRST room and right outside the door is a bucket FULL of cigarettes, the room's smell was unbearable and musty. We then asked for a different room. The SECOND room was even worse, there was an ash tray and an awfully strong odor of mold or musk. So then they gave us a twin bedroom and said we could move into another room the next day.. no that's not how we're spending our vacation. That THIRD room was just as bad. We told them we did not want to stay there anymore and wanted our money back. They told us "no refunds for checking out early" ..they gave us THREE different rooms and we hadn't even moved our bags into any of them. I barely consider this checking in. I asked to speak with a manager..of course not present or within reach. It took the girl 15 minutes find the "assistant manager" ( whom I had recently just saw sneaking around the side of the building with two other young men). This assistant manager presented herself with an "epic fail" necklace and about three different colors of neon pink, purple, and yellow in her hair. And no name tag or anything stating that she even worked there. All she did was tell us the same thing, ABSOLUTELY NO HELP AT ALL AND NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I then asked to speak to the owner and she responded "he won't be in for awhile." THIS PLACE IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING AND RUN DOWN.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple