“Like a nightmare.”

Chincoteague Inn
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Like a nightmare.”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The whole building was run down and dirty. When got to our room the door was unlocked, turned out that the door was broken and could not be locked. The room smelled like mildew and something musky. The carpets were dirty and there were body hairs on the sheets when I pulled back the cover. When my husband pulled out a hand towel he said a dead cockroach looking thing fell out. They switched our room to another, but it was just as bad.
I finally went to the front desk, the lady working there was obviously in high school and had all her friends in the lobby doing their hair and make-up with her.
I told her that due to my allergies I just cannot stay there, I couldn't breathe! The lady called the manager who was away, who told her to just give me some air freshener. I declined the air freshener knowing that it would not help my breathing issue, and asked for my money back atleast for one day since we had paid for two nights. They would not return our money.
I just returned my keys and we went to the Quality Inn next store. That room seemed like a piece of heaven compared to that youknowwhat hole.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SarahSJ13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were appalled at the condition of this hotel. The floors had dead cockroaches and other strange bugs. The walls and floors were dirty. There was garbage sitting in the hallways and the carpets were disgusting! We would not recommend this hotel if you like cleanliness. They refused to refund our money and we refused to stay.

Room Tip: The Sunrise Motel is clean and comfortable with the best rates on the island.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank princesspmw

Travelers are raving about these Chincoteague Island hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Located downtown, within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Not fancy, but clean and staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lollihollis
South Jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This is an affordable hotel in a good location. I found it completely adequate for my needs. The room was clean, comfortable and secure. The service was prompt, efficient and unobtrusive. It wasn't fancy, that's true. The room wasn't beautiful. But it was a good value. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed at this motel a couple of years back. It was tolerable for the price. A can of Lysol and it was as right as rain. The Lysol was still necessary for the musty smell this year. It was obvious from minute one that things had deteriorated just by looking at the building and the trash laying around. This time the cleaning staff apparently did not know what their jobs were with the exception of one girl. The tub was black when we arrived, mirrors streaked, floor kind of slimy (though that may have been my over exuberance with the Lysol). They did bring in towels, empty trash and made beds the first two days. The last two days we were lucky to get towels and the trash emptied and forget the beds. There were dime sized black spots on the sheets and pillow cases which truly grossed me out. On our last night there was a couple put above us who turned into 4 people and a couple of kids who liked the nightlife. No sleep for us even though I complained twice and was told there was only a couple in the room despite the crying baby and running toddler at midnight. I asked if those two black men were a couple and she said she would check. LOL. Oh and for some reason they took down the curtains and left only blinds. That is one big assed night light when the lights come on outside and gives you this uncomfortable feeling in your gut. One morning we had no hot water and staff had to "flip a switch". The toilet handle had to be held down to flush it. I didn't really appreciate the water dripping on my head when I opened the outside door (from the AC dripping into a bucket from upstairs) either and that same door had a huge gap under it for the bugs to zoom in at night and eat you alive. On a positive note they are close to some stores and restaurants and it was dirt cheap. The pool is also quite nice. There is free coffee and tea in the morning. The staff was young and polite but ineffective when dealing with problems. Oh and don't show up before 2 PM wanting to get into the room or it will cost you 16.95. Just remember that in this case you get what you pay for. I will have a real hard time returning because of those spots. Will update next year with my new home away from home on the island we love so dearly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suze25
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Good for sleeping. Nothing special. The only thing I didn't like was that my card was charged after booking online and not at end of visit as was stated in the ad.
It was clean and at a central location between beach and shopping area.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We traveled with a 9 and 13 year old. The hotel was perfectly fine as a no frills beach motel. It is perfectly clean but that's about it! The bathroom was very small and the beds "squishy" but if you're looking for an outdoor swimming pool, a clean room, fresh brewed coffee in the morning all at a budget price, this is the place for you. If you're used to luxury hotels, this is not the place.
The hotel is 4 1/2 miles from the beach - Assateague is an undeveloped beach so you will not find any beachfront hotels or homes here. There are 3 floors to this hotel, all outdoor entrances, shared open balcony - the remodeled rooms have a small refrigerator and a microwave. Soap, shampoo and lotion are supplied daily. There is a screened outdoor pavillion out back with charcoal grills and a working stove (pots & pans supplied). Centrally located to many shops and restaurants and the trolley picks you up right out front at night. All in all, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family